Geddy Lee Mentioned on Howard Stern

snowdogged

QUOTE (kbomb106 @ Mar 16 2011, 11:08 AM)
To be fair about my previous Michael Anthony comments, I was poking through more Rush bass tabs, and found a song that might be right up his alley. Bravado has a similar style to his (many repeating notes and not a lot of complex rhythms). So I guess I was overspeaking when I said the simplest Rush song is more complex than the hardest Van Halen song. I stand corrected.

That said, I still prefer Geddy, though in fairness, they're not very comparable.

Some Van Halen songs are very challenging rhythmically. Not so much with odd time signatures, but with feel and accents and the way they treated things like double time. Eddie often thought outside the box when he was writing songs and came up with rhythm parts that were offbeat and syncopated, and they really put Michael and Alex to work.

Examples:

A.F.U (Naturally Wired)

Michael maybe not be in Geddy's league as a bassist, but anybody who can play along with Eddie's stuff is a damn good musician.

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Mar 15 2011, 11:49 AM)
If Michael Anthony is as good as Geddy Lee on bass,

Jesus....that's not what Sammy was saying. He was comparing Michael Anthony as a bassist who sings lead vocals. Not comparing bass skills.

Peace,

Ron

QUOTE (Ron2112 @ Mar 16 2011, 04:40 PM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Mar 15 2011, 11:49 AM)
If Michael Anthony is as good as Geddy Lee on bass,

Jesus....that's not what Sammy was saying. He was comparing Michael Anthony as a bassist who sings lead vocals. Not comparing bass skills.

Peace,

Ron

You might want to give it another listen to. Yes he is comparing them in the way you say but he is also saying that he is as good as Geddy on bass.

Quote: "One of the greatest rock bass players in history, right up there with Geddy Lee!"

He starts talking about it at the 8:35 mark.

Interview

Ya know I was really looking forward to hearing that interview as I heard Howard mention he was gonna be on and dammit if I didn't get a chancer to listen yesterday!!!! banghead.gif

Of course he was blowing MA playing up...They're in the same band again...MA was great for VH 'cuz he laid down a basic track that Eddie could wail away all over....I read an interview with Eddie and he said that's what he felt was great about him and why he was the perfect bass player for VH.

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Mar 15 2011, 09:11 AM)
Sammy Hagar was on Stern and he was talking about Michael Anthony and saying Michael was a great singer and also a great bassist, right up there with Geddy Lee. While I don't agree with that, it's cool that it was Geddy Lee that he used as the example of a great bass player

Yes! I heard it too! Sweet!! Can't wait to pick up "Red" as it looks like a wild read!!

"Red" is my favorite Sammy Hagar song.

I was always thinking that Van Halen could have been a three piece after Sammy split.

I saw the "VAN HALEN III" Tour in Concord and Gary Cherone absolutely sucked.

However when Gary took a break for a wardrobe change VH did "Somebody Get Me A Doctor" with Michael Anthony on lead vocals. Mike absolutely killed it and I was frigging blown away!

Some cool M.A bass lines that come to mind...

Push Comes to Shove

Dirty Movies

Pleasure Dome

Right Now

I think he was held back by Eddie. I dont think he's in the same league as geddy, but he does have some chops that he didn't get to show off much in the context of the music that Eddie wrote.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Mar 16 2011, 07:15 PM)
Some cool M.A bass lines that come to mind...

Push Comes to Shove
Dirty Movies
Pleasure Dome
Right Now

I think he was held back by Eddie. I dont think he's in the same league as geddy, but he does have some chops that he didn't get to show off much in the context of the music that Eddie wrote.

Mike's bass solos didn't really impress either when seeing VH live. Luckily I was able to catch them in 1984 at the Cow Palace when I was 16!

I will admit that I loved his Jack Daniels bass with the secret compartment containing a small bottle of Jack.

Classic. yes.gif

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Mar 15 2011, 10:11 AM)
...and saying Michael was a great singer and also a great bassist, right up there with Geddy Lee.

...up there with Geddy Lee as a bassist? ..or a singer??

the only thing impressive about Michael Anthony is the way he can dump JD down his throat.

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Mar 16 2011, 10:09 PM)
...and saying Michael was a great singer and also a great bassist, right up there with Geddy Lee.

the only thing impressive about Michael Anthony is the way he can dump JD down his throat.

laugh.gif

It must be about Mike's voice as Geddy can sing and run circles around Anthony's basslines.

Sorry for stating the obvious.

Signed,

The Master Of Stating The Obvious

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Mar 17 2011, 12:09 AM)

He said it about both!

He starts talking about it at 8:35.

Interview

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Mar 16 2011, 11:13 PM)

laugh.gif

It must be about Mike's voice as Geddy can sing and run circles around Anthony's basslines.

Signed,

yeah but Geddy hits the right high note and Mikey's JD bottle shatters leaving him powerless! tongue.gif tongue.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Mar 16 2011, 10:48 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Mar 16 2011, 11:13 PM)

laugh.gif

Signed,

yeah but Geddy hits the right high note and Mikey's JD bottle shatters leaving him powerless! tongue.gif tongue.gif 1022.gif

Hahahaha!! Thanks for the laugh dude!!

I will say that Mike can get up there too but no comparison to the Gedster.

What if Michael Anthony were to do back up vocals on the upcoming "Clockwork Angels" album?

Those angel wings would catch "ON FIRE!" LOL!

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Mar 16 2011, 10:17 PM)
QUOTE (MMCXII @ Mar 17 2011, 12:09 AM)

He said it about both!

He starts talking about it at 8:35.

Interview

Indeed! I think Mike can sing just as high as Geddy but when comparing bass chops, it's all Lee.

Archived