Geddy Lee Voted Fourth Best Bassist of All Time

snowdogged

QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 4 2011, 01:47 PM)
Cliff Burton? Really?

if you put Cliff Burton and Michael Anthony in a bass competition it's doubtful that either would play anything outside of the key of E...or in Cliff's case "drop D"....

Both were/are great at making gurgling/farting noises with the instruments though.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (druid13 @ Apr 4 2011, 01:51 PM)
QUOTE (presto123 @ Apr 4 2011, 01:47 PM)
Cliff Burton? Really?

if you put Cliff Burton and Michael Anthony in a bass competition it's doubtful that either would play anything outside of the key of E...or in Cliff's case "drop D"....

Both were/are great at making gurgling/farting noises with the instruments though.

Yeah...Steve Harris can play circles around Cliff Burton.

QUOTE (druid13 @ Apr 4 2011, 01:43 PM)
I also can't believe they missed the Best Bass player in the world

Gene Simmons

How do I know he is the best?

because when I saw KISS they said "You wanted the Best you got the Best...." etc...

that is how I know.

rofl3.gif goodpost.gif

I think you could probably play every single Van Halen bass line using only the E String....

So bad that when my bass player friend and I did Van Halen covers live we could literally switch mid song ( I would jump from Drums to Bass and vice versa)

Cliff is nothing more than chromatic farting.....although I appreciated his enthusiasm.....not much to actually listen to though.

Lar Ulrich is doing his best to set back drumming 100 years.

QUOTE (druid13 @ Apr 4 2011, 02:03 PM)
I think you could probably play every single Van Halen bass line using only the E String....

So bad that when my bass player friend and I did Van Halen covers live we could literally switch mid song ( I would jump from Drums to Bass and vice versa)

Cliff is nothing more than chromatic farting.....although I appreciated his enthusiasm.....not much to actually listen to though.

Lar Ulrich is doing his best to set back drumming 100 years.

And with only one finger on each hand...

Anthony sure could punch his bass and chug (fake?) Whiskey though....

hell Geddy could never have pulled that sh*t off....no way. cool.gif

it kind of has that effect that Big Time Country concerts do...you know where the lead singer has the band hit one chord..stop..silence...then stands there with his arms crossed nodding looking at the audience while grinning like an idiot.

I hate that type of 'showmanship'. ..it's just cheesy annoying pandering.

Good for Geddy. Respect to Cliff Burton (classical music education, Master of Puppet), my personal favourite from Finland was missing, also rip, Pekka Pohjola. Lemmy Kilmister should have replaced Sir Paul..

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 3 2011, 11:38 PM)
QUOTE (garbo @ Apr 3 2011, 11:57 PM)
McCartney?!  WTF.  The only good contribution any Beatles member has given to the Universe was Caveman and that was for its cracky goodness.

Have you actually listened to McCartney's bass playing?

Yep, quite a bit actually. Apart from the Rolling Stones (who I actually enjoy because I think they're fun), I think they're most overrated band and stylistically incredibly simple. To each his own. Most of my friends love them and I respect my friends for loving them, they're just not my thing. However, I love Caveman.

When I was in college and majoring in music a lot professors bashed the Beatles and theorized that their fame, similar to that of Mozart's came on account of them breaking up so soon and then Lennon's death and that if they had run their course they wouldn't have been as famous. However, some said otherwise, it just depended on which professor you talked to. Actually one of my favorite diction professors loved Rush, so there you go. A lot of music professors liked crazy unknown classical composers and prog rock.

Haha, I actually tried forcing myself to like the Beatles... yeah, that did not happen. But, I tried! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER @ Apr 3 2011, 10:46 PM)

I can't understand why Geezer Butler gets no love. He rips and was an innovator and plays a lot of amazing bass lines besides just Iron Man

He can make sounds on his bass that no one can. Check YouTube on Black Sabbath/ Geezer and especially his bass solos.

you dont hafta sell me on Geezer. His bass is the #1 thing I listen to when I listen to Black Sabbath's first 5 or 6 albums. OK, that and Iommi's riffs.

