I feel like we are a secret unity

reani14

QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Mar 30 2011, 04:05 PM)
It sure is strange though. Rush seems to have hit a recent streak of popularity, yet I'm still the weirdo that likes Rush. Everyone always laughs and says something to the effect of "Rush sucks!" Now I'm still in high school, so it's not like I'm getting this from adults, but it's still pretty annoying.

Although I do like the feeling of it being my little secret... I think every Rush fan does, at least a little. wink.gif

I can honestly say that no one I know has ever said a single bad thing about Rush. Well, except for this one gal I knew said Geddy's early screeching vocals bothered her but that was it. xD

I can't believe someone would say that Rush sucks though. That's kind of like saying that Mozart sucked. (Okay, bit of a stretch, but..) Honestly, how can you show someone the ESL video of Xanadu and they not be somewhat wowed?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Mar 30 2011, 04:05 PM)
I'm still the weirdo that likes Rush. Everyone always laughs and says something to the effect of "Rush sucks!" Now I'm still in high school, so it's not like I'm getting this from adults, but it's still pretty annoying.

Although I do like the feeling of it being my little secret... I think every Rush fan does, at least a little.  wink.gif

I'm only a little bit of a "weirdo" for liking Rush. I'm lucky in that I grew up in a generation full of Rush fans. Back in the early and mid-80s, it wasn't so uncommon to wear a Rush shirt to school.

There's still SOME nay-sayers among people my age, but many many fans, too.

I'm known as the kid that like Rush around school, haha. Teachers see me wearing my S&A or Time Machine tour shirts and they just ask "do you even know who that is?" Once an administrator asked me that and I owned him with Rush trivia. Good times....

But still, if the topic comes up, usually from a conversation about music that end up with me mentionin Rush, people laugh and say something like "That drummer is awesome, but that dude can't sing and the lyrics suck anyways". I guess the lyrics are to smart for them?

It feels to me like if you don't like them, at least you can respect them, but my peers seem to think that if they don't like it, then it just sucks, and because Rush isn't screaming, or playing repetitive beats, or singing about a dance floor (or for the screamo fans, some kind of bloody masacre)... Rush sucks.

Somehow it all just fuels me to go home and listen to Rush all the way there, then come here and talk with people who can at least appreciate art.

TRF, I love you heart.gif

QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Mar 31 2011, 09:53 AM)
I'm known as the kid that like Rush around school, haha. Teachers see me wearing my S&A or Time Machine tour shirts and they just ask "do you even know who that is?" Once an administrator asked me that and I owned him with Rush trivia. Good times....

But still, if the topic comes up, usually from a conversation about music that end up with me mentionin Rush, people laugh and say something like "That drummer is awesome, but that dude can't sing and the lyrics suck anyways". I guess the lyrics are to smart for them?

It feels to me like if you don't like them, at least you can respect them, but my peers seem to think that if they don't like it, then it just sucks, and because Rush isn't screaming, or playing repetitive beats, or singing about a dance floor (or for the screamo fans, some kind of bloody masacre)... Rush sucks.

Somehow it all just fuels me to go home and listen to Rush all the way there, then come here and talk with people who can at least appreciate art.

TRF, I love you heart.gif

I wub you wub.gif

QUOTE (Karena @ Mar 30 2011, 01:27 PM)
QUOTE (ucsteve667 @ Mar 29 2011, 09:12 PM)
well, in north jersey we sure didnt have any girl fans I knew of. Would have been nice if there was ha

Maybe it depends on one's definintion of the word "fan". Rush was one of many great bands of that time period. I don't think too many people were hung up on one band but I didn't know anyone who disliked Rush. If we define fan as obsessed, then that is something else. I did like them enough to almost get a ticket for disturbing the peace for blasting 2112 out of my car at an ungodly volume. I guess my friend and I got out of it because we were hot enough. wink.gif

It must be a lot more difficult for the itunes generation to find fellow Rush fans their own age. Rush is just so not itunes kind of music and the Boys are their grandpa's age.

