Geddy Lee Voted Fourth Best Bassist of All Time

snowdogged

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's based on JUST skill and talent Geddy is obviously better than Flea and McCartney.

If they're talking about overall (skill, innovation, etc.) then there could be a case for McCartney against Geddy. But overall Geddy smokes a lot of those people on that list.

Victor Wooten got to number 10! This is a good day in Rolling Stone history!

I don't think Geddy can smoke that many people on the list. When it comes to McCartney or Flea, he could easily take them out.

I am okay with Geddy's 4th ranking, although maybe a little generous, with all that great talent coming in behind him.

I can't understand why Geezer Butler gets no love. He rips and was an innovator and plays a lot of amazing bass lines besides just Iron Man

He can make sounds on his bass that no one can. Check YouTube on Black Sabbath/ Geezer and especially his bass solos.

QUOTE (Alex @ Apr 3 2011, 10:46 PM)
If it's based on JUST skill and talent Geddy is obviously better than Flea and McCartney.

If they're talking about overall (skill, innovation, etc.) then there could be a case for McCartney against Geddy. But overall Geddy smokes a lot of those people on that list.

Flea is a machine. Give him an honest listen.

QUOTE (Riv @ Apr 3 2011, 10:48 PM)

Although I'm not a fan of the Red Hot Chilli Peppers, he is a machine. I just don't like how stiff he looks when he plays (maybe I've played strings for too long), but he is pretty crazy.

McCartney?! WTF. The only good contribution any Beatles member has given to the Universe was Caveman and that was for its cracky goodness.

Holy shit, Victor Wooten. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif wub.gif

ETA: everyone else slaps the bass; Victor Wooten SHREDS the bass. Why is he not number one?

Edited by garbo

QUOTE (garbo @ Apr 3 2011, 10:57 PM)

Although I'm not a fan of the Red Hot Chilli Peppers, he is a machine. I just don't like how stiff he looks when he plays (maybe I've played strings for too long), but he is pretty crazy.

McCartney?! WTF. The only good contribution any Beatles member has given to the Universe was Caveman and that was for its cracky goodness.

Holy shit, Victor Wooten. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif wub.gif

ETA: everyone else slaps the bass; Victor Wooten SHREDS the bass. Why is he not number one?

McCartney was technically a pretty decent bass player in the Beatles but what made him great was the amazing grooves that he would come up with. Listen to the bass line from 'Come Together'. That's an amazing groove there and he has a lot of really good bass lines like that in a lot of the Beatles later era stuff.

QUOTE (garbo @ Apr 3 2011, 11:57 PM)

Have you actually listened to McCartney's bass playing?

While I'm glad the great Geddy Lee is on this list, I hate lists like this because they always leave a very qualified person off of it. Chris Squire is the 1st one that comes to mind for me. He was, and really still is amazing. Just saw him last week and was surprised how good he still is.

QUOTE (Weatherman2112 @ Apr 4 2011, 06:26 AM)
While I'm glad the great Geddy Lee is on this list, I hate lists like this because they always leave a very qualified person off of it. Chris Squire is the 1st one that comes to mind for me. He was, and really still is amazing. Just saw him last week and was surprised how good he still is.

It was the first name missing that came into my mind as well. But we shouldn't expect too much of RS. They seem to have stopped ignoring Rush. You can't expect them to stop ignoring/ bashing Yes as well. All their crappy musical ideals would crumble to dust in a second.

I'm quite content with Geddy on 4, btw. Flea is a freak, McCartney is just as underappreciated as Harrison and Starr, and Entwistle IS prolly the best bass player ever in a rock band. Yet - Where's Lynott?

Edited by barchetta90480

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Apr 3 2011, 09:49 PM)
Rolling Stone schla03.gif

I don't need their outlook on musicians to decide for myself new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

It was a readers poll, so RS didn't really make the list.

They goofed with Jaco Pastorius's year of death - they say it was 1982, but it was 1987.

Hell, at least he made the list. He's awesome!!

With all due respect, no Stanley Clarke on the list means no credibility, period!! Stanley is the Jimi Hendrix of bass playing. Nobody even close to the guy. If we're just talking rock, how the hell is Chris Squire not on the list??? Entwhistle, Lee and Squire are far and away the 3 best bass players in rock history, imo. Btw, don't underestimate Flea. The man is amazing.

QUOTE (traeplien @ Apr 4 2011, 11:46 AM)
With all due respect, no Stanley Clarke on the list means no credibility, period!! Stanley is the Jimi Hendrix of bass playing. Nobody even close to the guy. If we're just talking rock, how the hell is Chris Squire not on the list??? Entwhistle, Lee and Squire are far and away the 3 best bass players in rock history, imo. Btw, don't underestimate Flea. The man is amazing.

yeah, i am another fan of flea. not sure where he should be ranked but he is killer. I love freaky styley and the uplift mofo party plan the best and stopped listening entirely after BSSM but have no doubt he is still killing it.

an interesting note on flea is that he has played on some very great ablums as a guest musician. not on the bass but rather on the trumpet. he played on janes addiction nothings shocking and the mars volta deloused in the comatorium.

Pretty sure he played bass on Young Mc's Bust a move too. common001.gif

Ged was also mentioned in the article by les claypool:

Les Claypool is one of the all-time best slap bass players. One of his early heroes was Geddy Lee. "When I saw my first Rush concert, I spent the whole time watching Geddy's hands," Claypool told Bass Player Magazine. "There were so many things I didn't know; I didn't even know there were such things as roundwound strings. I'd had that Memphis a year and a half without changing the strings, and here I was trying to sound like Geddy Lee and Chris Squire."

Victor is a monster and the flecktones are touring for the first time in 17 years with howard levy!!!

1022.gif

QUOTE (garbo @ Apr 3 2011, 10:57 PM)

I'm not a fan of Flea or V. Wooten because they both strike me as showoffs, Wooten more so. I always hear Victor Wooten's technique more than I hear his music, if that makes sense...

Flea has some awesome lines, especially on Stadium Arcadium. Lots of melodic lines there, but still, he annoys me with the slap a lot (that's just me, haha).

My top three would be:

1. Geddy Lee - There are many more technically proficient players out there, but Geddy always seems to know the perfect line for the song, and he's able to control himself so that he doesn't overplay. Add the fact that he's singing and controlling all those keys at they same time...

2. P-Nut (311) - He always knows what to play, and he's one of the very few slap bassists I can listen to and not feel like he's just showing off. It always manages to fit perfectly into the song.

3. Juan Alderette (Racer X, The Mars Volta, and more) - A bass player that can show off and still has the perfect line for the song. I love this guy.

Basically for me, I don't care a single bit how fast, complicated, or technical the bass line is, I care how musical it is.

Yeah but have John Paul Jones in there particularly THAT song is like admitting it is nothing more than a popularity contest.

Kudos to Wooten being in there.

No Stanley?.....boo.

Levin...?

I think the Squire thing gets a bit overblown....Prog people love em...his sound is legendary for sure....but his playing does not excite me anymore.

I also can't believe they missed the Best Bass player in the world

Gene Simmons

How do I know he is the best?

because when I saw KISS they said "You wanted the Best you got the Best...." etc...

that is how I know.