Good,bad,andrush

Blazing Angels 1&2

Star Wars Battlefront 1

Star Wars Battlefront 2

Star Wars Knights Of The Old Republic

Star Wars Republic Commando

In no particular order, these are my top five! cool.gif

1. Portal Series

Greatest puzzle games of all time, and one of the greatest villains of all time. The Steam Workshop levels keeps the game feeling like brand new!

2. Batman: Arkham Series

Batman Arkham Asylum & Batman Arkham City are the best superhero games of all time. Great villains, great puzzles, great fighting mechanics, great easter eggs. I nerd all over the floor every time I play them.

3. Team Fortress 2

Hat simulation game

4. Skyrim

Shouting at dragons is fun, on and off screen.

5. Pokemon Red & Blue

Greatest memories of my childhood. The newer games are fun, but can never match up to the originals.

Honorable Mentions: Crash Bandicoot series, Spyro, Twisted Metal Series, Zelda Series, Left for Dead 1 & 2, Super Smash Bros., Mario 64, God of War series.

I play games for the gameplay; I've always secretly had a pretentious hatred for people who enjoy games based on story. PS1 generation of Final Fantasy and each of its redundant successors are the types of games for which I have a severe revulsion.

I mean, not only do they have no interesting gameplay mechanics, but their storylines are... just... really, really bad.

I'm sorry, I HONESTLY couldn't help myself; I always NEED to point out that I don't like it whenever someone lists those horrible games as their favorites. laugh.gif

ANYWAY! Here's some games that I've logged over 1000 hours into, and games that I would be proud to include in a "TOP X LIST OF EPIC GAMES"

I included 7, because these are truly the most important to me - I couldn't just do five, that seemed to arbitrarily exclude some games that deserved to be noted.

#1: Minecraft - I Goddamn love this game. No game has ever captured outdoor wildlife survival nearly as effectively; which is a HUGE shame to the video game industry, because that is a concept that has always been begging to be explored. One man comes up with idea, and does it the RIGHT way; f**k you, corporations. On top of that point, I always have contraptions I want to invent, worlds I want to regulate, adventures I want to design, and Minecraft has always been great about getting out of the way and just letting your mind explode onto an environment. EASILY my #1 favorite game of all time.

#2 NEStalgia - This game still hasn't gone viral after 3 long years of underground popularity, there are only a few thousand players. This game EASILY takes #2 on my favorite game of all time; I have NO reservations for ranking Nestalgia and Minecraft so confidently; fantastic games, truly deserving of the word EPIC, and FAR out-running any of the other titles on this list.

#3 Team Fortress 2 - Best shaping of an arcade FPS. f***ing great work; bonus points because they made it free. Thank you for such a huge restoration of faith for modern video games and the gaming industry, Valve.

#4 SSB/M - I'm not really sure which version I like better, I believe that Classic feels more natural, and Melee seems a bit more sluggish. All the while, melee has tons of greatness that draws me to it in this supernatural way. I guess I have to include them both. I've never enjoyed Brawl, though.

#5 Heroes of Might and Magic II - It was a mixture of huge, infinite possibilities combined with simplicity. You had so many options, but it was limited in a way that you didn't need to exploit every last excrutiating detail to keep up with the computer, unlike other Civilization spinoffs. You couldn't split up parties, you couldn't explore with creatures, you couldn't spawn more "settlements"; all of these sound like bad things, but in reality, this made playing the game a LOT less tedious. Sure, you couldn't do those things, but the computer/other players couldn't either, so you didn't need to worry about non-fun aspects of turn based strategy. And even so, there was still an enormous degree of freedom. I ultimately decided that I hate Civilization; it's far more addicting than it is actual fun. If you want to have actual fun playing something from the Civ genre, HOMM2 did it right.

#6 Warcraft II - the first game to enter my "LIST OF X FAVORITES," way back in 1996 or something like that. I played it LITERALLY CONSTANTLY for well over ten years, and I still revisit it all the time. I love building custom maps, and the Warcraft II map editor was so quick and simple.

#7 Super Bomberman II (Four players!) - Probably for the same reason everyone loves Smash Bros, it's a simply blow-em-up party game with a unique gameplay design. And it's top-down: there are so few top-down party games, but I think that top-down is a very effective method for arcade gameplay. Yes: THIS is one of those games that reduces your group into fits of loud, party hysteria, and does so better than modern games that attempt it.

QUOTE (Steel Rat @ Aug 7 2012, 02:14 AM)
I play games for the gameplay; I've always secretly had a pretentious hatred for people who enjoy games based on story. PS1 generation of Final Fantasy and each of its redundant successors are the types of games for which I have a severe revulsion.

