You ever been lost?

Tom Sawyer

Several weeks back, my son and I were in the mountains and we got lost. We had a gps, but it was too vague to be of any really help, I mean, gps works great whe there are roads and turns are identified and directional landmarks etc.

But in the mountains. It's not about how to get you there. It's a bout how to GET YOU BACK where you began your journey out.

Anyway, he was really panics, I was too, but I had the benefit of experience that assured me we would eventually find our way out/back. But I was more time efficient thinking and he being only 11 years old was genuinely concerned about our future. Even concidering we had taken measures to have survival equipment to last us a couple days if need be.

Now I have been challenged with convincing him to go back out there, only to be countered with his concerns that we will get lost again but with possiblely less fortunate out come next time. (sigh)

So I have ordered one of these http://www.bushnell.com/products/gps/backtrack/

For our next ... outdoor adventure.

p.s. I still remember being horrified as a toddler loosing my mom in the grocery store. I was maybe 4 or 5 and thought I was a goner! Oh the fear, the sheer terror of certain abondonment!

Do you have a story about getting lost?

Losing your mom in a grocery store must be one of the most traumatic things for a child cause it stays with you long into adulthood. I remember losing my mom in a store at about age 4, it was pure terror..it was probably only a minute or two that I couldn't find her but I remember it seemed like forever. Funny how some things stay with you while others fade away.

I remember getting lost on a hike sometime during my high school years, but the events of that are gone from my memory, I only remember we got lost and came out of the woods way off from where we thought we were. Not nearly as traumatic as losing mom in the store.

QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Mar 27 2011, 07:24 PM)
No but I saw every episode and loved it....except that last season...whut'ta piece of crap.

This!

My story is similar to everyone else's...my boyfriend and I were hiking, got a bit lost, and were hoping we'd guessed the right way back, because the sun was going down and it would be trickier (and cold) in the dark. We had to take off our shoes, wade through a stream, and get kinda wet in the interest of saving time, but we found our way back before dark, so it turned out all right.

Have been lost driving before, but not so bad I couldn't find my way eventually, it just took longer than I would have liked.

I got lost or a least seriously side-tracked in the Shasta-Trinity Wilderness Area in Northern California.

A buddy and I were deer/bear hunting and were hiking to a remote camp with 65 lb. back-packs for a 4 day hunt. We were behind schedule to meet up with others at the camp and were chasing daylight so we started to pick up our pace.

It was supposed to be a 7 mile hike to the camp......we made a wrong turn....

We had a hand-made trail map and somehow made a wrong trail selection about 4 miles into the trek. We realized we made the wrong turn after hiking about 9 miles into a unmapped zone, yet we could make an educated assumption of where we were after climbing up a ridge to get our bearing.

We figured it would take about a 5 mile forward loop to get back on the right trail and decided not to back-track the 4-5 miles to try and find the correct turn.....We figured wrong....

We hiked for another 6-7 miles up an extreme switchback, with day light fading we were silently starting to get a little concerned about our actual location.

We ran out of day light and energy and had to sleep on a 4 foot switchback trail, in bear country, with fresh signs of bear all around. We had no room

to set up our tent and we could hear a slight trickle of water near-by (which means the bears could hear it too). It was a sleepless night holding my rifle and side arm and hearing all sorts of freaky noises.

In the morning we actually hunted our way around the much longer than expected loop and had a great time, except that our 7 mile half day hike turned into a 19 mile 24 hour experience.

Our friends, who were on horseback, went looking for us but missed us at a fork by about an hour and at a view point by about 2 miles.( this was before cell phones).

We all hooked up later at the camp and told our potentially dangerous story.

The next day my friend got a nice buck and we got the intense privilege of seeing a mother with cubs across a ridge line.

We sat around the fire that night eating garlic and butter heart and back-strap and washed it down with several Becks Dark.

I wrote a detailed 'book' about our experience for a college class and got an A+

There was never any panic, because of our well stocked pack-backs and very adequate weapons but there was an uncomfortable concern of where we actually where and how long it would take to get to the camp or back to the cars.

QUOTE (Tom Sawyer @ Mar 25 2011, 11:33 AM)
Several weeks back, my son and I were in the mountains and we got lost. We had a gps, but it was too vague to be of any really help, I mean, gps works great whe there are roads and turns are identified and directional landmarks etc.

But in the mountains. It's not about how to get you there. It's a bout how to GET YOU BACK where you began your journey out.