QUOTE (tangy @ Apr 4 2011, 12:46 PM)
QUOTE (traeplien @ Apr 4 2011, 11:46 AM)
With all due respect, no Stanley Clarke on the list means no credibility, period!! Stanley is the Jimi Hendrix of bass playing. Nobody even close to the guy. If we're just talking rock, how the hell is Chris Squire not on the list??? Entwhistle, Lee and Squire are far and away the 3 best bass players in rock history, imo. Btw, don't underestimate Flea. The man is amazing.

yeah, i am another fan of flea. not sure where he should be ranked but he is killer. I love freaky styley and the uplift mofo party plan the best and stopped listening entirely after BSSM but have no doubt he is still killing it.

an interesting note on flea is that he has played on some very great ablums as a guest musician. not on the bass but rather on the trumpet. he played on janes addiction nothings shocking and the mars volta deloused in the comatorium.

Pretty sure he played bass on Young Mc's Bust a move too. common001.gif

He has played with Stanley Clarke. That says all you need to know about him. I saw a mention of John Paul Jones. Perhaps the most underrated of them all. Couldn't imagine another bassist playing with Bonzo. Yes, JPJ is easily top 10.

I'm actually kinda okay with this list. Is it representative of the actual 10 best bass players of all time? Of course not! But 4th is pretty respectable for a guy who was once Rolling Stone's whipping boy number 1.

As for the others; Flea is a damn good bass player. His energy and ability to deal with the demands of that job are admirable. There is an old saying: "Wanna know how good the bass player is--take a look at the drummer. Wanna know how good a drummer is..." Chad Smith is a great drummer. Bonham is the greatest ever. Moon is a legend. Peart isPeart. And Ringo Starr is.......Ahhhh, well, the readers can't be perfect all the time.

Someone mentioned Steve Harris over Cliff Burton. LOL, couldn't agree more but lets face it, these are readers of Rolling Stone.

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Apr 4 2011, 12:36 PM)
The problem with fan lists is that they may not have enough information or history. Modern bass came from jazz. People like Charles Mingus never get a mention.

Or James Jamerson.

The poll is a fraud.

I dont take lists like these seriously, because they usually just pick the biggest names/widely known people. I mean cmon, they always list kurt cobain as a great guitarist. People who arent musicians shouldnt vote on things like this.

Well, ill just quote my husband...

"Geddy makes everyone else sould like liquid sh!t."

Lol

Seems like this isnt just based on ability. Everyone knows Geddy is a stronger player than McCartney, but he was the bassist in the freaking Beatles! I think that alone put him up there. They are legendary and far more influential than Rush could ever be, so I dont really have a problem with him being higher than Geddy, considering this clearly isnt solely based on skill.

Flea is a maniac on bass. The dude can really play. People think he's just a slap master, but his finger work is extremely evolved as well. He does a lot of complex 3 finger plucking stuff that Geddy has never done. I would definitely say some of what he does is harder to pull off than anything Geddy ever has, but for Geddy to make that list is pretty huge. Outside of hardcore Rush fans noone seems to care about them, or even know they are still making music. Rush doesnt get the respect they deserve, so its a little something for Rolling Stone to recognize him.

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 5 2011, 09:28 AM)
Seems like this isnt just based on ability. Everyone knows Geddy is a stronger player than McCartney, but he was the bassist in the freaking Beatles! I think that alone put him up there. They are legendary and far more influential than Rush could ever be, so I dont really have a problem with him being higher than Geddy, considering this clearly isnt solely based on skill.

Flea is a maniac on bass. The dude can really play. People think he's just a slap master, but his finger work is extremely evolved as well. He does a lot of complex 3 finger plucking stuff that Geddy has never done. I would definitely say some of what he does is harder to pull off than anything Geddy ever has, but for Geddy to make that list is pretty huge. Outside of hardcore Rush fans noone seems to care about them, or even know they are still making music. Rush doesnt get the respect they deserve, so its a little something for Rolling Stone to recognize him.

When you say " no one seems to care about them", who are you referring to?

QUOTE (WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER @ Apr 3 2011, 10:46 PM)
I am okay with Geddy's 4th ranking, although maybe a little generous, with all that great talent coming in behind him.

I can't understand why Geezer Butler gets no love. He rips and was an innovator and plays a lot of amazing bass lines besides just Iron Man

He can make sounds on his bass that no one can. Check YouTube on Black Sabbath/ Geezer and especially his bass solos.

Sign of the Southern Cross and Stonehenge are good examples.

Bassically is as well as all of NIB.

Archived