I mean, not only do they have no interesting gameplay mechanics, but their storylines are... just... really, really bad.

I'm sorry, I HONESTLY couldn't help myself; I always NEED to point out that I don't like it whenever someone lists those horrible games as their favorites. laugh.gif

ANYWAY! Here's some games that I've logged over 1000 hours into, and games that I would be proud to include in a "TOP X LIST OF EPIC GAMES"

I included 7, because these are truly the most important to me - I couldn't just do five, that seemed to arbitrarily exclude some games that deserved to be noted.

#1: Minecraft - I Goddamn love this game. No game has ever captured outdoor wildlife survival nearly as effectively; which is a HUGE shame to the video game industry, because that is a concept that has always been begging to be explored. One man comes up with idea, and does it the RIGHT way; f**k you, corporations. On top of that point, I always have contraptions I want to invent, worlds I want to regulate, adventures I want to design, and Minecraft has always been great about getting out of the way and just letting your mind explode onto an environment. EASILY my #1 favorite game of all time.

#2 NEStalgia - This game still hasn't gone viral after 3 long years of underground popularity, there are only a few thousand players. This game EASILY takes #2 on my favorite game of all time; I have NO reservations for ranking Nestalgia and Minecraft so confidently; fantastic games, truly deserving of the word EPIC, and FAR out-running any of the other titles on this list.

#3 Team Fortress 2 - Best shaping of an arcade FPS. f***ing great work; bonus points because they made it free. Thank you for such a huge restoration of faith for modern video games and the gaming industry, Valve.

#4 SSB/M - I'm not really sure which version I like better, I believe that Classic feels more natural, and Melee seems a bit more sluggish. All the while, melee has tons of greatness that draws me to it in this supernatural way. I guess I have to include them both. I've never enjoyed Brawl, though.

#5 Heroes of Might and Magic II - It was a mixture of huge, infinite possibilities combined with simplicity. You had so many options, but it was limited in a way that you didn't need to exploit every last excrutiating detail to keep up with the computer, unlike other Civilization spinoffs. You couldn't split up parties, you couldn't explore with creatures, you couldn't spawn more "settlements"; all of these sound like bad things, but in reality, this made playing the game a LOT less tedious. Sure, you couldn't do those things, but the computer/other players couldn't either, so you didn't need to worry about non-fun aspects of turn based strategy. And even so, there was still an enormous degree of freedom. I ultimately decided that I hate Civilization; it's far more addicting than it is actual fun. If you want to have actual fun playing something from the Civ genre, HOMM2 did it right.

#6 Warcraft II - the first game to enter my "LIST OF X FAVORITES," way back in 1996 or something like that. I played it LITERALLY CONSTANTLY for well over ten years, and I still revisit it all the time. I love building custom maps, and the Warcraft II map editor was so quick and simple.

#7 Super Bomberman II (Four players!) - Probably for the same reason everyone loves Smash Bros, it's a simply blow-em-up party game with a unique gameplay design. And it's top-down: there are so few top-down party games, but I think that top-down is a very effective method for arcade gameplay. Yes: THIS is one of those games that reduces your group into fits of loud, party hysteria, and does so better than modern games that attempt it.

I play FF for story, gameplay, music, and most Importantly, atmosphere. Please don't misinterpret...I'm not saying you don't have imagination, but I think imagination is an important pat of enjoying these games. The games are not repetitive though, I don't know how you can say that about FF.

Anyways, I wholeheartedly agree that sometimes the stories are ridiculous. But I gladly ignore that and enjoy it for what it is. I hope this doesn't come off as pretentious; I truly respect your opinion and not all FF fans are pretentious. That said, I hope you see where I'm coming from, because while your post was not necessarily insulting, I did somewhat sadden me. Not because the games are a huge part of my life, but because you called me pretentious for enjoying something. By that logic everyone is pretentious for enjoying any form of art.

If I look at abstract paintings with many surreal touches, does it make me pretentious for liking it? Or am I only allowed to like paintings depicting a specific picture?

And also, a story being good or bad is all opinion. If you have not played FFX all the way through, I highly recommend you do. Sure, the voice acting is lame and there are many awkward gestures from the characters, but don't go around saying that storyline is repetitive or unoriginal. Whether you like it or not is an opinion, but a story like that is very unique to any form of media.

