Montreal Police Launch Investigation

snowdogged

Doesn't seem like this is going to go away anytime soon.

"Montreal police launched an investigation Thursday into this week's devastating hockey hit on Montreal Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty.

The investigation follows a recommendation from Quebec's director of criminal and penal prosecutions to the provincial department of public safety look into whether Tuesday night's hit, during a game in Montreal between the Canadiens and the Boston Bruins, could be considered criminal.

"Many people were questioning the possibility that this gesture might be criminal," prosecutions spokeswoman Martine Berube said of the reasons behind the chief Crown prosecutor's move. "At this moment, we asked to see if there is evidence of a crime being committed, so we are just at the first step."

The check, by Boston Bruins defenceman Zdeno Chara, knocked the 22-year-old Pacioretty unconscious, fractured his fourth cerebral vertebra and resulted in a severe concussion. He remained in hospital Thursday morning.

Chara's checked Pacioretty into the stanchion, which divides the players' benches, a brutal high-speed collision that saw the Canadiens' player's body twist then crumple to the ice. Images of the hit have replayed constantly since Tuesday night on TV sportscasts and news shows.

Montreal police said Thursday that they had received a call from the ministry of public safety and would be investigating the hit.

"We are trying to understand exactly how it is going to happen," said Olivier Lapointe, a spokesman for the Montreal police.

The director of criminal and penal prosecution wasn't the only person calling for an investigation.

Police in Montreal said they received several 911 calls from the public demanding an investigation into the hit.

While there has been no indication of charges yet in the incident, there is legal precedent for charges stemming on-ice actions in the NHL.

Former Boston Bruins player Marty McSorley was criminally charged and eventually convicted of assault with a weapon after using his stick to club the Vancouver Canucks' Donald Brashear in the side of his head in 2000. He was given a conditional discharge, meaning he has no criminal record.

Also in Vancouver, Todd Bertuzzi, a Canucks forward, pleaded guilty to assault in 2004. Bertuzzi was criminally charged after he high-profile on-ice sucker-punch of Steven Moore of the Colorado Avalanche.

Moore suffered three broken vertebrae in his neck and a concussion. He has not played hockey since and has launched a civil suit against Bertuzzi and the Vancouver Canucks, which has yet to go to trial.

There is also a precedent for criminal charges being laid in connection with traumatic injuries sustained on the ice in Quebec. Last October, former Quebec Major Junior Hockey League forward Patrice Cormier pleaded guilty to a charge of assault causing bodily harm and received an unconditional discharge after delivering a vicious hit to the head of Quebec Remparts defenceman Mikael Tam. Tam suffered brain trauma.

It was the same sentence handed down to son of former Montreal Canadiens goaltender Patrick Roy, Jonathan Roy, who pleaded guilty to an assault charge in 2009 after pounding rival goalie Bobby Nadeau during a hockey brawl in March 2008.

rlindell@postmedia.com

Read more: http://www.canada.com/news/Quebec+police+p...l#ixzz1GDmF55l8

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree with Der Trom. I would go so far as to agree with no fine or suspension. Chara was looking up ice and it was a clean shoulder to shoulder hit into the boards. if it happens 5 feet further up the ice we arent even talking about it. It was unfortunate but it was unintentional and to call it criminal is ludicrous. I do hpe Peccioretty makes a full recovery.

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Mar 11 2011, 06:16 PM)
Just remember Der Trommler not everyone from Montreal is an a-hole - bekloppt.gif laugh.gif

Alph, you reminded me that. I try not to post an 'all' for Quebec. I usually use a most instead. I don't want to label that all Montreal fans are such. Sometimes, it seems that way. You know, watching the games and hearing all the craze. I do feel better that there are Montreal fans who believe as I do. Had this been reversed, I would be thinking the same as I do now. ;-)

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Mar 11 2011, 05:39 PM)
QUOTE (alphseeker @ Mar 11 2011, 06:16 PM)
Just remember Der Trommler not everyone from Montreal is an a-hole -  bekloppt.gif laugh.gif

Alph, you reminded me that. I try not to post an 'all' for Quebec. I usually use a most instead. I don't want to label that all Montreal fans are such. Sometimes, it seems that way. You know, watching the games and hearing all the craze. I do feel better that there are Montreal fans who believe as I do. Had this been reversed, I would be thinking the same as I do now. ;-)

The funny thing is when I go to the pond or staples center and wear my habs jersey it seems like there is a mutual respect between Habs fans and the kings and ducks fAns. And it's amazing how many Habs fans there are in So Cal. But we're decent out here.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Mar 12 2011, 08:34 AM)
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=357604

Does Montreal need tourists or something? Oh wait, they do. They have an ad on Versus all the time. Apparently, they figure they can make headlines more each time another Canadien link writes something about the Chara incident.

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Mar 12 2011, 02:09 PM)

Does Montreal need tourists or something? Oh wait, they do. They have an ad on Versus all the time. Apparently, they figure they can make headlines more each time another Canadien link writes something about the Chara incident.

You keep on bashing Montreal! This article is about Canadian national companies who are sponsors of the NHL and their views on the subject.

We get the fact that you hate Montreal but hate mongering does not benefit anyone!

Also, check this out if Montreal is so Horrible!

NHL Player's Poll

Edited by snowdogged

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Mar 12 2011, 04:12 PM)

You keep on bashing Montreal! This article is about Canadian national companies who are sponsors of the NHL and their views on the subject.

We get the fact that you hate Montreal but hate mongering does not benefit anyone!

NHL Player's Poll

There's nothing there except asking about what place to play in.

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Mar 12 2011, 04:09 PM)
QUOTE (snowdogged @ Mar 12 2011, 04:12 PM)

NHL Player's Poll

There's nothing there except asking about what place to play in.

It's a poll that was taken during the All-Star break of what venue NHL players like to play in the most and Montreal was no.1 with 40% followed by New York at 9%.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Mar 12 2011, 05:49 PM)
This debate is gay, either suspend him or let someone slash his head off next time... time to move on.

Why is it time to move on? This is still a big story in the news! This is just a thread to update any changes in the status of the situation. There's a fine line between moderation and dictation!

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Mar 12 2011, 07:52 PM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Mar 12 2011, 05:49 PM)
This debate is gay, either suspend him or let someone slash his head off next time...  time to move on.

Why is it time to move on? This is still a big story in the news! This is just a thread to update any changes in the status of the situation. There's a fine line between moderation and dictation!

The story is big, however the debate weather it is actually a dirty play is completely pointless, IMO. Sorry I wasn't clear about it.

I'm not moderating that point, just stating my opinion on it. If you guys still want to debate it, completely fine by me.