Greatest book you've ever read?

Good,bad,andrush

Lord of the Rings Trilogy/Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien,The Fountainhead - Ayn Rand,We The Living - Ayn Rand,1984-George Orwell, The Stand-Stephen King, Salem's Lot-Stephen King, Bloodstone-Karl Earl Wagner( Part of the Kane series)

Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson. A great book about some New Jersey and New York wreck divers trying to figure out what old German submarine they just found.

(it's also cool because I've met the author, the two principle characters, and a few of the other people named in the book.)

Catch 22 - Joseph Heller

Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole

Portrait of the Artist As A Young Man - James Joyce

Nice collection! :cheers:

Have you read Joyce's "Dubliners"? A great collection of short stories.

The best books I've read:

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller Fantastic satire for anyone who's been a cog in a senseless machine.

Motherless Brooklyn by Jonathan Lethem Exceptionally meaningful to me personally.

The Hominids trilogy by Robert Sawyer My favorite living SF writer. Could have picked almost anything, but this suited my Anthropology background.

Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks Painfully obvious ripoff of Tolkien. But I didn't know that when I was 12, and it directly inspired my Fantasy world building and I wouldn't be the same without it. Thankfully he settled into his own voice with some great original works later on.

Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut Could have chose others, but Bokononism has remained a favorite religion of mine ever since.

Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami Brilliant writer, probably my favorite living writer.

Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson My first favorite book.

Inferno by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle Great revisiting of Dante

When Gravity Fails by George Alec Effinger Cyber to make Gibson only wish.

Dispossessed by Ursula K. LeGuin Anarchy!

Subterranean by James Rollins Nothing hard here. Just great escapism.

The Man Who Folded Himself by David Gerrold Time travel, introspection, and self obsession

To Your Scattered Bodies Go by Philip Jose Farmer Afterlife and history jumble all in one.

American Gods by Neil Gaiman He could write a grocery list I'd end up putting on this list.

Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren Satire, social criticism, and perhaps even feminism all enshrined in a quirky kid.

Magician by Raymond Feist A longtime favorite fantasy author of mine.

Okay, this is getting ridiculous.

Others:

Drowned World - J.G. Ballard

Journey to the Centre of the Earth - Jules Verne

Imaginary Friends - ALison Lurie

A Door Into Ocean - Joan Slonczewski

Jhereg - Steven Brust

LOTR - Tolkien

Glory Lane - Alan Dean Foster

Shockwave Rider - John Brunner

Tripod Trilogy - John Christopher

All My Sins Remembered - Joe Haldeman

Kiln People - David Brin

Hitchhiker books - Douglas Adams

And more....

This perhaps should have been edited.

• Like 2

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller Fantastic satire for anyone who's been a cog in a senseless machine.

Motherless Brooklyn by Jonathan Lethem Exceptionally meaningful to me personally.

The Hominids trilogy by Robert Sawyer My favorite living SF writer. Could have picked almost anything, but this suited my Anthropology background.

Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks Painfully obvious ripoff of Tolkien. But I didn't know that when I was 12, and it directly inspired my Fantasy world building and I wouldn't be the same without it. Thankfully he settled into his own voice with some great original works later on.

Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut Could have chose others, but Bokononism has remained a favorite religion of mine ever since.

Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami Brilliant writer, probably my favorite living writer.

The Man Who Folded Himself by David Gerrold Time travel, introspection, and self obsession

To Your Scattered Bodies Go by Philip Jose Farmer Afterlife and history jumble all in one.

American Gods by Neil Gaiman He could write a grocery list I'd end up putting on this list.

Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren Satire, social criticism, and perhaps even feminism all enshrined in a quirky kid.

Others:

Jhereg - Steven Brust

LOTR - Tolkien

Kiln People - David Brin

And more....

Mosher, I see Subterranean on your list .. I went thru a hollow Earth / lost civilization phase after I read Edward Bulwer-Lytton's "Vril"

So you'd recommend Subterranean ?? ... I've got it on my Amazon wish list

Others:

Jhereg - Steven Brust

LOTR - Tolkien

Kiln People - David Brin

And more....

Mosher, I see Subterranean on your list .. I went thru a hollow Earth / lost civilization phase after I read Edward Bulwer-Lytton's "Vril"

I have really enjoyed every book James Rollins wrote, and that's the first one.

