What is a good pair of earplugs for concerts?

Hemispheres89

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 2 2011, 01:25 PM)
Ok, so forgive my stupidity here, but I don't get the whole earplugs at concerts thing.

For me it's pretty much of a moot point as I almost never go to concerts, and I DO understand the whole protecting your ears from hearing loss thing, which is obviously sensible, but doesn't it muffle the sound you end up hearing? I mean, doesn't it detract from the overall experience of what a concert is supposed to be?

I always equated wearing earplugs to a concert to wearing a blindfold to a fireworks display. I don't get it. no.gif unsure.gif

The average rock concert is about 120 decibels loud, which the equivalent of a jet engine taking off. Your ears can always compensate and dull your hearing to protect themselves, but damage is inevitable after roughly 100 decibels (the actual number depends on the person).

Now you might think that 20 decibels isn't much of a difference right? WRONG. Decibels are measured on a logarithmic scale, which means sound waves need to increase their amplitude by a whole to go up one decibel as you go up the scale.

Yes, earplugs do muffle the sound a little, but ultimately, it's worth it to preserve your hearing. I attend 1-2 concerts per year and since my last one, I've been scared into using earplugs (my ears were ringing for 24 hours after I saw Rush in Toronto).

So unless the fireworks shows you attend use magnesium flares, your analogy is fairly inaccurate.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 2 2011, 12:25 PM)
Ok, so forgive my stupidity here, but I don't get the whole earplugs at concerts thing.
For me it's pretty much of a moot point as I almost never go to concerts, and I DO understand the whole protecting your ears from hearing loss thing, which is obviously sensible, but doesn't it muffle the sound you end up hearing?  I mean, doesn't it detract from the overall experience of what a concert is supposed to be? 
I always equated wearing earplugs to a concert to wearing a blindfold to a fireworks display.  I don't get it. no.gif  unsure.gif

Nope, GOOD ear protection doesn't interfere with an enjoyable concert experience.

Often, I find that the acoustics of any given venue will influence the sound quality of a live show more than will the use of quality ear protection.

You might liken it to watching fireworks thorough rose-colored glasses and hope that the night sky is clear and not overcast wink.gif

sorry, i'm still not getting it.

then again, i come from the school of listening to cd's on an audiophile stereo system, either amplified or with audiophile headphones. i don't like listening to mp3's that have compressed music and/or listening through crappy speakers. i'm always for hearing sound as pristine as i can given a situation.

i can only imagine that putting in earplugs would not only dampen the sound, but affect it adversely. concerts cost too much to hear it that way. anyway, like i said, it's kind of a moot point as i rarely, rarely go to concerts these days, but if i do go, i want to hear it the way it's meant to be heard. just personal choice i guess...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 2 2011, 03:01 PM)

then again, i come from the school of listening to cd's on an audiophile stereo system, either amplified or with audiophile headphones. i don't like listening to mp3's that have compressed music and/or listening through crappy speakers. i'm always for hearing sound as pristine as i can given a situation.

i can only imagine that putting in earplugs would not only dampen the sound, but affect it adversely. concerts cost too much to hear it that way. anyway, like i said, it's kind of a moot point as i rarely, rarely go to concerts these days, but if i do go, i want to hear it the way it's meant to be heard. just personal choice i guess...

I can see your point. If you attend less than one concert per year than maybe there isn't any point in wearing earplugs. When you attend concerts frequently then it's a matter of preserving your hearing. I'm sure that if you pick the right ear plugs they won't ruin the sound very much.

I have a pair of earplugs that are custom made to keep water out when I go swimming (any water in my ears triggers an ear infection) which I wear when I'm at F1 races. I find that the sound of engines are nearly perfectly preserved with my ear plugs on. I haven't tried them in concert yet, but they work wonders at races in general without comprimising the sound of some the fastest car engins on the planet.

The most pristine sounding concert in the scores of shows I have attended since 1974 was at Red Rocks Amphitheater. No need for ear protection there to hear live music as it is meant to be heard!

