Things that give you the heebie-jeebies

Mara

What inexplicable things make your skin crawl? Not "phobias", per se. Just odd things that gross you out for no real reason, or give you the shivers.

Like me. I HATE touching tub/shower/pool drains. It's not because I'm afraid of being sucked in or anything - it just grosses me out.

Ditto large deposits of hair, especially if it's wet. Even THINKING about it can make me gag. I don't even like cleaning out my own hairbrush (I do it, just don't like it).

My mom is grossed out by peach pits.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Baby drool.

I have three kids, and I spent a good time on the verge of gagging while they were all teething. Spit-up was no big deal to me. But, that slimey, gooey drool all over them and anything they came in contact with made me want to ralph. When my youngest was teething, we had a lab puppy who would lick it off her face. It was the foulest thing I'd ever seen. wacko.gif

Cockroaches. There are no words to this irrational fear.

In fact, my roommate's cat has started bringing them in the house and the other night she brought in a FLYING one and I took off running, leapt onto the bed, however, I missed, flew over the bed, and landed on the elliptical. In between laughing and crying, we heard a loud crack and we thought I broke my foot. It's huge and bruised, but I can walk on it. Thankfully the dog came and licked my face, but I was still screeching, "DID YOU KILL THE COCKROACH?!"

Even upon suspicion of a cockroach, I will start screaming and leaping in the air. It's so shaming.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Apr 3 2011, 04:53 PM)
Baby drool.

I was gonna say that! laugh.gif

I visited a friend of mine for his birthday a little while ago, and his son and daughter-in-law were there too of course, and they brought their new kid. He drooled quite a lot. It was gross. wacko.gif

Wet bread also grosses me out, don't ask why.

And I hate those waste disposal things in American sinks. They give me the shivers. scared.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 3 2011, 12:42 PM)
Ditto large deposits of hair, especially if it's wet. Even THINKING about it can make me gag. I don't even like cleaning out my own hairbrush (I do it, just don't like it).

This yes.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

Vomit. Any kind of vomit from anybody/anything. Big time "heebie-jeebies" from that. 062802puke_prv.gif <-even that smily gives me the pukies but it's funny enough to make it tolerable laugh.gif

Leftovers in the fridge. I'll eat leftovers, but the sight of leftovers in many cases does not stir my appetite.

Sometimes opening a can of particular kinds of soup. Once heated, I'm fine.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Apr 3 2011, 08:44 PM)
Leftovers in the fridge. I'll eat leftovers, but the sight of leftovers in many cases does not stir my appetite.

Sometimes opening a can of particular kinds of soup. Once heated, I'm fine.

Dude I'm not a fan of leftovers. If theyre taken out of the fridge, heated and served, maybe I can tolerate them, but if theres a picked-at chicken in the fridge (which there usually is in mine) I will NOT go near it.

This is a rational aversion, but here it is anyway: When you're talking to someone and he matter-of-factly starts picking his nose.....I just wanna deck him ....angry.gif Just how RUDE and disgusting can you get??!! wtf.gif

Irrational aversion: Really wimpy, limp handshakes.....especially when a man gives one. 062802puke_prv.gif I can understand why women do it, as they are, in general, not as "rough and tough" as men. When I shake a man's hand, I expect a firm, assertive grip - not a rubbery dead fish or a flaccid weakling touch. It makes me want to go wash my hands afterwards, just to get that "feel" off of me.....!!

Edited by Workaholic Man

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Apr 3 2011, 08:48 PM)
This is a rational aversion, but here it is anyway: When you're talking to someone and he matter-of-factly starts picking his nose.....I just wanna deck him ....angry.gif Just how RUDE and disgusting can you get??!! wtf.gif

Irrational aversion: Really wimpy, limp handshakes.....especially when a man gives one. 062802puke_prv.gif I can understand why women do it, as they are, in general, not as "rough and tough" as men. When I shake a man's hand, I expect a firm, assertive grip - not a rubbery dead fish or a flaccid weakling touch. It makes me want to go wash my hands afterwards, just to get that "feel" off of me.....!!

Have you seriously had someone start picking their nose in front of you?!? That is disgusting, and I probably would say so. Yuck!

QUOTE (sullysue @ Apr 3 2011, 09:25 PM)
This is a rational aversion, but here it is anyway:  When you're talking to someone and he matter-of-factly starts picking his nose.....I just wanna deck him ....angry.gif  Just how RUDE and disgusting can you get??!!  wtf.gif

Irrational aversion:  Really wimpy, limp handshakes.....especially when a man gives one.  062802puke_prv.gif  I can understand why women do it, as they are, in general, not as "rough and tough" as men.  When I shake a man's hand, I expect a firm, assertive grip - not a rubbery dead fish or a flaccid weakling touch.  It makes me want to go wash my hands afterwards, just to get that "feel" off of me.....!!

Have you seriously had someone start picking their nose in front of you?!? That is disgusting, and I probably would say so. Yuck!

One of my co-workers does it quite often....and he doesn't mess around, either. He goes trophy hunting.... 062802puke_prv.gif He's a good worker, but he's the "half-illiterate farmer" type who grew up with no manners. We try our best to tolerate him..... confused13.gif

Ditto. It's kind of a professional turn-off for me.

If I shake someone's hand (especially a man's) I expect a firm handshake. The only exceptions are if I can tell they're older and might be suffering arthritis or something, or if I'm in the midst of a different culture (i.e. a Native American reservation; it's considered rude in many of the native cultures to give an especially firm handshake).

Clarinets and oboes have always given me the heebie-jeebies, even when played by professionals. I just don't like how either sounds, unless the player goes into the low, low register. It makes my skin crawl. Makes something creep up my spine. Just ugh!

And I have an irrational fear of waterbugs. But they're huge, and gross, and if you try to smack it it goes "SPLAT" and next thing you know there are bug guts all over the bathroom tiles. Spiders? Fine. Tarantulas? Fuzzy and adorable. Snakes? I want one! But those waterbugs.. gross. Worse than mosquitos and moths and wasps and Japanese beetles smooshed together. They're harmless but outright nasty.

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Apr 3 2011, 09:48 PM)
When I shake a man's hand, I expect a firm, assertive grip - not a rubbery dead fish or a flaccid weakling touch. It makes me want to go wash my hands afterwards, just to get that "feel" off of me.....!!

I read this and could only think about this one bit in Ron White's 'You Can't Fix Stupid' where he shook hands with a guy with a flipper hand. rofl3.gif

Hipsters and furries.

Touching a really dry finish paint or drywall with my nails. If I accidentally run my hand against a painted wall, I just cringe.

Paper cuts. I shudder every time I think of them.

Vomit. Just -- yuck! I won't go near my dog if he threw up that day.

I HATE it when people sneeze or cough without some kind of blockage. Just spreading germs into the open air is gross.

And, sharing drinks. Especially that last sip that you feel could be backwash.

QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ Apr 3 2011, 11:34 PM)
QUOTE (Kenneth @ Apr 3 2011, 08:23 PM)
irrational aversions?

none.

What about talking to girls?

laugh.gif