What New Music Are You Into?

sullysue

I know this has probably already been done, but I couldn't find an old thread on this. Just thought since we OBVIOUSLY have so much in common, we could make some recommendations on new music. Not just new bands, but what have you bought lately that you want to share with your fellow TRF'ers? (He, he, she said F'ers .. he he.) Anyway.... We all know we're spoiled by the perfection that is 2.gif. But, I think we all look for new sounds and out-of-the-mainstream bands.

For example, I'm listening to Deaf Pedestrians, a local band out of Dallas. Again, not musically perfect, no poetry here. Just fun, loud stuff. Fav. songs are 15 Beers Ago and Yuppy Scum Mantra. (See? No poetry. Peart would drop dead in his soup if he heard these guys!)

A Canadian band called The Arcade Fire, first album "Funeral" is my favourite of the year so far. A touch of Flaming Lips/Mercury Rev, a soupcon of Talking Heads and a dash of Radiohead.

The Kaiser Chiefs' album "Employment" is another fave, as is the Kasabian album (eponymous), which has been knocking around since last year.

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ May 2 2005, 03:04 PM)
A Canadian band called The Arcade Fire, first album "Funeral" is my favourite of the year so far. A touch of Flaming Lips/Mercury Rev, a soupcon of Talking Heads and a dash of Radiohead.

The Kaiser Chiefs' album "Employment" is another fave, as is the Kasabian album (eponymous), which has been knocking around since last year.

Man, I love Kasabian! I have Club Foot about 5 times on my iTunes playlist. I'll have to get the whole CD. Heard of Kaiser Chefs, haven't listened. Do you recommend?

Mars Volta for me. Getting into a lot of jazz as well. Secret Machines. I'm always on the lookout checking out stuff I haven't listen to before. Especially material from the older guys I haven't listen to before (The Who, Hendrix, etc....) What they play on classic rock radio doesn't cover the bases AT ALL.

Kasabian for me too, the album is well worth getting, good tracks all the way through from start to finish yes.gif I'm listening to it right now!

Kaizer Chiefs are another newish UK band, not heard too many of their tracks but they are pretty good too.

Not much "new" persay, but have been revisiting a lot of the old albums I listened to a lot in the mid 80's, been replacing my cassettes with CDs finally from my old collection - recent ones include ACDC Back in Black, Iron Maiden Somewhere in Time, Til Tuesday Voices Carry, The Cult Sonic Temple and many other greats.

ACDC's Back in Black I heard again for the first time in 15 years the past week and that album just rocks - and it is probably the LOUDEST album I own...

I like the new age stuff. I have a new cd that is from India. Very kewl. Lots of fresh and different sounds. I never get bored of hearing it.

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ May 2 2005, 09:50 PM)
Not much "new" persay, but have been revisiting a lot of the old albums I listened to a lot in the mid 80's, been replacing my cassettes with CDs finally from my old collection - recent ones include ACDC Back in Black, Iron Maiden Somewhere in Time, Til Tuesday Voices Carry, The Cult Sonic Temple and many other greats.

ACDC's Back in Black I heard again for the first time in 15 years the past week and that album just rocks - and it is probably the LOUDEST album I own...

I have Back In Black on vinyl..like yourself I'd not heard it for a long time..I bought the CD two weeks ago....it ROCKS 1022.gif

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ May 2 2005, 03:50 PM)

That's cool. Stumbled across my box of albums a couple of weeks ago, and freaked out. Dire Straits, Scorpions, Van Halen, Crosby, Stills and Nash, and my 2112 on vinyl that I thought my sister had traded for a Prince album! Now, I'm looking for a good turn table so we can brainwash the kids on a whole new level. My son saw the albums and said, "Those are he hugest CDs I've ever seen!" Didn't know to laugh or cry!

The Clarks, they are a Pittsbugh band and are big around the 'Burgh.

QUOTE (defrushfan01 @ May 2 2005, 05:03 PM)
The Clarks, they are a Pittsbugh band and are big around the 'Burgh.

unfortunantly...

tongue.gif

Their drummer is easy to piss off...

New music? What is this "new music" you speak of?

confused13.gif

I'm an old fogie, I know...

smile.gif

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ May 2 2005, 04:50 PM)

That's where I seem to be as well... in sort of a 'rediscovery' mode with what I've always listened to. Suddenly I'm reaching for stuff I have not listened to in years.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ May 2 2005, 04:14 PM)
oh ye forgot Nightwish and Kamelot ...thanx to kazz

Nightwish is a long time fave but Kamelot came to me through Kazz new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Beside that I love the old Teutonic Metal like Helloween and Accept, all the way through time till our days. Also I love Synthesizer music like Jean Michel Jarre and Vangelis or Kraftwerk. Not to forget about the Gothic Rock stuff, The Cure, Fields of the Nephilim & Lacrimosa.

Alot of different styles, and none of them are common where I live (Germany). sad.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ May 2 2005, 04:17 PM)
New music? What is this "new music" you speak of?

confused13.gif

smile.gif

Number one: age is a state of mind

Number two: I'm older than you, young lady! nasty.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ May 2 2005, 04:50 PM)
New music?  What is this "new music" you speak of?

confused13.gif

smile.gif

That's no way to speak to the admins! dazed025.gif They have powers beyond your knowledge! scared.gif

tongue.gif

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ May 2 2005, 04:53 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ May 2 2005, 04:50 PM)
New music?  What is this "new music" you speak of?

confused13.gif

smile.gif

That's no way to speak to the admins! dazed025.gif They have powers beyond your knowledge! scared.gif

tongue.gif

doh.gif

BTW, GG I'm listening to Hall and Oates, She's Gone. I'm not kidding!!!! The song after this on my iTunes is Sleep Now in the Fire by Rage Against the Machine. How crazy is that?

QUOTE (Alsgalpal @ May 2 2005, 03:57 PM)
I like the new age stuff. I have a new cd that is from India. Very kewl. Lots of fresh and different sounds. I never get bored of hearing it.

The artist is Karsh Kale. He is now my new avatar. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Fantastic music!!!!

I can honestly say that I'm not into any new music.. Most of what I listen to is old... 70's or 80's... Life has a way of doing that to you. Seems like all I do these days is work and take care of the house and the family. I hardly have time to keep up on what's new any more..

I think I can list the last 5 CD's I've purchased:

Rush - Feedback

Marillion - Marbles

Rush - Vapor Trails

Marillion - Anoraknophobia

Iron Maiden - Brave New World

And that goes back 5 years!! 5 CDs in 5 years! Not bad... LOL

laugh.gif

Edited by Earthshine