I suppose that if you do not routinely go to live shows, then you cannot fully appreciate what live music does to your hearing over time. confused13.gif

I also attend live shows to actually SEE and observe visually musicians perform and to participate in the symbiotic relationship between performer and audience. I dig the whole vibe of concerts, not only the loud music cool.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 2 2011, 02:01 PM)

I can actually hear BETTER with earplugs. When I go to concerts the sound is usually so loud that I hear a distorted version of the music. My ears cant take that much volume.

But when I wear earplugs I can actually hear better because it blocks the super high decibels.

Rushgoober: turn your stereo up so loud that it hurts your ears, then put earplugs in and hear the difference. Its the same deal at a concert.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 2 2011, 12:25 PM)

For me it's pretty much of a moot point as I almost never go to concerts, and I DO understand the whole protecting your ears from hearing loss thing, which is obviously sensible, but doesn't it muffle the sound you end up hearing? I mean, doesn't it detract from the overall experience of what a concert is supposed to be?

I always equated wearing earplugs to a concert to wearing a blindfold to a fireworks display. I don't get it. no.gif unsure.gif

This makes sense to someone who rarely goes to concerts. A show once a year will cause inevitable damage, but not to the degree that a dozen (or more) shows would cause in a year. Hearing damage is accumulative. Your ears have the ability to bounce back once you leaeve a noisy environment, but damage has been done that cannot be undone or fixed. Your cochlear hairs have been bent or misshapen, and in the case of severe damage, totally destroyed.

The loudest concert was The Who's performance at the Charlton Athletic Football Ground in 1976. They played at just under 130 decibels, and when Keith Moons drum exploded (a signature of his becaus The Who destroyed their instruments as part of the entertainment), it caused an explosion exceeding 165 decibels at the site of impact, where Pete Townshend just so happened to be standing a few feet away. He instantly went permanently deaf in one ear. And since then, he has aged and gradually lost most of his hearing in his GOOD ear due to continuous touring with loud music WITHOUT earplugs!!

I went to see Ozzy Osbourne and was close to the stage. This was about my 10th concert (in my 4th year of seeing concerts), and afterwards, my ears rang for about 3 days straight.. the longest they ever had! Because of this, I was smart enough to do research and realize that i NEED earplugs!

And let me tell you, these foam plugs do NOT deteriorate the sound. Most of the time, people are mistaken into thinking that just because the music is super loud, it's super clear. This is false. Those decibels blaring out at the speaker are heavily focused on distortion so its a jumbled mess. The earplugs get rid of that distortion almost entirely, lower the volume to about 80-90 decibels, AND make each instrument sound clearer. So instead of dealing with a volume of a jet taking off, you are left with something along the lines of blaring music on your computer speakers at max volume WITHOUT headphones. Thats a good idea of what it sounds like.

It also blocks out the annoying crowd noise. You can actually hear your own voice better, as awell as the individual voices around you.

Everyone should be wearing earplugs at concerts. My generation is going to all be deaf by the time they are 40.

QUOTE (Hemispheres89 @ Apr 2 2011, 10:23 PM)

And let me tell you, these foam plugs do NOT deteriorate the sound. Most of the time, people are mistaken into thinking that just because the music is super loud, it's super clear. This is false. Those decibels blaring out at the speaker are heavily focused on distortion so its a jumbled mess. The earplugs get rid of that distortion almost entirely, lower the volume to about 80-90 decibels, AND make each instrument sound clearer. So instead of dealing with a volume of a jet taking off, you are left with something along the lines of blaring music on your computer speakers at max volume WITHOUT headphones. Thats a good idea of what it sounds like.

exactly! I can hear the concert BETTER with ear plugs in.

No one has mentioned ear filters much. They are not plugs, they don't block out the sound, they just turn the sound down a little bit. Kinda like going up to the engineer's board, throwing him to the way side and lowering all the levels by a little bit.

My little back story on getting good filters for my ears. After being front row for a Thornley show, with 3 warm up acts before the show too, right in front of Tavis Stanley's peavy stack, my ears were practically bleeding for 3 days after that show. That was my wake up call. I went here: http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/

After searching around, keep in mind this was about 5 years ago, I decided to grab a few pairs at different price points. The Mack's Hear Plugs (NRR 12) mine look like the Howard Leight Reusable Plugs, a set of the Etymotic Hi-Fi filters (NRR 12) and finally a set of the Hock's Noise Brakers (NRR 19) mine look exactly like the picture next to the BlastBuster Shooter's Plugs in the hunting section. At the time of my purchase the Hocks was the most expensive at almost $19 bucks for one set of plugs, the hi-fi filters were closer to $12 and the Mack's hear plugs around $8. Looks like prices and designs have changed a little bit now.

