I'm so damn tired of everything I do

Good,bad,andrush

Today I come home to angry stepfather because I didn't do my yard work.

I had gone to pick up my brother at mcdonald's because supposedly some fight was going down or something like that. I had no time to do the garden stuff, and my mom wanted me to go watch a play with her.

Upon coming home, my stepfather screams at me, because he is so damn upset with me never doing anything. I was dying to watch a rush video on the tv, and I rarely ever use that tv; in fact, I hadn't used it since Thanksgiving. But I didn't deserve to use it because I am completely unproductive, useless, and I never help with anything.

Well that's bullshit.

I am a 17 year-old student taking college classes, and I got an A on my first one and currently have an A in the one I am taking right now. I took and passed an AP exam last year without taking the class. I take all AP/Pre-AP courses, and I have a 100.23 average, and I honestly don't cheat. I know 7 people in the top ten who have asked me for answers. Due to how busy I am with life, I don't have absolutely perfect scores in school, but I try.

I competed in football and made the good team when I am 6 inches shorter than the guys next to me. I competed in cross country and normally placed pretty high. I used ti be in band in middle

school, and I made first chair-region my very first year. I compete in eight different academic competitions and place in all of them. On top of that, I am in a magnet program for only 100 kids. Nearly 1200 took the test.

I have a third-degree black belt in taekwondo, four stripes in BJJ, and went to junior nationals as a kid for taekwondo. I take very good care of my body. I exercise often, I don't drink or smoke or do drugs like 80% of my friends. (though I will admit I had a rough period in my life and I resorted to drugs for a tiny bit, and that was the stupidest thing I've ever done)

I may not do a bunch of household chores, but I am always running errands, paying for the gas and feeding my brothers when my mom doesn't want to cook, and I do help around the house pretty often for being busy. I don't get paid for helping around the house. I have a friend who got 50 dollars for bringing home a passing grade. Four passing grades, 200 bucks, and she's so damn spoiled. Some friends get 100 bucks a week for eating, sleeping, and texting. I don't get any of that.

I know it seems like I'm bragging about myself. But really, I try to live as honestly as possible, because I find I get to enjoy the better things in life that way. But when will my stepdad and mom stop screaming at me because I couldn't do a simple chore? Why is that important to them? Why can't they see past that, and understand me? Why can't anybody understand me? For you older ones, when did these feeling go away? Because I can't f***ing take it anymore.

Regardless of how great you think you are, there is no justification for not getting the yard work done.

Next time get it done in a timely fashion.

I'm being serious, and I was still picking up my brother, something my mom asked me to do. I can't satisfy everyone, but why can't they see me and be happy with me? Why do they have to get mad at me for such stupid things. And i know, I gave a stupid scenario. But stuff like this happens to me daily. I just wish people would notice what I have to say.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Mar 26 2011, 12:50 AM)

I had gone to pick up my brother at mcdonald's because supposedly some fight was going down or something like that. I had no time to do the garden stuff, and my mom wanted me to go watch a play with her.

Upon coming home, my stepfather screams at me, because he is so damn upset with me never doing anything. I was dying to watch a rush video on the tv, and I rarely ever use that tv; in fact, I hadn't used it since Thanksgiving. But I didn't deserve to use it because I am completely unproductive, useless, and I never help with anything.

Well that's bullshit.

I am a 17 year-old student taking college classes, and I got an A on my first one and currently have an A in the one I am taking right now. I took and passed an AP exam last year without taking the class. I take all AP/Pre-AP courses, and I have a 100.23 average, and I honestly don't cheat. I know 7 people in the top ten who have asked me for answers. Due to how busy I am with life, I don't have absolutely perfect scores in school, but I try.

I competed in football and made the good team when I am 6 inches shorter than the guys next to me. I competed in cross country and normally placed pretty high. I used ti be in band in middle
school, and I made first chair-region my very first year. I compete in eight different academic competitions and place in all of them. On top of that, I am in a magnet program for only 100 kids. Nearly 1200 took the test.

