'supermoon' next week to disrupt Earth's weather?

treeduck

Could 'supermoon' next week disrupt Earth's weather?

Moon comes at its closest approach for 19 years

By DAVID DERBYSHIRE

Last updated at 3:25 PM on 9th March 2011

It doesn't take much to get the Internet's lunar-tics out in force.

The web was yesterday awash with apocalyptic warnings that the movement of the moon will trigger tidal waves, volcanic eruptions and even earthquakes next week.

The conspiracy theorists claim that on March 19, the moon will be closer to Earth than at any time since 1992 - just 221,567 miles away - and that its gravitational pull will bring chaos to Earth.

However, astronomers have dismissed the claims as pure nonsense.

The bizarre rumours centre on a phenomenon called the 'lunar perigee'.

The moon's orbit around Earth is not a circle, but an eclipse. At its closest approach - the perigee - the moon appears brighter and larger in the sky. When it is furthest away - the apogee - it is smaller and dimmer.

A lunar perigee occurs once a month. However, next week's perigee coincides with a full moon - a combination of events that happen just once every two or three years.

Although it makes a good photo opportunity for astronomers, scientists say it has no impact on Earth.

Dr David Harland, space historian and author, said: 'It's possible that the moon may be a kilometre or two closer to Earth than normal at a perigee, but it's an utterly insignificant event. '

But the Internet is awash with conspiracy-minded amateur scientists warning that such a 'supermoon' could disrupt Earth's climate patterns and may even cause earthquakes and volcanic activity.

Previous supermoons took place in 1955, 1974, 1992 and 2005 - all years that had extreme weather events, the conspiracy theorists say.

The tsunami that killed hundreds of thousands of people in Indonesia happened two weeks before the January 2005 supermoon. And on Christmas Day 1974, Cyclone Tracy laid waste to Darwin, Australia.

But Pete Wheeler of the International Centre for Radio Astronomy greeted warnings of an impending apocalypse with scepticism.

'There will be no earthquakes or volcanoes erupting, unless they are to happen anyway,' he told news.com.au.

'Earth will experience just a lower than usual low tide and a higher than usual high tide around the time of the event, but nothing to get excited about.'

Australian astronomer David Reneke agreed, pointing out that conspiracy theorists will always be able to find a natural disaster to link to a certain time and blame it on a supermoon.

'If you try hard enough you can chronologically associate almost any natural disaster or event to anything in the night sky - comet, planet, sun,' he said.

'Remember in the past, planetary alignments were going to pull the sun apart. It didn't happen. Astrologers draw a very long bow most times.

'Normal king tides are about all I would expect out of this supermoon prediction.'

During a full moon, the sun and the moon are pulling on Earth from opposite sides - making the chances of any dramatic tidal events unlikely.

On average the moon is 235,000 miles away. At its furthest it is 248,000 miles away.

During a lunar perigee and full moon, the lunar surface can appear up to 14 per cent bigger and 30 per cent brighter than other full moons.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/art...l#ixzz1GBWie2im

When you said supermoon I thought you meant this

http://img46.imagevenue.com/aAfkjfp01fo1i-2281/loc1163/88631_122_122_1163lo.jpg

Sorry I misunderstood

wink.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 10 2011, 01:17 PM)
This means, on March 19th, the cow won't have as far to jump.

Moo.

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 11 2011, 04:03 PM)
Big Earthquake in Japan and Tsunami warning in effect across the pacific...

The supermoon strikes early!!

ohmy.gif

Aye...the 'ol massive earthquake/tsunami combo yet again. With this superbadass moon, I may be "going werewolf" sooner than I expected

trink38.gif

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Mar 11 2011, 02:22 AM)
The whole coastline is taking a massive hit, Tsunami warnings are being issued up and down the coast. This event and the damage it's causing is going to have repercussions world wide.

It could hit the west Coast of America, in around 9 hours time...no bullshit...

ohmy.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Mar 11 2011, 02:14 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 11 2011, 04:03 PM)
Big Earthquake in Japan and Tsunami warning in effect across the pacific...

The supermoon strikes early!!

ohmy.gif

Aye...the 'ol massive earthquake/tsunami combo yet again. With this superbadass moon, I may be "going werewolf" sooner than I expected

trink38.gif

Aye...

ohmy.gif

trink38.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 10 2011, 11:45 PM)
QUOTE (Drumnut @ Mar 11 2011, 02:22 AM)
The whole coastline is taking a massive hit, Tsunami warnings are being issued up and down the coast. This event and the damage it's causing is going to have repercussions world wide.