For my ears: I found the Macks felt exactly like an ear plug in my ear, it did the job of bringing the high dbs down, but not very comfy for my ear at all. They are my work plugs now. The Hi-fi's were more comfortable, did the job just the same, but I didn't like the 3 large humps. Mom is currently using these and loves me for them. The Brakers, the winners in my book, they don't feel like I have anything in my ear at all, great for a 3 hour Rush show. They are very short only 1 inch long and they are completely clear so no one sees anything sticking out of your ear when the look at you. The Hi-fi's blue end sticks out of your ear a lil.

And they work, I don't leave home to go to any show without them now. I love being right up front close to the stage, I can now go for hours in front of any full blast pa stack when people probably think I'm completely nuts! I also have to agree that it cuts down on distortion, however I don't really take them out to compare once the show starts. Best part of the filters, at the end of any audible pounding, I can take them out, no ringing in the ears and I think if all were quiet I could hear a pin drop.

QUOTE (Xanadude69 @ Apr 3 2011, 09:53 PM)
QUOTE (Hemispheres89 @ Apr 2 2011, 10:23 PM)

exactly! I can hear the concert BETTER with ear plugs in.

I dont know about yours, but my particular plugs cut down the crowd noise to the point that a very loud collective cheer sounds like a dull murmur. Earplugs make you feel like the band is playing for JUST you with nobody else around.

As a matter of fact, im gonna say for the record that i think ear damage at rock concerts can be more so caused by the crowd noise thn the actual rock music. Some peopel are non-stop highly energetic. By the end of a 3 hour Rush show, im exhaisted and these people keep screaming at the top of their lungs laugh.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 3 2011, 10:11 PM)
Wearing ear plugs to a concert is like wearing a suit of armour to shag the wife in...

tongue.gif

Don't be so soft you ear plug freaks, you call yourself rock fans???

laugh.gif

Wouldnt a true rock music fan take precautionary measures to protect their hearing so they can continue to listen to and enjoy the gift of music. Id think so.

Music means nothing if you arent able to hear it.

QUOTE (Hemispheres89 @ Apr 3 2011, 11:44 PM)
Wearing ear plugs to a concert is like wearing a suit of armour to shag the wife in...

tongue.gif

laugh.gif

Wouldnt a true rock music fan take precautionary measures to protect their hearing so they can continue to listen to and enjoy the gift of music. Id think so.

Well my ears are fine and I've never bothered with ear plugs... cool.gif

And what do you do with the wax-covered pellets when you're done? I hope you don't eat them! ohmy.gif

I just couldn't see myself plugging in my little yellow plugs at a concert and "rocking" out!

You ear pluggers are just a bunch of rock softies, you'll be bringing furry slippers and a hot water bottle to gigs next...

tongue.gif

QUOTE (Enviro_tech @ Apr 3 2011, 11:44 PM)
No one has mentioned ear filters much. They are not plugs, they don't block out the sound, they just turn the sound down a little bit. Kinda like going up to the engineer's board, throwing him to the way side and lowering all the levels by a little bit.

My little back story on getting good filters for my ears. After being front row for a Thornley show, with 3 warm up acts before the show too, right in front of Tavis Stanley's peavy stack, my ears were practically bleeding for 3 days after that show. That was my wake up call. I went here: http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/

After searching around, keep in mind this was about 5 years ago, I decided to grab a few pairs at different price points. The Mack's Hear Plugs (NRR 12) mine look like the Howard Leight Reusable Plugs, a set of the Etymotic Hi-Fi filters (NRR 12) and finally a set of the Hock's Noise Brakers (NRR 19) mine look exactly like the picture next to the BlastBuster Shooter's Plugs in the hunting section. At the time of my purchase the Hocks was the most expensive at almost $19 bucks for one set of plugs, the hi-fi filters were closer to $12 and the Mack's hear plugs around $8. Looks like prices and designs have changed a little bit now.