I have a third-degree black belt in taekwondo, four stripes in BJJ, and went to junior nationals as a kid for taekwondo. I take very good care of my body. I exercise often, I don't drink or smoke or do drugs like 80% of my friends. (though I will admit I had a rough period in my life and I resorted to drugs for a tiny bit, and that was the stupidest thing I've ever done)

I may not do a bunch of household chores, but I am always running errands, paying for the gas and feeding my brothers when my mom doesn't want to cook, and I do help around the house pretty often for being busy. I don't get paid for helping around the house. I have a friend who got 50 dollars for bringing home a passing grade. Four passing grades, 200 bucks, and she's so damn spoiled. Some friends get 100 bucks a week for eating, sleeping, and texting. I don't get any of that.

I know it seems like I'm bragging about myself. But really, I try to live as honestly as possible, because I find I get to enjoy the better things in life that way. But when will my stepdad and mom stop screaming at me because I couldn't do a simple chore? Why is that important to them? Why can't they see past that, and understand me? Why can't anybody understand me? For you older ones, when did these feeling go away? Because I can't f***ing take it anymore.

I don't really know what to tell you but that's all part of growing up. And, as far as your step-father goes, I guess you can call it part of being adult. Everyone makes mistakes and everyone is treated unfairly at times and most people treat other people unfairly at times. I don't know what the situation with your step-father is so I couldn't really say much about that.

The thing is that most of the things that you say that you do are things that

maybe your step-father sees as things that you are doing for yourself. It's true that you are helping out by doing things for your brother but those things are things that he might not physically see but he will take notice of things like a big mess somewhere that is not cleaned up. I've been on both sides of this story and it's not pleasant for either side. It's never fun being yelled at or put down but it is also not much fun thinking that you are going have to clean up all of the messes all of the time.

You're a good guy! I can tell that just from what I know of you from this forum. I also know that you are super intelligent and are a very talented writer, especially at such a young age. I think that you are going to go very

far in life.

Maybe you can try to work things out with your step-father. Go up to him and tell him that you're sorry that you did not clean the yard and explain to him that you had something else to do for your brother. Also, tell him that you will try harder to do more around the house but sometimes you find it hard because of all the other things that you have going on in life. If he is a good guy then he would probably respect that you did that and might be a little more understanding. If you show him that you are trying just a little bit harder to help around the house then I think he might appreciate it.

Like I said before, I don't really know the whole situation but I hope some of this might help.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Mar 26 2011, 12:50 AM)

Blah blah blah....I'm with Pedro!!!

Quich'er GD braggin' and gitch'er sorry, lazy, goodfernuthin' ass outside AND PULL THOSE F'IN WEEDS YOU MISERABLE FREE LOADIN' PUNK!!!!! YOU THINK THEY'RE PULL THEMSELVES???!!!!

WHEN THE HELL ARE YOU GONNE TURN 18 SO YOU CAN MOVE YOUR USELESS ASS OUT'TA HERE????!!!!

You make me wanna puke. 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

waffen093.gif You!!!!

Imho, here's the truth: You want to know when good deeds & accomplishments are not overlooked by those in power? Pretty much never. If anything, your hide will become as thick as a rhino's and people bitching at you will become as commonplace as the setting sun. When we're underage, our parents and sometimes our teachers ride and rip us. When we become adults, it's our bosses and taxes [and from what my married buddies tell me, spouses]. Life doesn't get easier. It merely changes. Same monsters, just with different faces.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Mar 26 2011, 08:02 AM)
Imho, here's the truth: You want to know when good deeds & accomplishments are not overlooked by those in power? Pretty much never. If anything, your hide will become as thick as a rhino's and people bitching at you will become as commonplace as the setting sun. When we're underage, our parents and sometimes our teachers ride and rip us. When we become adults, it's our bosses and taxes [and from what my married buddies tell me, spouses]. Life doesn't get easier. It merely changes. Same monsters, just with different faces.

An old Ricky Nelson song just came to mind...the chorus?

It's all right now

Learned my lesson well

You can't please everyone so

You got to please yourself

Be proud of what you do and know you're doing responsible things for you and your family. Leaves are always gonna grow green up and fall, and grass will always grow and need mowing...and hopefully you remain true to yourself dude.

QUOTE (BeOhBe Bob @ Mar 26 2011, 09:35 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Mar 26 2011, 08:02 AM)
Imho, here's the truth: You want to know when good deeds & accomplishments are not overlooked  by those in power? Pretty much never. If anything, your hide will become as thick as a rhino's and people bitching at you will become as commonplace as the setting sun. When we're underage, our parents and sometimes our teachers ride and rip us. When we become adults, it's our bosses and taxes [and from what my married buddies tell me, spouses]. Life doesn't get easier. It merely changes. Same monsters, just with different faces.

