The Best Buffalo Wings

The Owl

Where do you get the best buffalo wings.  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you get the best buffalo wings.

• Anchor Bar- Birthplace of the Buffalo Wing
    • Buffalo Wild Wings
    • Pizza Hut "Wingstreet"
    • Wing Stop
    • Wing Zone
    • Hooters
    • Wing Zone
    • Zaxby's
    • Pluckers
    • Local Specialty/Other (Specify)

If there were A food that If I had to choose to be the only food I eat for the rest of my life, it would be buffalo wings.... Unseasoned chicken wing sections deep fried and then tossed into a variety of sauces... Whether it be a spicy vinager based buffalo hot sauce or a tangy teriyaki sauce...

Which of these chains who specialize in buffalo wings is your favorite? Or is there a local specialty in your area that makes this simple dish the best...?

Its not about the wings... anyone can deep fry chicken wing pieces so I admit this is really about who has the best sauces for their wings.......so don't comment about semantics... tongue.gif

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

For me it is a chain that is throughout the Southeastern U.S (Tennessee, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi...etc) and that chain is Zaxby's if you are ever in that region do yourself a favor and try their amazing wings....

I recently moved to Texas and there are a few Zaxby's recently opened here, but sadly none in Austin... hopefully soon..

http://www.tasteofknoxville.com/images/zaxbys.jpg

In at a close second would be a local place where I used to live in Murfreesboro Tennessee called "Toot's" very "vinegarery" but very tasty..

In at third would be Wing Stop's wings (the Ones that Troy Aikman advertises)

I worked at a Buffalo Wild Wings for over a year, they would be in at 4th I guess.

Edited by The Owl

I've had lots of good wings... BWW are pretty pedestrian. Not a big fan, but they are decent. I finished the blazin challenge without much of an effort. Sauce isn't that hot, and giving you 6 minutes, it's hard not to complete it.

My favorite wings are at an area bar (not local, but in the area) called Tally Ho's - it's an Irish bar in Erin, WI. Best wings I've ever had.

I like Cluck U's wings too, had those when in MD. There was a really good place in Baltimore called Bill Bateman's

Oh, and there was this place outside of Clemson called Champs wings that would give you free wings if you bought a pitcher of beer. What a great deal for college kids that was. I think they closed because of us LOL

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Mar 23 2011, 09:46 AM)
I've had lots of good wings... BWW are pretty pedestrian. Not a big fan, but they are decent. I finished the blazin challenge without much of an effort. Sauce isn't that hot, and giving you 6 minutes, it's hard not to complete it.

BWW has my favourite wings ever but I agree I don't think their sauces are that hot... But most of my friends squirm away if I wave even an Asian Zing wing in their face. They can't take the heat! tongue.gif

I have a pretty high spice tolerance; I'm thinking about doing the Blazin' challenge some time.

But yeah, I've never had better wings than BWW. Mainly I just love the wide variety of flavours. I don't think I've ever had anything but wings for a main course there!

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Mar 23 2011, 10:39 AM)
any local place blazes past the others.

Buff Wild Wings? EW. Sorry, way too processed and chain-restauranted for my taste.

yes.gif

I wouldn't go so far as to say "EWW" but down on the list for me. The kids like their wings so we go there a couple times a year.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Mar 23 2011, 08:39 AM)
any local place blazes past the others.

Buff Wild Wings? EW. Sorry, way too processed and chain-restauranted for my taste.

While I agree that some of the local, non-chain stores have great and in some cases better wings than any chain store, I don't understand what you mean by "too processed" for you. Do the local places get their wings from a different distributer that do not "process" the chicken wings...aren't all chicken wings processed the same way. Do your local places use some special non- processed or organic chicken wings????

The pizza hut wing stop chicken wings are by far the hottest I've ever tasted but they are not the best. I was not impressed with the wing stop wings at all.

I'm not going to speak for iluvgeddy, but the fact the sauces are made in a huge plants, bottled and distributed give it the "processed" taste to me - all the preservatives and crap they have to put in there to keep them shelf stable.

Small joints make their sauces everyday... usually from fresh(er) ingredients, without all the extra salt and preservatives.

And wings can be different depending on how you cook them. Not cooking them enough leaves a fatty, mushy taste. Good wings (IMO) should have a nice crunch, and the meat should easily pull away from the bone.

Edited by Lost In Xanadu

I will say this about BWW... I worked at one for about a year and a half... The wings were fresh... (they came in raw and pre-cut...that's all)

But BWW fries their wings (as the rest of their fried food) in Lard, not Vegetable Oil, and that gave them a real good flavor... (try one without sauce sometime)

Still not the best I've ever had. I am always looking out for good wing places, but they are few and far between here in Texas.....

The name escapes me at the moment, but there's a wing place here in Marietta that's awesome. It's like the wings came from chickens on 'roids - they're huge.

However, I HATE buffalo sauce. It has some funky spice in it I just can't stand. I'll order lemon pepper, Asian BBQ. . .anything but buffalo.

I cant speak for all chains but many of them ship their foods already prepared and microwave it at the restaurant, at least from what i have heard. Thats why wings at one branch taste identical to ones at another branch states away.

Also, i like supporting the locals.

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Mar 23 2011, 08:57 PM)
I haven't really been to the big chains. There's a smaller chain here called Quaker Steak and Lube that has a wide variety of wings that are good. I've been to the Anchor Bar once, maybe twice, but they were good.

I need to go to quaker steak still. We should do a trf cny meetup!

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Mar 24 2011, 01:53 PM)
QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Mar 23 2011, 08:57 PM)
I haven't really been to the big chains. There's a smaller chain here called Quaker Steak and Lube that has a wide variety of wings that are good. I've been to the Anchor Bar once, maybe twice, but they were good.

I need to go to quaker steak still. We should do a trf cny meetup!

They are getting bigger - they are here in SouthEast WI now. Stay away from their baked wings. Just a pile of mush!

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Mar 24 2011, 11:51 AM)
I cant speak for all chains but many of them ship their foods already prepared and microwave it at the restaurant, at least from what i have heard. Thats why wings at one branch taste identical to ones at another branch states away.

Also, i like supporting the locals.

Totally agree on supporting locals. Usually much more character in these places as well.

Beef O'Brady's

sweet jalapeno wings are the best I've ever had.

There used to be a Hooters knockoff called Knockers that had the second best.

We also have Melons, Mugs n Jugs, and Cooters down here. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Mar 23 2011, 09:57 PM)

Oh I've seen one of those in Youngstown, Ohio! I was at a hotel and looked out the window like "steak and...lube? what the hell kinda place is that?" laugh.gif

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Mar 24 2011, 08:57 PM)
Oh I've seen one of those in Youngstown, Ohio! I was at a hotel and looked out the window like "steak and...lube? what the hell kinda place is that?" laugh.gif

Hehehe, I guess it's a reference to the oil they fry the wings in! laugh.gif

And Jill, we definitely need a CNY TRF meetup! I don't care where, I'll be there!

OK....Just read about a local place here in town that has.....STUFFED HOT WINGS! ohmy.gif I know right? WTF? Where is there any room to stuff anything in a chicken wing and what would you stuff into a chicken wing?

Anyway, the place is call Steiner's Pub and the reviews are great. There are several here in town and one is located about six mile up the road from me. They are supposed to have a great beer selection. I may head up there tonight to see what the hype is all about. I may have found a new home!

Any of you wing nuts ever had stuffed wings?