Cutting soda out of my life.

doublereeder

So, I'm a huge soda drinker. Every day I have at least one to two cans, and when I go out to eat, I'm downing rounds like nobody's business; every weekend maybe three liters.

I'm fed up with my weight, I've been going up and down for a solid year now, and I'm through.

I've heard cutting soda out of your diet cuts major pounds, and I'm willing to stop major sugar consumption as well.

I've around five foot seven, and I was 146 pounds, now I'm between 146 and 157. It's not over weight, it's actually quite average, but my goal right now is 140. I want to lose weight to feel better, and to keep an average jean size. I'm struggling between 11 and 13 in juniors, and I can never get a perfect fit. It sucks!

Any tips from the fellow ladies? Have you done this yet, and has it worked out for you?

Edited by doublereeder

A couple years back I actually gave up pop for Lent, but I can't really say it did much for my jeans size. (I was pretty thin back then, though..) But if anything, cutting back soda and drinking water in place (for example) is going to do wonders for your health. yes.gif Good luck! I'm rooting for you! (:

Thanks so much!

I do drink a lot of water already, but for every can of soda, you need at least double the amount in water to keep your body in balance. (Or so I've heard.)

Cutting a lot of the sugar I have in my diet will definitely help, too!

No more cookies for breakfast.

Well, luckily for you, spring and summer are coming, so if you're craving sweets, find a fruit you like. I used to have this really bad habit of snacking while watching TV, so then I just decided to put a whole bunch of vegetables or fruit to snack on instead of whatever junk was in the cabinet. So I was still satisfying that craving, but I wasn't filling up on junk food.

But don't forget exercise. Diet (unfortunately) is only half the battle. laugh.gif

I drink 3 two liter bottles of Diet Mountain Dew per day. That and coffee. Of course it helps that I work out pretty religiously and the rest of my eating habits are pretty good.

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Mar 23 2011, 08:01 PM)
Well, luckily for you, spring and summer are coming, so if you're craving sweets, find a fruit you like. I used to have this really bad habit of snacking while watching TV, so then I just decided to put a whole bunch of vegetables or fruit to snack on instead of whatever junk was in the cabinet. So I was still satisfying that craving, but I wasn't filling up on junk food.

But don't forget exercise. Diet (unfortunately) is only half the battle. laugh.gif

I'm in sports year round, thank God!

A group of my friends also hit the school gym on Fridays. smile.gif

I also love fruit! We don't have it much around winter, so that could explain a lot.

QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 23 2011, 08:05 PM)
I drink 3 two liter bottles of Diet Mountain Dew per day. That and coffee. Of course it helps that I work out pretty religiously and the rest of my eating habits are pretty good.

Yeah, Mara, my track record (pun fully intended) is non-comparable compared to yours. laugh.gif You're a beast, woman. I run on the hamster wheel for five minutes solid and I feel exhausted.

I switched to diet soda and cut down how much I drink it and it's def made a difference. Also a trick with water is to have it with some lemon... it's like having yummy tasting water that's double for your immune system and metabolism.

I hate soda. Always have, always will.

I drink too much fruit juice. Most of the fruit I consume is in liquid form- except for mandarin orange slices, Fig Newtons, blueberries/raspberries in my pancakes, the occassional fruit pie or bread, and the occassional fresh fruit my mom may give me.

I drink too much sweet tea. I have been living in the South for half my life.

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Mar 24 2011, 09:44 PM)
Start drinking yummy juice like odwalla, or switch to diet soda

Odwalla can be pretty high in calories too. Sometimes its best to just cut out all drinks except water diet soda, and coffee and tea, and if you want juice just eat a piece of fruit.

QUOTE (IChoseFreeWill @ Mar 25 2011, 06:05 AM)
Fig Newtons

You know those don't really count as fruit, right? wink.gif

I allow myself only one diet soda per day. The rest of the day I drink water (not counting the occasional beer on bowling nights and wine every so often). To transition, I started drinking Vitamin Water Zero. The only flavor I haven't liked is the lemonade.