An old Ricky Nelson song just came to mind...the chorus?

It's all right now

Learned my lesson well

You can't please everyone so

You got to please yourself

Be proud of what you do and know you're doing responsible things for you and your family. Leaves are always gonna grow green up and fall, and grass will always grow and need mowing...and hopefully you remain true to yourself dude.

Similarities to any Ricky Nelson song are purely coincidental trink38.gif

Well to clarify I gave a really bad example and now it seems like you guys think i don't do yard work. It's not that, that was just yesterday. I do the yard work all the time.

I just don't like how when i make a mistake they think I'm worthless. I will keep trying, because bob is right. I want to please myself more than anything.

But I would just like for people to take note of me, especially my parents. But like Johnny says, sometimes they will probably never take note. I just needed to vent and it was my fault for going and bragging about myself, and now some of you guys probably think I'm spoiled. I honestly am not.

And it's not just about me. I'm sad really because the world doesn't notice the people like me, and i'm sure a lot of you can relate. Look at rush for example. How long did it take them to get noticed? For a long time, their virtuous playing, creative melodies, and intelligent lyrics went unnoticed.

I'm really sorry if I came off as spoiled, I think I already knew no one would ever notice and I was hoping, like a fool, someone would say otherwise. But I will keep on trying. Again i'm sorry for any misunderstanding.

QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Mar 26 2011, 09:49 PM)
Well to clarify I gave a really bad example and now it seems like you guys think i don't do yard work. It's not that, that was just yesterday. I do the yard work all the time.

I just don't like how when i make a mistake they think I'm worthless. I will keep trying, because bob is right. I want to please myself more than anything.

But I would just like for people to take note of me, especially my parents. But like Johnny says, sometimes they will probably never take note. I just needed to vent and it was my fault for going and bragging about myself, and now some of you guys probably think I'm spoiled. I honestly am not.

And it's not just about me. I'm sad really because the world doesn't notice the people like me, and i'm sure a lot of you can relate. Look at rush for example. How long did it take them to get noticed? For a long time, their virtuous playing, creative melodies, and intelligent lyrics went unnoticed.

I'm really sorry if I came off as spoiled, I think I already knew no one would ever notice and I was hoping, like a fool, someone would say otherwise. But I will keep on trying. Again i'm sorry for any misunderstanding.

It isn't about yardwork. And I'm pretty sure nobody has any hard feelings about anything you wrote. And I'm even more sure that there weren't any misunderstandings. We've all been there (and in many ways, we're all STILL there!) laugh.gif

Sometimes trying to get through life can be as ridiculous as this guy looks:

http://www.universohq.com/quadrinhos/2006/imagens/xadrez_rhino.jpg

Yeah, you guessed it, his name is The Rhino. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Mar 26 2011, 06:49 AM)

It doesn't sound as if you are spoiled to me, it sounds as if you are overwhelmed. Can you make a list of all of the stuff you did this week and when you did it, for each day? Maybe your parents don't realize how busy you are with work, activities and sports, and chores...and if you write it down, they could help you figure out some time to breathe and relax.

Life is hectic at your age, and some young people have way too much on their plates.

I tell my kids ,work before play. I see you do alot of "me" stuff,maybe the "me" stuff is getting in the way of what you need to do?? Its cool you are doing those things but remember, work does come first. And yes things you do though are very important to you may not mean anything to others. Life owes you nothing.I would have said the same to my kids if what was to be done wasnt, I wopuld listen to the "why" and then have you do the job. Did you not do it when you got home?? Did it get put back because of the "me" stuff?? That might have pissed him off. Think this way, he sees you doing all those things,and the stuff at home not getting done well what do you think he feels? He might be a prick. I dont know. Not saying you are lazy, but has this happened before? Is a pattern forming? Talking to them both is a greast idea maybe you all can work oput things. It gets better esp when you are on your own, and I mean on your own not still at home. Good luck.