He typically takes some historical mystery or rumor and then places people at odds over the discovery/use/possession of some tech/artifact/information.

I like his books an awful lot. Not remotely highbrow, but an awful lot of fun, thrills, and derring-do. :)

Edited by Mosher
  • Like 1

Others:

Jhereg - Steven Brust

LOTR - Tolkien

Kiln People - David Brin

And more....

He typically takes some historical mystery or rumor and then places people at odds over the discovery/use/possession of some tech/artifact/information.

I like his books an awful lot. Not remotely highbrow, but an awful lot of fun, thrills, and daring-do. :)

.. just ordered it

:LOL:

Others:

Jhereg - Steven Brust

LOTR - Tolkien

Kiln People - David Brin

And more....

I like his books an awful lot. Not remotely highbrow, but an awful lot of fun, thrills, and daring-do. :)

.. just ordered it

:LOL:

If you like it he's been quite prolific since.

He has a couple others that fit the lost-world idea, but not all of them do.

• Like 1

Sorry that was flippant of me. My silly attempt of humour

Victor Hugo's "Hunchback" novel is deeply powerful and affected me a lot when I read it as a mid teen. So many analogies with the human mind and sprit and emotion.

I also have the complete George Orwell anthology in a very nice leather bound book that my parents bought me as a present for my 18th birthday. It is kept in perfect condition and maybe quite rare now.

The Viz annual 2003 - the "Rusty Sheriff's Badge". all of the great icons in it - Johnny Fartpants, Sid the Sexist, Roger Melly the man on the Telly, Nobbie's piles,

A coming together of icons

Talk about synchronicity

I was just looking over some viz comics, happy memories. Hardly the best book I have ever read, but hilarious non the less.

Remember wavey davey gravey ?( if memory serves)

And the ads?

http://i68.tinypic.com/atjr6.png

• Like 1

The Viz annual 2003 - the "Rusty Sheriff's Badge". all of the great icons in it - Johnny Fartpants, Sid the Sexist, Roger Melly the man on the Telly, Nobbie's piles,

A coming together of icons

Talk about synchronicity

I was just looking over some viz comics, happy memories. Hardly the best book I have ever read, but hilarious non the less.

Remember wavey davey gravey ?( if memory serves)

And the ads?

http://i68.tinypic.com/atjr6.png

Yes it was just a "middle finger" to the establishment. A kind of "Punk Rock" publication. Very Juvenile and "fart joke" humour but something that was beautifully subversive yet had a level of "cynical intelligence2 in the early days.

The publication was debated in the House of Lords where one of their members stood up and said that "this filth should not be allowed to be sold to children or call itself a comic".

In the next issue the Editors Chris and Simon Donald (from my city) changed the name to "Viz Bomic" and entered a disclaimer at the bottom of the cover page.

"Not suitable for children, old farts or self appointed guardians of public morals"

How wonderful and beautifully subversive!!! ha ha

A Tale Of Two Cities (Charles Dickens)

Harry Potter (J.K. Rowling)

Memory, Sorrow And Thorn (Tad Williams)

The Farseer Trilogy (Robin Hobb)

The War Of The Worlds (H.G. Wells)

The Lord Of The Rings (J.R.R. Tolkien)

Never Let Me Go (Kazuo Ishiguro)

The Stand (Stephen King)- I have forgotten this book at this point so I hope to read it again soon!

• Like 2

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/24/Go_Dog_Go.jpg

My sister and I loved this so much! Still do. We loved the page where all the dogs are asleep together, heads on pillows in a huge human bed. It looked like the best slumber party ever!

• Like 1

My sister and I loved this so much! Still do. We loved the page where all the dogs are asleep together, heads on pillows in a huge human bed. It looked like the best slumber party ever!

http://www.joeslab.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/go-dogs-go.jpg
  • Like 3

Sorry I forgot to include - Buster Gonad and his unfeasibly large testicles

I've only seen the film adaptation, haven't read the book yet

Cool Lucas

Well the boy Buster gets struck in a freak storm which makes his plums grow to enormous proportions. After that the plot is all about jolly japes that his oversized Gonads get him into trouble. It is a sensitive piece about life, emotion, the human spirit and the dark side. It has so many levels

http://www.joeslab.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/go-dogs-go.jpg

:heart: :heart: :heart:

• Like 2