For my ears: I found the Macks felt exactly like an ear plug in my ear, it did the job of bringing the high dbs down, but not very comfy for my ear at all. They are my work plugs now. The Hi-fi's were more comfortable, did the job just the same, but I didn't like the 3 large humps. Mom is currently using these and loves me for them. The Brakers, the winners in my book, they don't feel like I have anything in my ear at all, great for a 3 hour Rush show. They are very short only 1 inch long and they are completely clear so no one sees anything sticking out of your ear when the look at you. The Hi-fi's blue end sticks out of your ear a lil.

And they work, I don't leave home to go to any show without them now. I love being right up front close to the stage, I can now go for hours in front of any full blast pa stack when people probably think I'm completely nuts! I also have to agree that it cuts down on distortion, however I don't really take them out to compare once the show starts. Best part of the filters, at the end of any audible pounding, I can take them out, no ringing in the ears and I think if all were quiet I could hear a pin drop.

Thanks for that. The Hocks Noise Brakers look good.

http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/honobr.html

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 4 2011, 12:08 AM)

tongue.gif

laugh.gif

And what do you do with the wax-covered pellets when you're done? I hope you don't eat them! ohmy.gif

I just couldn't see myself plugging in my little yellow plugs at a concert and "rocking" out!

You ear pluggers are just a bunch of rock softies, you'll be bringing furry slippers and a hot water bottle to gigs next...

tongue.gif

It has nothing to do with being a SOFTIE. I just prefer clarity and lower volumes over a deafening sound that just hinders your enjoyment of the music anyway. When a loud concert first starts up, my ears are fine but by about halfway through, they start getting crackly noises because they have been damaged, and from that point onwards the music isnt as enjoyable.

You want to keep doing that, go right on ahead. But you are still fairly young, it is gonna hit you 10 years from now.

QUOTE (Xanadude69 @ Apr 2 2011, 07:21 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 2 2011, 02:01 PM)

then again, i come from the school of listening to cd's on an audiophile stereo system, either amplified or with audiophile headphones.  i don't like listening to mp3's that have compressed music and/or listening through crappy speakers.  i'm always for hearing sound as pristine as i can given a situation. 

i can only imagine that putting in earplugs would not only dampen the sound, but affect it adversely.  concerts cost too much to hear it that way.  anyway, like i said, it's kind of a moot point as i rarely, rarely go to concerts these days, but if i do go, i want to hear it the way it's meant to be heard.  just personal choice i guess...

I can actually hear BETTER with earplugs. When I go to concerts the sound is usually so loud that I hear a distorted version of the music. My ears cant take that much volume.

But when I wear earplugs I can actually hear better because it blocks the super high decibels.

Rushgoober: turn your stereo up so loud that it hurts your ears, then put earplugs in and hear the difference. Its the same deal at a concert.

I agree. My ears actually hurt if I don't wear earplugs. I have hearing loss in one ear and it is NOT FUN! I wear a hearing aid and have tinnitus every day of my life. Protect your ears, people!

QUOTE (Hemispheres89 @ Apr 4 2011, 01:03 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 4 2011, 12:08 AM)

tongue.gif

laugh.gif

tongue.gif

It has nothing to do with being a SOFTIE. I just prefer clarity and lower volumes over a deafening sound that just hinders your enjoyment of the music anyway. When a loud concert first starts up, my ears are fine but by about halfway through, they start getting crackly noises because they have been damaged, and from that point onwards the music isnt as enjoyable.

You want to keep doing that, go right on ahead. But you are still fairly young, it is gonna hit you 10 years from now.

Softie!!!

