Terrible Neil Peart lyrics?

StellarJetman

i think that neil is overrated as a wordsmith and that a lot of his lyrics are pompous, self-important and faux deep. but i appreciate him for trying to write creatively about many different subjects and not just throwing together simplistic rhymes, and i think that his overreaching as a lyricist has challenged geddy and alex musically in a very positive way. once in a while he really hits it, most of the rest is basically serviceable and that's all you can ask of anyone. it's all rush and it's all good even though i never listen to about half the catalog. Edited by Anthemic
  • Like 2

There's 11 pages in a thread that could be summed up in the three words "Half the World".

Compared to that, Dog Years is a Shakespearean sonnet.

• Like 1

There's 11 pages in a thread that could be summed up in the three words "Half the World".

Compared to that, Dog Years is a Shakespearean sonnet.

I wouldn't go that far but I hear you. At least Dog Years TRIES to be humorous. Half The World sounds like a grocery list:

- carrots

- butter

- two loaves of bread

- half a gallon of milk

- half a pound of ham

- half a pound of pastrami

- half the world lives

- half the world cries

• Like 2

Lyrically T4E is one of Neils worst, but I find the album raw and direct and I love most of it.

Beautifully produced.

From it, Time and Motion is my favorite track.

• Like 2

i think that neil is overrated as a wordsmith and that a lot of his lyrics are pompous, self-important and faux deep. but i appreciate him for trying to write creatively about many different subjects and not just throwing together simplistic rhymes, and i think that his overreaching as a lyricist has challenged geddy and alex musically in a very positive way. once in a while he really hits it, most of the rest is basically serviceable and that's all you can ask of anyone. it's all rush and it's all good even though i never listen to about half the catalog.

Excellent post!

Silence shrouds the forrest..as the birds announce the dawn.. WTF? ?

Have you no romance in your soul? ;)

Or is it that you are just not in tune with nature? Hmm? I thought you were one with the cosmos. :)

Edited by Lorraine

i think that neil is overrated as a wordsmith and that a lot of his lyrics are pompous, self-important and faux deep. but i appreciate him for trying to write creatively about many different subjects and not just throwing together simplistic rhymes, and i think that his overreaching as a lyricist has challenged geddy and alex musically in a very positive way. once in a while he really hits it, most of the rest is basically serviceable and that's all you can ask of anyone. it's all rush and it's all good even though i never listen to about half the catalog.

s

That seems a little harsh all things considered. The main stick I would throw at him is he took a lot of his ideas pretty directly from his reading but that may have led a lot us to some good books. I think his most impressive word smithing is the words of the profits... riff on the Simon and garfunkel song. Clever and well done.

I've always regarded him as a hit or miss wordsmith.

When he gets it wrong, oh dear.....

But at the same time he is responsible for some of the most inspired lyrics I have ever heard...

True, there are better and more consistent lyricists out there, but I reckon he holds his own.

• Like 1

In a dog's life

A year is really more like seven

And all too soon a canine

Will be chasing cars in doggie heaven

It seems to me

As we make our own few circles 'round the sun

We get it backwards

And our seven years go by like one

Dog years -- It's the season of the itch

Dog years -- With every scratch it reappears

In the dog days

People look to Sirius

Dogs cry for the moon

But these connections are mysterious

It seems to me

While it's true that every dog will have his day

When all the bones are buried

There is barely time to go outside and play

Dog years -- It's the season of the itch

Dog years -- With every scratch it reappears

Dog years -- For every sad son of a bitch

Dog years -- With his tail between his ears

I'd rather be a tortoise from Galapagos

Or a span of geological time

Than be living in these dog years

In a dog's brain

A constant buzz of low-level static

One sniff at the hydrant

And the answer is automatic

It seems to me

As well make our own few circles 'round the block

We've lost our senses

For the higher-level static of talk

Love these lyrics! Maybe one has to love dogs to appreciate the lyrics?? I think they are a really cool way of describing the life of a dog.

• Like 1

I disagree very much with your opinion. I can imagine that his lyrics seem the way you describe them to others who are also pompous, self-important and faux deep. Sort of like jealousy.