A woman I work with drank seltzer water with a bit of lemon squeezed into it. That way, she got the carbonation but not the sugar & chemicals.

I'm far from being any kind of nutritionist...

Though, I do believe that the real target, if you want to get into a proper diet, is to give up snaking around, (even fruits ... it's look healthier of course, but there're still snacks) and to relocate when you must be starving or not, and then control the amount of food you'll swallow (especially when it's junk food wub.gif).

To me eating 2 cookie and drink a diet soda per day at the end of your lunch isn't evil ! ('course, assume to do any kind of sport once a week !! Mamaaa)

trink36.gif It's more about enjoying life without asking "should I eat or should I go"

Isn't it ?

hey I may preachify But guess what !?! I still have 10 pounds to lost. Fortunately they still exist bunches and bunches of tricky tricks to loose weight ... like ... well ... Any other"brilliant" idea ? tongue.gif

Odwalla or Naked are delicious, but the challenge is to actually count calories and feasibly you should only be intaking 1,500 calories a day plus burning calories (if you're trying to lose weight). Sadly, Odwalla and Naked have a lot of calories if you're counting calories (they should actually be a meal). So, you may be working out and burning, but if your calorie intake is high you're not actually losing, instead you may be coming out even or even gaining.

Go zero calories, so Diet or the Coke Zero. And if you like coffee vouch for sugarless or fat free.

I'm not the best example because I am never hungry and I love water, but there you go. My one vice is coffee, but I can substitute coffee for a meal. ph34r.gif

And pop is just not good for you. Limit it to a can or small bottle a day, if even that. It should be a treat.

ETA: we should have an exercise/diet/advice/cheer each other on thread... if there isn't already one. smile.gif

Edited by garbo

Thanks for all the info, guys! smile.gif

Unfortunately after day two ( laugh.gif ) I caved in, but I have cut back since then.

I cannot drink anything diet, I'm allergic the Splenda and artificial sweets;

and it's not very pretty if I accidentally drink or eat something with it.

I will try tea more often, I do love tea, and it's under-appreciated in my diet.

For what it's worth, diet soda is even worse for you than regular soda. It's filled with chemicals that either fool you into thinking you can have more calories/sweet things, leech calcium from your bones, or turn to formaldehyde in your body.

Stick with seltzer if you need the carbonation, or good old H2O smile.gif

I have done this before. I usually buy 0-calorie flavoured water when I want taste. or those packets you can mix in with the water?

....it HAS made a big difference! even when it takes a while for a noticable weight loss, I just feel less sluggish in general.

but i never, EVER wanna be "thin" or "skinny". I'm thick, and I have curves in aaaalllll the right places<3 why lose that for skin and bones?? no, thank you! lol.

good luck!!!

=]

This is an excellent decision. You can cut so many unnecessary calories by eliminating soda from your diet.

Life is about choices and your making a wise one. Good luck and don't give in! trink39.gif

Seltzer. It's like soda, but it's not! tongue.gif

no calories, no sodium, no hfcs, no caffeine - just bubbles and dare I say faint whisper of a mirage of flavor. smile.gif

I've been good and bad. Hard staying away from the Snapple in the summertime...

QUOTE (librarian @ Jul 6 2011, 03:22 PM)
Seltzer. It's like soda, but it's not! tongue.gif

no calories, no sodium, no hfcs, no caffeine - just bubbles and dare I say faint whisper of a mirage of flavor. smile.gif

I made a mistake while cutting out soda and switched to Snapple. I had no idea it was just as bad sad.gif

QUOTE (The_Necromancer_77 @ Jul 25 2011, 01:00 AM)
QUOTE (librarian @ Jul 6 2011, 03:22 PM)
Seltzer. It's like soda, but it's not!  tongue.gif 

I made a mistake while cutting out soda and switched to Snapple. I had no idea it was just as bad sad.gif

Totally off-topic, but OMNOMNOM I love the Fagen appreciation in yer sig/avatar!

To make this on-topic, Snapple is misleading when they say "made from the best stuff on Earth" and then pump their drinks full of HFCS. Not cool angry.gif