Anyway, he was really panics, I was too, but I had the benefit of experience that assured me we would eventually find our way out/back. But I was more time efficient thinking and he being only 11 years old was genuinely concerned about our future. Even concidering we had taken measures to have survival equipment to last us a couple days if need be.

Now I have been challenged with convincing him to go back out there, only to be countered with his concerns that we will get lost again but with possiblely less fortunate out come next time. (sigh)

p.s. I still remember being horrified as a toddler loosing my mom in the grocery store. I was maybe 4 or 5 and thought I was a goner! Oh the fear, the sheer terror of certain abondonment!

While the Bushnell Backtrack is nice (my Father-in-law has one) I strongly recommend you get a map and a compass and know how to use them. They don't require batteries.

It was a sleepless night holding my rifle and side arm and hearing all sorts of freaky noises.

ohmy.gif Oh man! I bet you did!

Bet you slept good that next night, tho! laugh.gif

Great story, WAW!

When I was 6 and my brother was 4 we moved into a new house that was next to a big forest. Our great-grandmother lived with us who was too feeble to care for herself. Years before she lived on a log cabin in the hills of Kentucky (smokehouse, NO outhouse!) and actually raised my father and his brother because his mother died from tuberculosis and his father has to work in the coal mines....she used to go into the woods berry hunting and would make pies from the fall berries she would pick her whole life---so here we were next to a forest she had never explored and she took us with her and her bucket, for a walk into the forest around 10 am one day. We got completely lost and turned around, and the day kept getting on...late in the afternoon we were tired, hungry, and Granny was worried. It was the fall of the year and the days were getting darker quickly and finally it was dusk and we were in big, big trouble. It was 11 pm before the search and rescue team found us. We made the evening news unfortunately! Parents from the school we went to and all the neighbors in our neighborhood were all out there calling for us. The funny thing was, and I remember this clearly, the team was calling for "Phil and Mike"...Granny was deaf and could hear nothing, and my brother Erik and I were saying to each other that "well they must be looking for someone else because they are calling for a Phil and Mike!!!!" Finally I said to Granny that "There are people calling for Phil and Mike should I say something???" and she started screaming YES, YES!!!!!

We were rescued and I remember it all still vividly...hard to believe it was 40 years ago!

I got on the wrong city bus one time and ended up in the worst, most horrible part of town you want to be lost in. And it was in the evening. I was standing for what seemed like a really long time hoping I was at the right bus stop to take me back downtown. No one gave me a hard time though. People driving by would slow down and say things like, "You look a little lost Snow White!" I was so happy to see the bus coming.

When I was nine I was with my family on a vacation in Europe. I almost got separated from them in this HUUUGE department store in Paris! And you know it's like crazy busy there. I panicked so I started going up and down the escalator, running floor to floor trying to find someone instead of using my head and staying in one spot.

They eventually spotted me and called me over, but it was scary! Being in a foreign country in a huge store in an even bigger city with a bunch of people speaking ten different languages -- yeah, it was a little disorienting. Don't think I let go of my aunt's hand after that incident.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 6 2011, 02:02 AM)
I can get lost anywhere, even in my home town, my sense of direction is poor...

laugh.gif

I have that trouble too. I wish my brain had a built-in Sat-Nav! tongue.gif

QUOTE (Tom Sawyer @ Mar 25 2011, 10:33 AM)

Did you not think to enter waypoints into your GPS?

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Apr 5 2011, 10:45 PM)
When I was nine I was with my family on a vacation in Europe. I almost got separated from them in this HUUUGE department store in Paris! And you know it's like crazy busy there. I panicked so I started going up and down the escalator, running floor to floor trying to find someone instead of using my head and staying in one spot.
They eventually spotted me and called me over, but it was scary! Being in a foreign country in a huge store in an even bigger city with a bunch of people speaking ten different languages -- yeah, it was a little disorienting. Don't think I let go of my aunt's hand after that incident.

I did have a similar situation happen when I was little and my brother was visiting a college - he and my parents got on a crowded elevator and I was left outside when the door shut. My mother could hear me screaming, and she was pretty angry that the last few people getting on didn't check to see if everyone had gotten on.

When my family went back to where I'd been left, I was gone - one of the students (stupidly) took me all over trying to find them, but we finally met up in the parking garage. Good thing the wrong person didn't find me...*shudder*

I have an irrational fear of elevator and other doors that shut like that now, especially since I've had a few malfunction and nearly close on me since. It's better exercise taking the stairs, I'll go that way bolt.gif

Archived