Geddy Lee Mentioned on Howard Stern

snowdogged

Sammy Hagar was on Stern and he was talking about Michael Anthony and saying Michael was a great singer and also a great bassist, right up there with Geddy Lee. While I don't agree with that, it's cool that it was Geddy Lee that he used as the example of a great bass player

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Mar 15 2011, 11:11 AM)
Sammy Hagar was on Stern and he was talking about Michael Anthony and saying Michael was great singer and also great bassist, right up there with Geddy Lee. While I don't agree with that, it's cool that it was Geddy Lee that he used as the example of a great bass player

Just heard it myself too. Good for Sammy.

If Michael Anthony is as good as Geddy Lee on bass, then that was a talent severely wasted in Van Halen. I never heard a thing from Michael Anthony to make me think he was on the same planet with Geddy...but then again EVH could have really stifled his playing.

Sammy's probably just giving Michael some props as he should...he seems like a great guy that got ran over by the Van Halens

That's funny.

I remember sitting with my cousin one day about 30 years ago, and my cousin was giving me a quick bass lesson. In 10 minutes he had me playing a bass line on his Rick. Once I had it down, he told me I was playing "Running With The Devil". My cousin said he could learn a Van Halen song in about 10 minutes. Then he played Freewill, to which he said, it took him two weeks to learn.

I'm no bass player, but it doesn't take a bass virtuoso to know that Michael Anthony couldn't hold Geddy's jock. laugh.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Mar 15 2011, 12:16 PM)
That's funny.

I remember sitting with my cousin one day about 30 years ago, and my cousin was giving me a quick bass lesson. In 10 minutes he had me playing a bass line on his Rick. Once I had it down, he told me I was playing "Running With The Devil". My cousin said he could learn a Van Halen song in about 10 minutes. Then he played Freewill, to which he said, it took him two weeks to learn.

I'm no bass player, but it doesn't take a bass virtuoso to know that Michael Anthony couldn't hold Geddy's jock. laugh.gif

Agreed yes.gif And, I am a bass player. cool.gif

Really? They're in the same league? I'm not hearing it. Let's consider the following (for you people that can read tab):

Jump bass tab

Granted, they may have more complex songs, but this was the first that came to mind, and from browsing a few more, seems representative.

Now compare that to...what's an easy Rush song? Of the top of my head, The Pass comes to mind. If you can think of a song with an easier bassline, please let me know and we'll compare it.

The Pass bass tab

Your thoughts?

QUOTE (kbomb106 @ Mar 15 2011, 01:01 PM)
Really?  They're in the same league?  I'm not hearing it.  Let's consider the following (for you people that can read tab):
Jump bass tab
Granted, they may have more complex songs, but this was the first that came to mind, and from browsing a few more, seems representative. 
Now compare that to...what's an easy Rush song?  Of the top of my head, The Pass comes to mind.  If you can think of a song with an easier bassline, please let me know and we'll compare it.
The Pass bass tab
Your thoughts?

I don't play any instruments and can't read tab but Sammy Hagar said that their songs became much more complex after he joined the band. Try checking songs that they did when he was in the band and see if they are more complex.

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Mar 15 2011, 02:11 PM)
I don't play any instruments and can't read tab but Sammy Hagar said that their songs became much more complex after he joined the band. Try checking songs that they did when he was in the band and see if they are more complex.

Fair enough. Have any you'd like me to compare? 2 off the top of my head during the Hagar era:

Why Can't This Be Love bass tab

Dreams bass tab

Still not seeing it, but I do wish to be fair. If you can think of a harder VH song or easier Rush song, I'll be happy to do the comparison and reconsider.

QUOTE (kbomb106 @ Mar 15 2011, 01:28 PM)
QUOTE (snowdogged @ Mar 15 2011, 02:11 PM)

Fair enough. Have any you'd like me to compare? 2 off the top of my head during the Hagar era:

Why Can't This Be Love bass tab

Dreams bass tab

Still not seeing it, but I do wish to be fair. If you can think of a harder VH song or easier Rush song, I'll be happy to do the comparison and reconsider.

I don't know? I don't think Michael Anthony comes anything close to Geddy. I was just conveying what Sammy Hagar said! The only other song that I could name from them with Sammy is Right Now.

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Mar 15 2011, 02:34 PM)
I don't know? I don't think Michael Anthony comes anything close to Geddy. I was just conveying what Sammy Hagar said! The only other song that I could name from them with Sammy is Right Now.

I looked for Right Now, but couldn't find it, which is why I only included these 2. smile.gif

I wouldn't compare the 2, but there's also been nothing (that I've heard) that's particularly exceptional about MA's playing that makes me consider him an above average bassist. I'll give him an A for boozing and an A for enjoying himself, though. I base that on this:

I usually base my opinion on how quickly I can learn a song. If I can pick it up in a day, it's not a hard bassline. Now, not all songs need a complex bassline, but if I can learn your whole catalog in a weekend, you're probably not much better than me - and I am far from a pro.