It could hit the west Coast of America, in around 9 hours time...no bullshit...

ohmy.gif

Yep. Tsunami watch for west coast of North America.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 10 2011, 01:52 AM)

By DAVID DERBYSHIRE

The web was yesterday awash with apocalyptic warnings that the movement of the moon will trigger tidal waves, volcanic eruptions and even earthquakes next week.

The conspiracy theorists claim that on March 19, the moon will be closer to Earth than at any time since 1992 - just 221,567 miles away - and that its gravitational pull will bring chaos to Earth.

The moon's orbit around Earth is not a circle, but an eclipse. At its closest approach - the perigee - the moon appears brighter and larger in the sky. When it is furthest away - the apogee - it is smaller and dimmer.

A lunar perigee occurs once a month. However, next week's perigee coincides with a full moon - a combination of events that happen just once every two or three years.

Although it makes a good photo opportunity for astronomers, scientists say it has no impact on Earth.

Dr David Harland, space historian and author, said: 'It's possible that the moon may be a kilometre or two closer to Earth than normal at a perigee, but it's an utterly insignificant event. '
But the Internet is awash with conspiracy-minded amateur scientists warning that such a 'supermoon' could disrupt Earth's climate patterns and may even cause earthquakes and volcanic activity.

Previous supermoons took place in 1955, 1974, 1992 and 2005 - all years that had extreme weather events, the conspiracy theorists say.

The tsunami that killed hundreds of thousands of people in Indonesia happened two weeks before the January 2005 supermoon. And on Christmas Day 1974, Cyclone Tracy laid waste to Darwin, Australia.

But Pete Wheeler of the International Centre for Radio Astronomy greeted warnings of an impending apocalypse with scepticism.

'There will be no earthquakes or volcanoes erupting, unless they are to happen anyway,' he told news.com.au.

'Earth will experience just a lower than usual low tide and a higher than usual high tide around the time of the event, but nothing to get excited about.'

Australian astronomer David Reneke agreed, pointing out that conspiracy theorists will always be able to find a natural disaster to link to a certain time and blame it on a supermoon.

'If you try hard enough you can chronologically associate almost any natural disaster or event to anything in the night sky - comet, planet, sun,' he said.

'Remember in the past, planetary alignments were going to pull the sun apart. It didn't happen. Astrologers draw a very long bow most times.

'Normal king tides are about all I would expect out of this supermoon prediction.'
During a full moon, the sun and the moon are pulling on Earth from opposite sides - making the chances of any dramatic tidal events unlikely.

On average the moon is 235,000 miles away. At its furthest it is 248,000 miles away.
During a lunar perigee and full moon, the lunar surface can appear up to 14 per cent bigger and 30 per cent brighter than other full moons.

Ummmm, Pat I think it has already started!

Turn on the news when you wake up!

I can't sleep!!

Fukking earthquakes and a tsunami have hit Japan!!

Is it 2012 yet?

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Mar 11 2011, 06:07 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 10 2011, 01:52 AM)

By DAVID DERBYSHIRE

The web was yesterday awash with apocalyptic warnings that the movement of the  moon will trigger tidal waves, volcanic eruptions and even earthquakes next week.

Ummmm, Pat I think it has already started!

Turn on the news when you wake up!

I can't sleep!!

Fukking earthquakes and a tsunami have hit Japan!!

Is it 2012 yet?

Yeah I saw it on the news as it happened Earl

ohmy.gif

2012 is just the beginning!

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

laugh.gif "the conspiracy theorists say" unsure.gif

do "the conspiracy theorists" have a theory that the moon is conspiring against us? with whom, i wonder confused13.gif

and when did conspiracy theory gain its own recognized group?

The Conspiracy Theorists biggrin.gif

and, more importantly, how do i sign up? tongue.gif

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Mar 11 2011, 04:10 PM)
laugh.gif "the conspiracy theorists say" unsure.gif

do "the conspiracy theorists" have a theory that the moon is conspiring against us? with whom, i wonder confused13.gif

The Conspiracy Theorists biggrin.gif
and, more importantly, how do i sign up? tongue.gif

The Conspiracy Theorists are a band, so you have to be able to sing or play an instrument.

QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 11 2011, 03:12 PM)
QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Mar 11 2011, 04:10 PM)
laugh.gif  "the conspiracy theorists say"  unsure.gif

do "the conspiracy theorists" have a theory that the moon is conspiring against us?  with whom, i wonder  confused13.gif

The Conspiracy Theorists  biggrin.gif
and, more importantly, how do i sign up?  tongue.gif

The Conspiracy Theorists are a band, so you have to be able to sing or play an instrument.

I can dance...

common001.gif

The moon's orbit around Earth is not a circle, but an eclipse.

It's not an eclipse, but an ellipse.

Archived