He provides the listener with much more than the goofy, meaningless lyrics that most bands write. He makes the listener think and actually learn something while listening.

I learned what the word "cacophony" meant while listening to Bastille Day almost 40 years ago!! And i still use it and baffle others who have no idea what it means!! :)

Ah common all please.

Neil writes from the heart and is genuine. At least he is honest, yes some of his words are maybe a bit cheesy but better to be honest I believe.

Would you prefer Johhny Rotten?????

"I am an the Anti Christ, I am an a anarchist!!!!"

"God save the Queen, the fascist regime"

Then the f***ing c*** grows up slightly and does butter adverts and takes a big payday!!!!

What a total little wanking bullshitting talentless f***ing scrote!!!!!!!

At least Neil and the band have always stuck by their beliefs, unlike the shitty talentless punk rock bands!

END OF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Ah common all please.

Neil writes from the heart and is genuine. At least he is honest, yes some of his words are maybe a bit cheesy but better to be honest I believe.

Then the f***ing c*** grows up slightly and does butter adverts and takes a big payday!!!!

At least Neil and the band have always stuck by their beliefs, unlike the shitty talentless punk rock bands!

END OF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAHAHA!!!

Really Steve??

I'm shocked!!!!

IT'S JUST ART!

Neil is the biggest mentor and influence in my life lyrically and drumming wise.

But to rip Johnny Rotten??? WOW!

NEVER MIND THE BOLLOCKS!

FUKK ME!

THE SEX PISTOLS RULED!

Where would PUNK be without them? I suppose you think SID is a talentless heroin junky hack!

BOLLOCKS!

I LOVE PIL!

I saw them live once! The band Live opened for them!

John Lydon is TALENT!

And I'm the one labeled insane and crazy? Egoist drug addict manic? LOL!

I love this FORUM.

I will never leave. You haters better get a petition together and tell your Admins to ban me.

That's the only way I will ever leave.

"COMPACT DISC" by PIL is one of the greatest albums ever made with Steve Vai on guitar! Are you that naive and uneducated about music?

I love taking risks.

Come after me.

Bully me.

Bury me.

I will will just fine.

I can't wait to visit England!

I can't wait to spend my hard earned money in your great country.

Love your opinion.

Opinions are like assholes.

Everybody has one!!!

I respect your hatred for the Sex Pistols but this American Wanker LOVES THEM!

"FUCKK THIS FUCKK THAT FUCKK IT ALL FUCKKER YA FUCKKING BRAT! SHE DON'T WANT A BABY THAT LOOKS LIKE THAT!"

CLASSIC PUNK!!!!!!!!!

MASTERPIECE!!

• Like 2

Ah common all please.

END OF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAHAHA!!!

Really Steve??

I'm shocked!!!!

IT'S JUST ART!

Neil is the biggest mentor and influence in my life lyrically and drumming wise.

But to rip Johnny Rotten??? WOW!

NEVER MIND THE BOLLOCKS!

FUKK ME!

THE SEX PISTOLS RULED!

Where would PUNK be without them? I suppose you think SID is a talentless heroin junky hack!

BOLLOCKS!

Actually...he was. poor kid ;/

• Like 1

John Lydon made Metal Box. The Clash made London Calling.

/mic drop

Holy Shit! DD!

Timing is everything!

I just found the new PILL METAL BOX limited edition with four cds! Demos. live tracks! Poster cards inside! It's a beautiful reissue!!!

80 USD.

It's a thing of beauty.

I loved "This Is Not A Love Song" when I was in high school!!!

Forget lame ass Peart lyrics!!!!

PIL RULES!

• Like 1

OK maybe you have your opinion

So who am I to say it is wrong

In a different mood I may agree, they did change things a bit

But the Pistols were no more of a marketing tool for MacLaren and Westwood in my opinion

Just my opinion

Elvis Costello, The Clash, The Stranglers, etc were more important and relevant artists in that genre and era in my humble opinion.

Sorry about the rant, I just find Lydon and co bit of hypocrites who have sold out

Just my opinion

Thanks

Steve

• Like 1