Oops, sorry! I misinterpreted your post thinking you were calling us fans pretentious blush4.gif

I didn't realize you said YOU had a pretentious hatred and went off on this rant. Cheers trink39.gif

My PoV stands, and I still respect, and even understand yours.

1.Star Ocean: 'till the End of Time

2.The Legend of Dragoon

3.Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core

4.Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure

5.Sly 2 Band of Thieves* ( better than 1 and 3)

*It only made this list because I couldn't think of anything else.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Aug 7 2012, 12:14 PM)
Oops, sorry! I misinterpreted your post thinking you were calling us fans pretentious blush4.gif

I didn't realize you said YOU had a pretentious hatred and went off on this rant. Cheers trink39.gif

Your second interpretation was interpreted correctly! trink39.gif

I really need to try out minecraft at some point.

As far as "story" games go. I have played a few like Batman" Arkham Asylum, I enjoyed it and others like this but I rarely finish them. Arkham on my hd is sitting at the last boss battle. Pretty good, i usually lose interest in them before that point. I always buy them at super-discount prices. For me there is just no replay in them. One of the things I really want in games I purchase.

Edited by burgeranacoke

QUOTE (Steel Rat @ Aug 7 2012, 01:55 PM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Aug 7 2012, 12:14 PM)
Oops, sorry! I misinterpreted your post thinking you were calling us fans pretentious  blush4.gif

Your second interpretation was interpreted correctly! trink39.gif

This is how arguments should always be trink39.gif

Thanks for understanding also smile.gif

I've boiled down a top-ten in no particular order:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-qF_tlBoUF38/TqcQD4nvYFI/AAAAAAAAAKo/M30Ws0Siggc/s320/fallout3_1_lg.jpg

Fallout 3

I have seldom played a game so immersive, so enthralling as Fallout 3. The ruins of DC serve as a chilling but recognizable vast setting for countless hours of exploration, battle, and puzzle solving. This game offers you a virtual life to build for yourself among the mutants and robots left wandering the Capital Wateland. Truly one of the best games I have ever played.

http://www.counterfrag.com/screenshots/nascar%20racing%202003%20season/3.jpg

NASCAR Racing 2003 Season

The best racing simulation game I have ever played. NASCAR Racing 2003 Season is regarded among race sim fans as a pinnacle achievement from it's producer Papyrus. Unfortunately, after the release of the game, NASCAR signed an exclusivity contract with Electronic Arts, which killed Papyrus' most successful franchize, driving them out of business. The physics engine from this game later went on to be the base of the successful driving simulator "iRacing".

http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/948/948050/wonder-boy-in-monster-land-review-20090126091809970.jpg

Wonder Boy in Monster Land

Growing up, I was that one kid who didn't have an NES, but rather had a Sega Master System. I may have missed out on Mega Man and Mario, but I had Wonder Boy. Wonder Boy in Monster Land was the second release in the franchise, and was an endless source of hidden secrets, interesting enemies, cool magic spells and upgrades, and genuinely fun, challenging play.

http://coolrom.com/screenshots/n64/Mario%20Kart%2064%20(2).gif

Mario Kart 64

One of my favorite classics from the N64, this game is all about competition. The system of speed compensation and bonus rewards allowed for nobody to ever be out of the running until the very end of the race. This is a game you can absolutely master, but because of the level of competition this game offers, it lets newcomers compete in any given race. The differences between the drivers, and the variety of tracks leads to a memorable experience that remains a fun, competitive game to this day.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-quIrVpgkRCM/T_S9Ct1ZNLI/AAAAAAAABGA/bvBECcx090c/s1600/gfs_43216_2_4.jpg

Vigilante 8

Going up against the successful Twisted Metal series, Vigilante 8 offered a rougher, heavier feel to the vehicular combat arena. The vehicles didn't handle like you always wanted them to, the weapons had a ton more effects on the way you'd be able to drive, and this game offered a really difficult system of combination maneuvers to master. If you didn't have your unique special weapon to fire, you could always set up combo attacks to fire off a 'pusher' missile, which attaches to your enemy and pushes them away, or a devastating 'crater maker' mortar that would actually warp the terrain upon its impact. This game was a blast.

http://www.xboxisozone.com/images/files/thumbs/1011-1.jpg

NHL Hitz 20'03

Midway's hockey answer to their successful NFL Blitz series, this 3v3 arcade hockey game allowed for surprising complexity in play styles, contained within an incredible accessible simple interface. The elegance of this game lies in the pure competition it offers. You can score at any time, and you can turn the tables at the drop of a hat. The offensive techniques you can master go beyond the controls or combos the game promotes. This is easily the best 'party' game I have ever played. Fantastic for 2v2 tournaments.

