Not supporting Rush financially anymore

GeminiRising79

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 3 2011, 11:14 PM)
QUOTE (Riv @ Apr 3 2011, 11:10 PM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Apr 3 2011, 11:08 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 3 2011, 10:40 PM)
QUOTE (Riv @ Apr 3 2011, 07:31 PM)
QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Apr 3 2011, 10:13 PM)
Goobs, I'm not sure you appreciate just how dreadful the situation with music sales is. Not only is there no money to be made, it's actually worse than that. The fact is, writing, producing and promoting an album of the kind of standards expected of Rush would most likely be a money-losing proposition at this point, possibly to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars or more. It's completely unreasonable to expect other people to throw away that kind of money simply to satisfy your notions of artistic integrity.

They should do it because that is what they do! Musicians make music!

goodpost.gif applaudit.gif

That seems so obvious to me.

And it's pretty simple. Add one more date to a tour, and voila, the album is paid for - the fans are happy, and the band gets to continue the creative process that is the basis of what being in a band is.

Remember, there's a record label, producer and a lot of other people who have a say in things.

If they really wanted to they could put out their own albums. Much poorer bands do it every day. Start their own label...like moon records! Or Rocinante.

How much does it cost to write, record, mix, master, package, ship and promote an album on a professional level? As rich as some of us think Rush is, if they record an album out of pocket, they will probably lose money.

Why is everything about money? Geddy has a goddamn wine cellar. Do you? It's always about the music. If I had the talent to create a brilliant album, I'd do it and put a second and third mortgage on my house.

By the way... Some of the greatest albums have been recorded in studios on a matter of days...not 10 months of exorbitant fees (or longer) they spent in the studio for VT. Just sayin'.

QUOTE (Riv @ Apr 3 2011, 11:18 PM)
Goobs, I'm not sure you appreciate just how dreadful the situation with music sales is. Not only is there no money to be made, it's actually worse than that. The fact is, writing, producing and promoting an album of the kind of standards expected of Rush would most likely be a money-losing proposition at this point, possibly to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars or more. It's completely unreasonable to expect other people to throw away that kind of money simply to satisfy your notions of artistic integrity.

And it's pretty simple. Add one more date to a tour, and voila, the album is paid for - the fans are happy, and the band gets to continue the creative process that is the basis of what being in a band is.

Remember, there's a record label, producer and a lot of other people who have a say in things.

If they really wanted to they could put out their own albums. Much poorer bands do it every day. Start their own label...like moon records! Or Rocinante.

How much does it cost to write, record, mix, master, package, ship and promote an album on a professional level? As rich as some of us think Rush is, if they record an album out of pocket, they will probably lose money.

Why is everything about money? Geddy has a goddamn wine cellar. Do you? It's always about the music. If I had the talent to create a brilliant album, I'd do it and put a second and third mortgage on my house.

Really? In this real estate market? unsure.gif

Why is it about money? It's their freakin' livelihood! That's why! Art for art's sake shouldn't bankrupt someone.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 3 2011, 11:20 PM)

Why is it about money? It's their freakin' livelihood! That's why! Art for art's sake shouldn't bankrupt someone.

laugh.gif Funny. Bankruptcy? rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Riv @ Apr 3 2011, 11:22 PM)

Hey, don't fool yourself. Most of what we consider rich is not money under the mattress or gold bars hidden in the walls. It's the "rich" who go bankrupt the most.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 3 2011, 11:24 PM)

Hey, don't fool yourself. Most of what we consider rich is not money under the mattress or gold bars hidden in the walls. It's the "rich" who go bankrupt the most.

Yeah...because they get stupid like MC Hammer and buy 100 of their closest friends mansions. I don't think Rush has that problem.

QUOTE (Riv @ Apr 3 2011, 11:35 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 3 2011, 11:24 PM)

Yeah...because they get stupid like MC Hammer and buy 100 of their closest friends mansions. I don't think Rush has that problem.

No, they don't! And it's because they won't make a bad financial investment, like starting they're own record label!

Rush does not have to be the only band on their label. Do you know how many bands they can give an opportunity to? It could be something they can make money on for the rest of their lives...then they could stop touring. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 3 2011, 10:24 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 3 2011, 10:21 PM)
QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Apr 3 2011, 07:13 PM)

Forget my notions of artistic integrity. What about wanting to create something new and exciting because you're a band and that's what bands do?

Tens of thousands of dollars? That's less than one night's take on a tour. I think they could swing it if they wanted to. wink.gif

They do. Just not to your expectations.

The two new songs, especially "Caravan," show the band wanting to move forward from S&A, take things in a new direction, while giving a nod to the outside-the-box songwriting of their past. Yet another example of them not repeating what they did on the previous album. What's to complain about that? Isn't that what makes them so enduring in the first place?

People complained that S&A was too acoustic and mid-tempo, so they put out two uptempo rockers and people still complain. I'm just glad the band does their own thing -- like they've always done -- and don't worry about comments from a handful of perpetually-disgruntled fans who keep holding up lighters in hope of another Hemispheres....which they won't get.

QUOTE (Riv @ Apr 3 2011, 10:18 PM)

Yeah, you feel that way now but if you had been doing it for forty years then you'd probably change over time and even if you didn't then you would have to find two other guys for your band who felt the same way you did for forty years. I think that we are just lucky that Rush is doing anything. They don't owe us anything. They didn't force anyone to buy their albums or go to their shows. Sure, they have money and they are use to having a lot of things that most people can not afford but they know that one day soon the money is not going to be coming in like it is now. I'm sure that they want to make a nice nest egg for when they retire. What if they retire in five years and live into their 90's. That's a long time for them to have to live off of royalties and whatever money they have now. Sure, it would seem like a lot of money to most of us but when you are living a certain lifestyle you'd probably like to think that you could continue living that lifestyle without having to worry financially.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 3 2011, 11:43 PM)

Forget my notions of artistic integrity. What about wanting to create something new and exciting because you're a band and that's what bands do?

