Favorite Type of Bonus Material

The Owl

What type of Bouns material available with Special Editions/Reissues of studio albums is your favorite?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What type of Bouns material available with Special Editions/Reissues of studio albums is your favorite?

• Live Tracks
    • Extra Track
    • B-Side
    • Interviews
    • Studio Runs
    • Rehearsal
    • Single Versions/ Radio Edits
    • Alternate Version/ Extended Version/ Alternate Mix
    • Demo Versions
    • Cover
    • Other - If you can think of something else

For purposes of the thread here are the definitions...

"Live Tracks" - Easy Enough to define, this is a bonus track that is a live recording of a song as a bonus... Usually (but not always) a live version of a song on the actual studio album the bonus track is appearing on.. (Example: Live version of "Cloudy Now" on the SE of "Blackfileld I" by Blackfield)

"Extra Track" - These are tracks that are usually recorded during the recording cycle of the studio album they are appearing on... but did not make or were never intended to be on the actual album, these are original songs as much as the studio material, but were never on the actual album... (Example: "Drown With Me" on the European Special Edition of "In Absentia" by Porcupine Tree)

"B-Side" - Similar to Extra Track, but these songs have actually seen commercial release before, as the B-Side of a single... (Example: "Sweet Little Thing" on the 2007 Reissue of UFO's Phenomenon)

"Interviews"- Not music but an interview with the artist about the album or a track on the album at hand (Example "An Interview with Ian Anderson and Martin Barre on the 25th anniversary edition of Jethro Tull's Thick as a Brick")

"Studio Runs" - A full studio version of a track that appears on the album, but non-tracked, and non-edited... just presented as is.. (Example: "The Gates of Delirium" (Studio run-through) on the 2003 reissue of Yes's "Relayer")

"Rehearsal" - Also similar to the Studio Runs but less focus on accuracy, sometimes there can be stoppage during the song, and jokes amongst the band while rehearsing....(Example: "Parallels" (Rehearsal Version) on the 2003 reissue of "Going for the One)

"Single Versions/Radio Edit"- Usually a Shortened, or just a "fraction/section of an epic" version of a song on the original studio release...and intended for radio airplay (Example: "Your Move" (Radio Edit) on the 2003 reissue of Yes's "The Yes Album"

"Alternate Version/Extended Version/ Alternate Mix" - Another Version or Mix of a track that is on the regular studio album, but with alternate mixing/ alternate editing/ or a longer version...etc (Example "The Sky Moves Sideways (Alternate Version) on the Expanded Edition of Porcupine Tree's "The Sky Moves Sideways")

"Demo Version" - Pre-recorded materiel used for the basis of a song on the album before it was recorded... recorded during or before the writing process of the album . (Example: "Dance With the Devil (Original Demo) " on the Limited Edition of Spock's Beard's "Bridge Across Forever)

"Cover" - A recorded version (Live or Studio) of another artist song, placed as bonus material on that album...common I don't need to tell you what a cover is (Example: "Stargazer" on the Special Edition of Dream Theater's "Black Clouds and Silver Linings" Originally by Rainbow)

"Other" Can you think of any other type of bouns material I cannot...post it

I think B-side and Extra Track should have been the same category... but Idunno..

I voted Alternate Version/Alternate Mix... I love when I see one of these on a SE of an album... My favorite is the Alternate version of "And You and I" on the Reissue of Close to the Edge... I like the different ending on that one.. I always like to see acoustic version as bonus material as well, and that would go under this category.

B-Sides of Extra Tracks would be a close second/third.... because usually those are the more rare tracks... and are always a jewel when they crop of... and it is something "new" to listen to.

Extra track or B-side. I generally don't like bonus tracks, and I don't always listen to them. It changes the flow of the album, and I prefer to listen to an album how the artist/band originally intended the album to be listened to.

I do, however, listen to the bonus tracks certain albums like The Yes Album and Close To The Edge, among others.

ETA: I'd rather have a full album with just bonus tracks/B-sides like Porcupine Tree's Recordings.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Mar 27 2011, 09:01 PM)

ETA: I'd rather have a full album with just bonus tracks/B-sides like Porcupine Tree's Recordings.

To be honest I agree with this.... but the bonus stuff on SEs are always good... and I don't always listen to them, but occasionally I do...

I have something similar to Porcupine Tree's Recordings as well... it is a Dream Theater (I think it was a fan club release) album called "When Demos and Single Unite" very good collection of songs in multiple categories that I listed.

I also might add, and I know I am in the minority, that I am a fan of cover versions as well.... I have alot of them in my iTunes library, and they are generally good..

personal favorite.. I LOVE Opeth's cover of "Bridge of Sighs" (originally by Robin Trower) on the Special Edition of "Watershed"

Single Versions/ Radio Edits?

Maybe for one or two songs do I appreciate these more than the actual songs tongue.gif

Demo Versions, something cool about hearing the first draft of things.. Especially if I'm a big fan of the band and like them more for just their music, it's a magical piece of history, I guess..