http://samsung-witu.narod.ru/games/pictures_games/1240757806_capture01.jpg

Starcraft

In my opinion, this is the game that wrote the book on RTS. The balance of the original Starcraft, as well as its expansion, Brood Wars, offered many hours of painstaking planning and execution of several enemies. The built in map editor allowed for great levels and difficult challenges. Some of the modifications people made on battle net provided completely different games to play within Starcraft. It's sequel is certainly carrying the torch well now, but the original Starcraft was incredible.

http://image.jeuxvideo.com/imd/s/sonic2hd2_m.jpg

Sonic the Hedgehog 2

The original Sonic the Hedgehog was amazing enough, but Sonic 2 really tore the lid off the franchise. The addition of the spin dash move, as well as sidekick Tails really smoothed out everything the original was missing. The level design on this game was second to none, and Dr. Robotnick's final dreadnought, the 'giant eggman' is still one of the most memorable enemies I've ever faced in a video game.

http://www.wescoregames.com/dynimgs/games/psp-tiger-woods-pga-tour-06/tiger_woods_pga_tour_06_206184.jpg

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2006

Wait? 06?? Why not the latest greatest Tiger? Every year Tiger would come out, and it would have something different. This is pretty typical of year-to-year EA releases. Small polishes, tweaks, etc... Tiger 06 had the best putting system of any Tiger game. It also provided a huge number of customization options for your custom golfer, a wide variety of courses to play on, and a general fun feel. I remember getting 07, and immediately seeing it as a step backward. I just think the Tiger franchise peaked in 06, and man was that a fun game.

http://tech4teens.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/ps2-madden-10-wildcat.jpg

Madden '10 (PS2)

Madden was in its hay day on PS2. It was accessible for anyone to pick up and play, and it was complex enough to become a master. All things being equal, I'd say Madden '11 (which was the last PS2 iteration of Madden) was just as good as '10- but it lacked online support. I spent many an hour honing my Madden skills against foes online, who I seldom had ANY chance of beating; but I relished every score I could muster. This was my favorite Madden game, and I always enjoyed online play, as well as franchise mode, which allowed me to create my custom team of underdogs, the Toronto Bees.

Edited by KenJennings

Gah...this is a hard one for me. Is it okay if I do series or companies?

Valve Games (Including Portal 2, Half-Life series, Day of Defeat, TF series, Counter-Strike, etc.)

Quake/Doom series

Halo 1 Anniversary

Unreal Series + Tournaments

BioWare Games (Excluding Dragon Age 2...Yuck)

Sorry for this terrible list. I just have no idea what my favorites are. It's a very tough list...I guess it's safe to say these are probably my most played games.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Mar 22 2011, 12:30 PM)
1. Metal Gear Solid (I'm gonna cheat and say the entire saga, including the Metal Gear ones.)
2.Final Fantasy 8
3.Final Fantasy 9
4.Ocarina Of Time
5.Final Fantasy 10

3 final fantasy games that don't make people's favorite final fantasy lists make your top 5 of all games? Very strange to me.

1. The Legend of Zelda

2. Super Mario Bros. 3

3. Phantasy Star

4. The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time

5. Sonic The Hedgehog

Pokemon Emerald

The Sims Medieval(Pirates and Nobles expansion pack)

Sim City 4

Cities XL 2012

The Legend Of Zelda-The Minish Cap

Edited by Nate2112

Cities XL 2012

This could have been a great game. It has all of the features you really want in a City Sim building game and It is a beautiful looking game. The problem is... it is broken at its core.

This game was originally designed to be multiplayer with single player as an after thought. Problem is it made a poor multiplayer and the goal to make it open to modding and a great single player was a great goal but it is so broken at its core that it is hard to recommend unless you have a lot of patience.

The problems are

Memory Leak

No multi-threading, it only runs on a single core and this game really needs a lot of CPU power.

Buggy as heck

To play you really need to exit and restart every 45 minutes.

On a positive note, there are some fantastic mods for this game. and sim city never looked or played like this...

http://i22.servimg.com/u/f22/14/72/76/09/gamesc30.jpg

The Legend Of Zelda (NES)

Tecmo Super Bowl (NES)

World Of Tanks (pc)

Pac-Man (arcade)

Lego Star Wars 2 (mulitple systems)

Honorable mentions:

Rock Band 2 (multiple systems)

MechWarrior (pc)

Civilizations (pc)

Panzer General/Allied General (pc)

• Like 1