QUOTE (ridertoo98 @ Mar 26 2011, 08:44 AM)
I tell my kids ,work before play. I see you do alot of "me" stuff,maybe the "me" stuff is getting in the way of what you need to do?? Its cool you are doing those things but remember, work does come first. And yes things you do though are very important to you may not mean anything to others. Life owes you nothing.I would have said the same to my kids if what was to be done wasnt, I wopuld listen to the "why" and then have you do the job. Did you not do it when you got home?? Did it get put back because of the "me" stuff?? That might have pissed him off. Think this way, he sees you doing all those things,and the stuff at home not getting done well what do you think he feels? He might be a prick. I dont know. Not saying you are lazy, but has this happened before? Is a pattern forming? Talking to them both is a greast idea maybe you all can work oput things. It gets better esp when you are on your own, and I mean on your own not still at home. Good luck.

I still did it this morning. I always do my chores, I always get my stuff done. What i don't like is that I make a mistake and my stepdad begins cussing at me and (sometimes worse) and then my mom just agrees with him and says i NEVER do anything. And plus, it is a lot of "me stuff" but I help around the house a lot and with family members.

I wont take a side I am not there to see both but he should act like that . I see mom has you back . Sounds real fun there. Just deal with it till you can be on your own and move on. I ask very little from my kids but when it isnt dont there is a problem. I dont want to hear I forgot either.

They never forget to play or what they want.... just saying. You are just seeing the world for what it realy is good alot but full of pain if you let it.

Nothing is fair or given. Make your own way and you will be happy.You make you happy, dont look for praise, be happy with yourself when you do good. Others will see when you shine and say so. Sometimes they wont. It sucks when Mom and dad dont it happends. I am pretty sure this wont kill you but it will eat you up if YOU let it.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Mar 26 2011, 08:49 AM)

it's hard but don;t let other people make you feel worthless. My kids are well behaved and get good grades but I still have to discipline them and I am sure I make mistakes sometimes. I'll never think they are worthless.

Dude...when you are expected to do something, you do need to do it. So you're about to go out and do some yardwork...and your mother asks you to pick your brother up from McSuicide's. If she ABSOLUTELY can't do it, do it, because its important and doesn't take long (unless its like 2 hours away or something). Not a big deal. But as for watching a play with her? You just gotta analyze your priororities and say "I'll have to catch it next time, I have yardwork to do" and make it clear that you have something that needs to get done that's more important than watching a play.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Mar 26 2011, 01:50 AM)

I know it seems like I'm bragging about myself.

You are. All your accomplishments are awesome. You will do well in life, but you have to understand that sometimes you can't always pick and choose what you think is important. Its all important.

Take accountability. Don't use excuses to justify the fact you were wrong. atickhum.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Mar 26 2011, 07:02 AM)

+ 1

Sums it up perfectly.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Mar 26 2011, 07:41 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Mar 26 2011, 07:02 AM)
Imho, here's the truth: You want to know when good deeds & accomplishments are not overlooked  by those in power? Pretty much never. If anything, your hide will become as thick as a rhino's and people bitching at you will become as commonplace as the setting sun. When we're underage, our parents and sometimes our teachers ride and rip us. When we become adults, it's our bosses and taxes [and from what my married buddies tell me, spouses]. Life doesn't get easier. It merely changes. Same monsters, just with different faces.

+ 1

Sums it up perfectly.

True that.

Get over yourself. And remind yourself... people have it a lot worse. It will make your problems seem inconsequential.

This poor kid has taken enough of a beating in this thread. Cut him a break.

Having said that....

You did slack a little gbr, but you have a lot going on. And, I remember (slightly) what it was like being your age. Trying to set the pace for your future with all that school stuff and extra cirricular activity. It's easy to let your responsibilities slide and justify it with everything you have going on. I'm sure your stepdad has or will calm down. But, find the time to do the things that you're asked to do, because contributing to the family by doing your chores shows that you put your family first before the other things. That's very important. And, I agree with another poster that you are allowed to tell your mom that it was a bad time to go to a play. That you had yard work to do. She would understand that, wouldn't she? And, having to drive siblings to and fro? Well.... I was the younger sister. I had my sister running me all over the place. She still bitches about it! I guess that's part of the compromise.

Hang in there, and try to keep in mind that everything you're doing will eventually bring you the attention and praise you need. You sound like a motivated young man who wants to do the best he can. That will get you everywhere in life. And, one day... all of this will seem very trivial.

Tell your lazy dad/stepdad to do it himself ... I have/will never!!! expect my kids to do my work. Helping and learning is good, telling others what to do is BS ... if he asked, that is another story. If you are willing to help or do the work together ... great!

Archived