It doesn't sound to me like Sammy was comparing MA's bass chops with GL's, but rather the whole package of being a bassist/singer. To be fair to mr. Anthony, he is a very strong harmony singer. And who knows how good a bass player he is; VH songs probably wouldn't work as well with busy bass lines under the already busy guitar.

Mostly I appreciate Sammy holding up Geddy as the standard for quality in people who sing and play bass. But I certainly think Geddy is a bit better and more accomplished than Michael Anthony.

QUOTE (kbomb106 @ Mar 15 2011, 01:46 PM)
QUOTE (snowdogged @ Mar 15 2011, 02:34 PM)

I looked for Right Now, but couldn't find it, which is why I only included these 2. smile.gif

I wouldn't compare the 2, but there's also been nothing (that I've heard) that's particularly exceptional about MA's playing that makes me consider him an above average bassist. I'll give him an A for boozing and an A for enjoying himself, though. I base that on this:

I usually base my opinion on how quickly I can learn a song. If I can pick it up in a day, it's not a hard bassline. Now, not all songs need a complex bassline, but if I can learn your whole catalog in a weekend, you're probably not much better than me - and I am far from a pro.

I just watched that bass solo and I think that if Geddy were to do a solo in concert and the quality resembled that in any way, this forum would close within a week!

It's pretty unfair to compare any bass player's (or dummer's) ability to the Rush rhythm section based on work with other bands. Fact is, Rush writes music in a way that allows for a lot more drum and bass wanking than most bands would allow. If someone showed up in my band playing Geddy Lee style bass or Neil Peart drumming, they'd be sent packing pretty quickly (basically, because I'm not as talented as Alex is to play in such a way that supports that style). I want a bass player to lay down the bottom and a drummer to set the beat. That's what most bands want.

The bass player who played on the last CD I recorded may be as good as Geddy Lee, and I'm not kidding in the least when I say that. I've seen him open up for a band by himself and keep the crowed entertained for 30 minutes, only playing his bass. Not many people can pull that off. But if you listen to what he played for my recording, for the most part it's the most boring stuff you can think of (I do have some unreleased tracks where he replaced my guitar solos with bass solos that quite frankly blew what I did out of the water- this is why they are unreleased!). The thing is, he knew what was called for and recorded exactly what was necessary. VH isn't going to sound right with anything more complicated than what MA did.

All that being said, I highly doubt MA could step into Rush and hold his own, while I'm certain Geddy Lee could handle VH parts just fine.

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Mar 15 2011, 11:49 AM)
If Michael Anthony is as good as Geddy Lee on bass, then that was a talent severely wasted in Van Halen. I never heard a thing from Michael Anthony to make me think he was on the same planet with Geddy...but then again EVH could have really stifled his playing.

Sammy's probably just giving Michael some props as he should...he seems like a great guy that got ran over by the Van Halens

I think that if you listen to the early stuff the guy had chops. Eddie probably told him what to play and MA thought of the paycheck. If I was pulling down the coin he did in the 80s, I would have played whole notes with anyone.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Mar 15 2011, 01:16 PM)
That's funny.

First song I learned on bass was "You Really Got Me". Took me 5 minutes.

I seem to recall Sammy Hagar claiming that Chickenfoot would be as good/big as Led Zeppelin... I think it would be fair to say that he is a very optimistic fellow, and speaks highly of people with whom he has good relations, but when it comes down to it, all he says needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Mar 15 2011, 11:11 AM)
Sammy Hagar was on Stern and he was talking about Michael Anthony and saying Michael was a great singer and also a great bassist, right up there with Geddy Lee. While I don't agree with that, it's cool that it was Geddy Lee that he used as the example of a great bass player

Maybe Sammy feels partially responsible for Michael getting the vh boot.

QUOTE (zogoto @ Mar 15 2011, 07:27 PM)
I seem to recall Sammy Hagar claiming that Chickenfoot would be as good/big as Led Zeppelin... I think it would be fair to say that he is a very optimistic fellow, and speaks highly of people with whom he has good relations, but when it comes down to it, all he says needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Yep.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Mar 15 2011, 11:52 PM)
One thing about Michael Anthony is that he's the only one in the original VH lineup that didn't seem like a dick

That's the way Sammy Hagar made it sound! He said Eddie was one of the nicest guys you could meet at first but then he started changing.

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Mar 16 2011, 08:22 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Mar 15 2011, 11:52 PM)
One thing about Michael Anthony is that he's the only one in the original VH lineup that didn't seem like a dick

That's the way Sammy Hagar made it sound! He said Eddie was one of the nicest guys you could meet at first but then he started changing.

Actually, I wasn't going by anything Hagar said. I was going by interviews (in magazines or MTV before Sammy was even in the band).

Oh, and someone changing over time? Yeah, it happens all the time in ordinary people's lives so why not in a rock star's?

To be fair about my previous Michael Anthony comments, I was poking through more Rush bass tabs, and found a song that might be right up his alley. Bravado has a similar style to his (many repeating notes and not a lot of complex rhythms). So I guess I was overspeaking when I said the simplest Rush song is more complex than the hardest Van Halen song. I stand corrected.

That said, I still prefer Geddy, though in fairness, they're not very comparable.

Archived