Tens of thousands of dollars? That's less than one night's take on a tour. I think they could swing it if they wanted to. wink.gif

The two new songs, especially "Caravan," show the band wanting to move forward from S&A, take things in a new direction, while giving a nod to the outside-the-box songwriting of their past. Yet another example of them not repeating what they did on the previous album. What's to complain about that? Isn't that what makes them so enduring in the first place?

People complained that S&A was too acoustic and mid-tempo, so they put out two uptempo rockers and people still complain. I'm just glad the band does their own thing -- like they've always done -- and don't worry about comments from a handful of perpetually-disgruntled fans who keep holding up lighters in hope of another Hemispheres....which they won't get.

Rush has always challenged their fan base. I remember listening to Signals and Grace Under Pressure for the first time and thinking, "What the hell are they doing?" Well, they're artists that take risks and challenge their fans. I like that. And they're still doing it. I didn't know what to think of "Caravan" when I first heard it. Now it's disjointed arrangement is one of the most appealing things about the song.

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Apr 3 2011, 11:47 PM)
QUOTE (Riv @ Apr 3 2011, 10:18 PM)

Yeah, you feel that way now but if you had been doing it for forty years then you'd probably change over time and even if you didn't then you would have to find two other guys for your band who felt the same way you did for forty years. I think that we are just lucky that Rush is doing anything. They don't owe us anything. They didn't force anyone to buy their albums or go to their shows. Sure, they have money and they are use to having a lot of things that most people can not afford but they know that one day soon the money is not going to be coming in like it is now. I'm sure that they want to make a nice nest egg for when they retire. What if they retire in five years and live into their 90's. That's a long time for them to have to live off of royalties and whatever money they have now. Sure, it would seem like a lot of money to most of us but when you are living a certain lifestyle you'd probably like to think that you could continue living that lifestyle without having to worry financially.

I agree with that 100%. Don't get me wrong.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 3 2011, 11:48 PM)

Rush has always challenged their fan base. I remember listening to Signals and Grace Under Pressure for the first time and thinking, "What the hell are they doing?" Well, they're artists that take risks and challenge their fans. I like that. And they're still doing it. I didn't know what to think of "Caravan" when I first heard it. Now it's disjointed arrangement is one of the most appealing things about the song.

If you think about it, "Spirit of Radio" is pretty disjointed. It's loaded with weird musical passages, like the way the bass and drums play against the guitar riff in the intro, the drastic tempo changes, and the reggae section that comes out of nowhere. "La Villa" is as disjointed as it gets. "Red Barchetta" is structured without the traditional verse/chorus pattern...

These are all "disjointed" songs that old-school fans love to death. And here we have "Caravan" picking up that baton while sounding more modern. Love it.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 3 2011, 11:56 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 3 2011, 11:48 PM)

If you think about it, "Spirit of Radio" is pretty disjointed. It's loaded with weird musical passages, like the way the bass and drums play against the guitar riff in the intro, the drastic tempo changes, and the reggae section that comes out of nowhere. "La Villa" is as disjointed as it gets. "Red Barchetta" is structured without the traditional verse/chorus pattern...

These are all "disjointed" songs that old-school fans love to death. And here we have "Caravan" picking up that baton while sounding more modern. Love it.

Now this is why I love this forum. You smart guys that make me think about things differently. Love it!

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 3 2011, 08:08 PM)
QUOTE (Riv @ Apr 4 2011, 12:05 AM)
QUOTE (doublereeder @ Apr 4 2011, 12:00 AM)
eyesre4.gif
Whatever helps you sleep at night, man.

That would be whiskey, Jackass.

I think doublereeder was talking about Gemini.

I was talking about Gemini. laugh.gif

But hey, he could use whiskey too?

confused13.gif

QUOTE (doublereeder @ Apr 4 2011, 12:10 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 3 2011, 08:08 PM)
eyesre4.gif

I was talking about Gemini. laugh.gif

But hey, he could use whiskey too?

confused13.gif

laugh.gif Don't look up at me then...

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 3 2011, 11:08 PM)
eyesre4.gif

I thought he was talking about Riv also and never considered that. The eyes looking up made it seem like he was talking about Riv but maybe he was talking about Gemini.

Alright, it's been confirmed already that he was talking about Gemini but I'd prefer some Tequila.

Edited by snowdogged

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Apr 4 2011, 12:12 AM)
eyesre4.gif

I thought he was talking about Riv also and never considered that. The eyes looking up made it seem like he was talking about Riv but maybe he was talking about Gemini.

He's a she so I naturally give a pass.

QUOTE (Riv @ Apr 3 2011, 11:14 PM)
eyesre4.gif

Sorry, doublereeder, I guess I just assume most users in the forum are guys unless there is something in their name or sig that tells me differently. After all, this is a Rush forum and male Rush fans are much more common. I hope that I did not offend you! trink39.gif

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Apr 3 2011, 08:22 PM)
QUOTE (Riv @ Apr 3 2011, 11:14 PM)
eyesre4.gif

Sorry, doublereeder, I guess I just assume most users in the forum are guys unless there is something in their name or sig that tells me differently. After all, this is a Rush forum and male Rush fans are much more common. I hope that I did not offend you! trink39.gif

I don't expect everyone to know! I totally understand the assumption, so don't worry.

laugh.gif trink39.gif

aw isn't that cute, he's gonna boycott rush tongue.gif

12 pages.

good job Gemini!