New Journey tune "City Of Hope"

Great Album

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 4 2011, 12:40 PM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0IKs8CYHNM

Sorry! It's "The City Of Nope" for me!

I can't stand Arnel. WEAK.

The song is so polished I might slip listening to it.

Once Steve Smith left the band it was all over although I will say that Deen Castronovo is an excellent drummer and actually has better pipes than Arnel. JMO

Saying that however, I'm a huge fan of the first three records without PERRY!

Dunbar is a a heavy hitter too!

Damn Journey used to be great!

Signed,

"LOOK INTO THE FUTURE" 1022.gif

It is just okay on the first listening. I am glad for Arnel; kid is living his dream. It is a wonderful story.

But as for the song, it does not sound like Journey. Either as a band or as individuals. Doesn't sound like Schon. Sounds like he is trying to sound "modern".

The first 3 albums with Perry were great. The ones before him were even better.

To me, this was some of the best Journey. Check them out!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ-mHqw7XfE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS_hLoo_VqY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTHhVJp3KY4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krRmUf559-w&feature=related

Smith is good, but has nowhere the feel of Dunbar. No contest.

QUOTE (Pags @ Apr 8 2011, 10:02 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 7 2011, 05:08 PM)
Not a bad song in and of itself. However, I am not fond of bands who continually regroup and hire vocalists simply because they sound like a previous vocalist.

They did a much better job replacing Steve Perry with Steve Augeri than they did with Arnel Pineda. Pineda's voice has a very wide range and he can hit incredible notes - but never have I heard a singer with less soul and conviction in his voice than this guy. Everything he sings is lifeless even when it's stellar. Augeri doesn't have that kind of range, but he had plenty of heart and at least you could connect with his voice. I'd rather have that.

Augeri is better, he's more of a proper rock singer.

I'm not sure why they dumped Jeff Scott Soto for this guy, I prefer him too. It's not like the new guy sounds that much like Perry on this track.

The track itself is just ok, I mean it can't be that good if an interesting chord just before the chorus is the the highlight of the whole tune...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 7 2011, 10:48 AM)
Not a bad song in and of itself. However, I am not fond of bands who continually regroup and hire vocalists simply because they sound like a previous vocalist.

They did a much better job replacing Steve Perry with Steve Augeri than they did with Arnel Pineda. Pineda's voice has a very wide range and he can hit incredible notes - but never have I heard a singer with less soul and conviction in his voice than this guy. Everything he sings is lifeless even when it's stellar. Augeri doesn't have that kind of range, but he had plenty of heart and at least you could connect with his voice. I'd rather have that.

I'm not sure why they dumped Jeff Scott Soto for this guy, I prefer him too. It's not like the new guy sounds that much like Perry on this track.

The track itself is just ok, I mean it can't be that good if an interesting chord just before the chorus is the the highlight of the whole tune...

anyone familiar with Augeri's late 80's band Tall Stories? Great album.

http://hardrockheavymetal.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/tall-stories-self-titled-1991.jpg

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 7 2011, 02:12 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 7 2011, 10:48 AM)

anyone familiar with Augeri's late 80's band Tall Stories? Great album.

http://hardrockheavymetal.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/tall-stories-self-titled-1991.jpg

Actually, yes! Some good stuff on there. trink39.gif

QUOTE (vital signz @ Jun 8 2011, 09:33 AM)
I just do not understand how great bands just cannot get along and stay together. I Perry could have just gotten back in his groove, Journey could still be around...

It is good with Pineda, just not great like it used to be.

Agreed. But I must admit, Journey has put down some really strong material post-Perry.

I'm finally checking out Eclipse. This album has a MUCH better sound and vibe to it than Revelation. It's darker, grooves better, and grabs you more.

I'm actually latching onto Pineda's voice more on these songs. Good stuff.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 7 2011, 12:48 PM)

I'm still scratching my head over the "firing" of Jeff Scott Soto. I just don't get it, while Arnel does have a great voice I don't think he's as good or as versatile as JSS.

QUOTE (Pags @ Jun 8 2011, 07:49 PM)
I'm finally checking out Eclipse. This album has a MUCH better sound and vibe to it than Revelation. It's darker, grooves better, and grabs you more.

I'm actually latching onto Pineda's voice more on these songs. Good stuff.

Agree, it is a better album than Revelation. It is heavier and has a better groove.

I think that they have really tried to emphasize the guitars in compensation for those that are still have an issue with Arnel. My crazy take on it is that they have overemphasizes the guitars and keyboards trying to make it sound more like Journey than actual Journey. In doing this, they have made a great Night Ranger album. Again, that's just my crazy analysis.