1287.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 4 2011, 01:08 AM)

tongue.gif

laugh.gif

tongue.gif

It's both frightening and maddening when your ears are still ringing for a full 24 hours after the concert. I do NOT want to go through that again. Call me what you will. If it saves me the madness of the constant ringing in my ears, then I can postpone checking into and asylum for another decade. laugh.gif

QUOTE (usb_connector @ Apr 4 2011, 08:54 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 4 2011, 01:08 AM)

tongue.gif

laugh.gif

tongue.gif

It's both frightening and maddening when your ears are still ringing for a full 24 hours after the concert. I do NOT want to go through that again. Call me what you will. If it saves me the madness of the constant ringing in my ears, then I can postpone checking into and asylum for another decade. laugh.gif

This right here goodpost.gif

I like so many bands, and so many genres of music, and i like that I can come home after a stressful day and put on any song I feel like listening to, and I can enjoy it. Having said that, I do highly anticipate and enjoy concerts but i have realized that no single band is worthy of robbing me of my hearing. Just take a look at the musicians on the stage; most of them wear ear protection. So why shouldnt the crowd!

I feel sorry for the people who have this: IT WONT HAPPEN TO ME! attitude. Hearing doesnt have unique variations among people, unlike a healthy diet to prevent heart attacks and diabetes. If your ears are ringing after a show, its causing you (and everyone else who was exposed to it) irreversible damage at the same rate. Its not a question of IF it will happen, its WHEN it will decide to creep up on you.

I feel sincerely sorry for tinnitus sufferers, especially if they did nothing to deserve it. I have a close friend who has it and its driving him into severe depression. Most people take that for granted. And now, I have clogged ears (an inability to pop my ears easily) so I have some idea on how maddening ear dysfunctions can be.

PROTECT YOUR HEARING, EVERYONE! AND ENJOY 2.gif

When I began playing drums I didn't wear earplugs but I soon realized what kind of damage it was having on my ears and how much my ears hurt after I'd finish.

Same goes for a concert--the ringing in your ears may go away after a while but the damage has been done, and it's permanent.

So now for the past 7 years or so that I've played drums I've worn earplugs every time I practice.

And I always wear them for any shows I go to.

I can only imagine how mad I'd become if I suffered from tinnitus.

Earplugs are GOOD!!!

QUOTE (Rush! @ Apr 5 2011, 12:05 AM)
When I began playing drums I didn't wear earplugs but I soon realized what kind of damage it was having on my ears and how much my ears hurt after I'd finish.

Same goes for a concert--the ringing in your ears may go away after a while but the damage has been done, and it's permanent.

So now for the past 7 years or so that I've played drums I've worn earplugs every time I practice.

Earplugs are GOOD!!!

If you play musical instruments, and even more so, play in a band, then ear plugs are paramount.

Just ask Lars Ulrich from Metallica, who suffers from severe tinnitus that he started experiencing when he was playing in Metallica in his early 20s. He would awaken in the middle of the night to go turn off the TV, but it was in fact his ringing that woke him up.. the TV was off.

Doesnt sound like a very fun thing to live with.

But apparently, we are SOFTIES. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Hemispheres89 @ Apr 5 2011, 03:39 PM)

Earplugs are GOOD!!!

If you play musical instruments, and even more so, play in a band, then ear plugs are paramount.

Just ask Lars Ulrich from Metallica, who suffers from severe tinnitus that he started experiencing when he was playing in Metallica in his early 20s. He would awaken in the middle of the night to go turn off the TV, but it was in fact his ringing that woke him up.. the TV was off.

I have tinnitus and it's fine it sounds like the remnants of the big bang! The voice of the universe is speaking to me!!

notworthy.gif

Now get out of here with your ear plugs and maybe eat a few packs of them it might be nutritional!

laugh.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 5 2011, 03:43 PM)

Earplugs are GOOD!!!

I have tinnitus and it's fine it sounds like the remnants of the big bang! The voice of the universe is speaking to me!!

notworthy.gif

Now get out of here with your ear plugs and maybe eat a few packs of them it might be nutritional!

laugh.gif

Unfortunately for you, this is a thread about ear plugs, so its not going anywhere laugh.gif

QUOTE (Hemispheres89 @ Apr 5 2011, 05:18 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Apr 5 2011, 03:43 PM)

Earplugs are GOOD!!!

notworthy.gif

laugh.gif

Unfortunately for you, this is a thread about ear plugs, so its not going anywhere laugh.gif

We're all going somewhere, the whole solar system, we're flying around the galactic centre at 220 kilometres per second and it takes us 250 million years to make one orbit.

In space no one can hear you scream, cos you've got those damn ear plugs in!!

laugh.gif

Archived