I am not a big fan of single version or radio edits... there are some that are good, and do not butcher the full version of the song (like the single version of Porcupine Tree's "Time Flies"), but most of them tend to do just that... like the radio edit of "Your Move" I mentioned in the OP...

Radio Edits tend to mutilate a song just to get it onto the radio.

My favorite type of additional material is the one where the word is spelled "bonus" instead of "bounus" or "bouns" wink.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Mar 27 2011, 09:33 PM)
My favorite type of additional material is the one where the word is spelled "bonus" instead of "bounus" or "bouns" wink.gif

I have no idea what you're talking about................... trink38.gif

QUOTE (The Owl @ Mar 27 2011, 06:32 PM)
I am not a big fan of single version or radio edits... there are some that are good, and do not butcher the full version of the song (like the single version of Porcupine Tree's "Time Flies"), but most of them tend to do just that... like the radio edit of "Your Move" I mentioned in the OP...

Radio Edits tend to mutilate a song just to get it onto the radio.

Indeed. I was disappointed to see JR's keyboard solo cut from the Rite of Passage music video.. But for DCFC's song "I will Possess Your Heart" there's a few minutes of filler that the radio edit rightfully cuts out.

Very few things annoy me more than tacking a bunch of extra tracks on an album. Put them on their own disc or leave the original album as is.

The one exception to this that comes to mind is the 1995 edition of The Who Sell Out, where the bonus material legitimately functions as a second half of the album and is on the same level of quality.

Great thread Owl because a TIT like me buys all of the Special Editions!

Love the live shit and the bonus tracks. Demos are cool too but not on the top of my list.

When will Rush release that elusive box set with all kinds of live shit and demos?

We all know there are no "B-Sides" in the Vault.

I just want the Japan SHM pressing of the new RUSH BOX SET!!

1287.gif

"ROLL THE BONES" BITCHES!

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Mar 28 2011, 02:48 PM)
Great thread Owl because a TIT like me buys all of the Special Editions!

Love the live shit and the bonus tracks.  Demos are cool too but not on the top of my list.

When will Rush release that elusive box set with all kinds of live shit and demos?

We all know there are no "B-Sides" in the Vault.

I just want the Japan SHM pressing of the new RUSH BOX SET!!

1287.gif

"ROLL THE BONES" BITCHES!

All these years out here and all the record stores I've been to (massive chains and local shops) and I've never seen anything drastically different in terms of Rush releases. The only difference I've noticed is that there's an extra sheet slipped in there with the Japanese translation of the lyrics. I don't even know if the audio quality is different since I've only heard Rush cds from out here since VT was released.

Oh, I did buy a dvd of Exit...Stage Left from Tower Records back in '02 or '03 (i.e. before it became a dvd stateside) and a few TRFers were telling me that I bought something that wasn't official or some pirated thang. I don't know about that since it was EXACTLY the same [sound quality and whatnot] as what's available now (aside from subtitles) and seemed to have all the right 'labels' on the jacket.

I'll have to keep an eye out for this Rush box set that you're talking about trink38.gif

Extra tracks and B-sides, I guess. I'm not a big fan of bonus stuff though because it screws up the flow of the album, especially if you put a few CDs in and want to just let them play through.

BOC has some cool stuff on their reissues. 10cc had some great B-sides that they put on their reissues too. Megadeth's remasters had the type of stuff I hate though.....shittier versions of songs already on the album.

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Mar 28 2011, 12:48 PM)
I voted Live..

But I was thinking of the "Deluxe Edition" versions of albums.. (Who's Next is a good example) where the 2nd disc is a live show from the same period.

The Deluxe Edition of Camel's "Snow Goose" has the whole album live as well.

I LOVE bonus material, I just wish some bands would also make it available APART from re-releasing the entire CD it is linked with, or the era that it occurred.

The box set thing was cool while it lasted, but when some bands decided that they could just re-release the album, add 5 tracks and charge twice of what the regular version is selling for, I got turned off by it!

King Crimson and Dream Theater have a great thing going where they create releases with JUST the bonus material and don't force you to buy something you already have for the 5th time!

I'd love to find out that Rush has some odd mixes and demos sitting around waiting for release, sure they've been pretty forthright saying that no "throw away" tunes exist, but you know that there has to be hours of soundcheck jams, demos, and oddities sitting in someones closet in a dusty box...not to mention live stuff!

I prefer extra tracks that were recorded during an album but didnt make it, kind of like a time capsule of music. Something I wish Rush had but oh well.

Live tracks are ok, buy with the availability of bootleg shows these days live tracks are ho-hum. When they add live tracks from a previous live album, that really ticks me off.

Alternate and remixes are the dumbest thing ever. They are ok for one listen but not much after that. Same with interviews.

Demos are cool if the production is tolerable, to me they are in the same catagory as live. I do like it when they do a demo very different than the original, such as "Fool On The Hill" by the Beatles where Paul uses an acoustic guitar instead of a piano. I am cool with those kind of demos.

Archived