growin up in my town back then it was pretty much across the board that most people hated them. So did the radio, the press, etc. Just the way it was. My school was full of dirt bags yellin The Doors, Skynyrd, Zep, Floyd or the Dead all day and night, end of story. Everyone hated Sabbath and Rush..my 2 favorite bands. The fights didnt really start until Iron maiden, Metallica, Slayer, etc But by then we werent takin any shit anymore from the burnouts and the weekends were a lot of fun

QUOTE (Gilbertk @ Mar 31 2011, 09:53 AM)
...But still, if the topic comes up, usually from a conversation about music that end up with me mentionin Rush, people laugh and say something like "That drummer is awesome, but that dude can't sing and the lyrics suck anyways". I guess the lyrics are to smart for them? ...

I just have to put in that it's comments like these that bother me. It's the sometimes-recurring notion of, "Oh, well you have to be of a certain intelligence/mentality/etc. to like or appreciate Rush," which I just don't get. It's music, after all, and up to interpretation. Just because someone thinks the lyrics (the ones they've heard/seen, anyways) suck doesn't mean they don't have bad taste in writing or music, and certainly doesn't tell anything about their intelligence.

Are the lyrics really a matter of "intelligence" or just opinion and whether or not one is willing to sit down and analyze them..? To be honest I find it funny that some people complain about how the people they know or knew don't like Rush, but then they go off and whine about "music these days".

Everyone's entitled to his or her own opinion, yeah, but is the bashing really necessary?

I think the bashing is just a quick , cheap way for some people to draw a line across what they like or don't like.

I got into Rush in the early '80's. To me, they were part of this pantheon of GREAT rock/metal/prog that was happening from about '75-'85... fun times. as the '80's wore on, I continually got into heavier and heavier stuff, then Seattle era stuff ( hey, I'm from the area.) Synth-Rush as well as other stuff got sidelined. In the early '90's, I had a roomate who was a major Rush fan, had everything on CD. Had AFTK, which I continually played. Roll The Bones came out and was a totally worthy album. Been back since.

Yeah, they're a weird band to classify. There's some people into them now, for the time being. That's OK. They might leave, we'll still be here. They're a band that sounds better to me the older I get (is that a compliment or maybe not?)

I remember about 20 years ago Sabbath being kind of a cult band...

QUOTE (ozzy85 @ Mar 31 2011, 06:01 PM)
I think the bashing is just a quick , cheap way for some people to draw a line across what they like or don't like.

I got into Rush in the early '80's. To me, they were part of this pantheon of GREAT rock/metal/prog that was happening from about '75-'85... fun times. as the '80's wore on, I continually got into heavier and heavier stuff, then Seattle era stuff ( hey, I'm from the area.) Synth-Rush as well as other stuff got sidelined. In the early '90's, I had a roomate who was a major Rush fan, had everything on CD. Had AFTK, which I continually played. Roll The Bones came out and was a totally worthy album. Been back since.

I had a similar experience and agree about the great bands during that time period. There were also decent freeform radio stations playing new music all the time. I sort of strayed away from Rush later on and got into indie and Seattle stuff too but I didn't re-find Rush until S&A.

I still never had anyone tell me they hate them but I guess there's always time. unsure.gif

Yeah, not many young people like Rush. :c I'm 13 and I know a 12 year old, a 14 year old, and a 16 year old that like Rush and that's not many... When people ask me what my favourite band is I always say "Rush" and if they're my age they almost always respond with "BIG TIME RUSH??? biggrin.gif" which is this horrible disney channel boy band thingy or something, I don't know, but I bet one of the screws on Neil's drum kit has got more talent than them... the other reaction I usually get is "Oh, never heard of them."

QUOTE (different.hearts @ Apr 1 2011, 09:32 PM)
I don't know, but I bet one of the screws on Neil's drum kit has got more talent than them...

That's great!

spit6ph.gif

rofl3.gif

Archived