Most underrated songs by the most overrated artist

furie

I love U2 but many judge them to be overrated. I don't, but whatever. They're mostly known for a few select songs but they have quite a few obscure songs that are incredible.

I'll do a top 5 underrated U2 song list:

Acrobat off of Achtung Baby

This is actually one of Bono's favorite U2 songs, but it has been cruelly left unplayed live for some reason. It's perfect. My favorite U2 song by a mile

Gone off of Pop

This whole album is underrated, but this song is a true masterpiece.

Love Comes Tumbling off of The Unforgettable Fire

It's actually a b-side from TUF that has been wholly ignored by everyone. I find it to be one of the more emotionally stimulating songs of their catalog. Just haunting and bleak.

Wire off of The Unforgettable Fire

Probably the most manic U2 song. It's just an action packed ride with great performances all around. Largely forgotten by everyone since that tour/album.

Stay (Faraway, So Close) off of Zooropa

Probably the most well known of all these songs, but I'd still say it's pretty unknown by the general public. One of their absolute best songs, musically, lyrically, and emotionally. It just hits everything so well. They always do a stupid acoustic version of it live, which just isn't the same.

Don't know why I made this list, but here it is! tongue.gif

If you're going to call Neil Young overrated, the entire re.ac.tor album would fit into that category for me.

Got mashed potatoes

Ain't got no T-Bone

Nine minutes of distorted heaven (and lyrical mediocrity)

"The Unforgettable Fire" didn't seem to generate many singles. From what I remember, "Pride (In the name of love)" was the only one that received significant airplay. "Bad" was the only other one that seemed to get nearly as much airplay, but the other songs no.

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Mar 20 2011, 10:39 AM)
Wire off of The Unforgettable Fire
Probably the most manic U2 song.  It's just an action packed ride with great performances all around.  Largely forgotten by everyone since that tour/album.

Definitely, I love that track.

I'll add the title track and "A Sort of Homecoming" from that record as well. IMO, that opening block of four is just so amazing, and is probably the reason that it's my favorite U2 album.

I don't think of too many bands as overrated...but of those mentioned:

All I Want Is You-U2

Thru and Thru-Rolling Stones

I like both bands by the way. If I see others mentioned here...I'll try to throw a gem out there from the library if I know one.

from U2 I always thought 'stuck in a moment' was a nice song.

also 'two of us' by the Beatles I love! (even though the beatles aren't over-rated lol)

"These bands define "overrated""....not in my book pally. Each group listed are/were immense.

Their other lists contain a plethora of fine indie/alternative bands....is it uncool to like old bands again? No one told me at the last meeting and it's not in the minutes!!!

Archived