Greatest book you've ever read?

Good,bad,andrush

read my first cormac mccarthy book recently, no country for old men. not the greatest book I've ever read but easily the best book I've read in a long f***ing time

i hope it was better than the movie - didn't like it and thought it was ridiculously overrated.

it was better, although you wouldnt like the book either. it's got violence, and that's a downer, man.

i don't care about violence, but the movie just seemed so pointless. bad man kills people. big chase scenes. sheriff mumbles unintelligible nonsense. the end. i don't even know how that movie got good reviews, much less won best picture. worst best picture since unforgiven.

Edited by rushgoober

Hard to choose just one! LOTR of course but a stand alone by Guy Gavriel Kay is wonderful, The Lions of Al-Rassan. Have read it multiple times and it is fantastic (an alternate type of fantasy world, think of spain at the time of El Cid). For non-fiction Unbroken by Hillenbrand, one man's survival in the face of the brutality of WW II. Edited by Rhyta

it was better, although you wouldnt like the book either. it's got violence, and that's a downer, man.

i don't care about violence, but the movie just seemed so pointless. bad man kills people. big chase scenes. sheriff mumbles unintelligible nonsense. the end. i don't even know how that movie got good reviews, much less won best picture. worst best picture since unforgiven.

although I haven't seen the movie since it came out (what, 2007? 2008?) things like themes and actual points are a lot easier to spot when you're reading the book and get to see in everyone's mind, as opposed to just watching shit happen on screen

read my first cormac mccarthy book recently, no country for old men. not the greatest book I've ever read but easily the best book I've read in a long f***ing time

Try this one. It's an SOCN favorite. :rfl:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0c/SeanHannity_ConservativeVictory_Cover_lowres.jpg

• Like 1

although I haven't seen the movie since it came out (what, 2007? 2008?) things like themes and actual points are a lot easier to spot when you're reading the book and get to see in everyone's mind, as opposed to just watching shit happen on screen

understood. it's rare that a movie based on a book approaches the quality of the book.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0c/SeanHannity_ConservativeVictory_Cover_lowres.jpg

wow, i DO hope you're joking. :unsure:

• Like 1

:laughing guy: save it for the political books thread in SOCN...might get too heated in here

unfortunately not, it's required reading for all SOCN members!

understood. it's rare that a movie based on a book approaches the quality of the book.

especially with movies now, they too often try to make a blockbuster out of a piece of work where a blockbuster simply isn't there.

inside joke between me and bathory...

• Like 2

I don't think that I could ever single out just one book as the greatest but here are some of my favourites;

The Prestige - Christopher Priest

Something Wicked This way Comes - Ray Bradbury

Weaveworld - Clive Barker

American Gods - Neil Gaiman

The Amber Spyglass - Philip Pullman (I know it's aimed at kids but I still thought that it was a great read - In fact the whole His Dark Martierials trilogy is fantastic).

• Like 1

A Tale Of Two Cities- Charles Dickens

Revolutionary Road- Richard Yates

The Island Of Dr. Moreau- H.G. Wells

War Of The Worlds- H.G. Wells

Never Let Me Go- name escapes me

Cloud Atlas- David Mitchell

Hhhmmm...more sci-fi than I expected!

• Like 1

Really can't pick just one. Obviously everyone else is having the same problem. Here are some of my favorites. I tend to be a big fan of book series' and several of these are from my childhood.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy

The Jungle Books -I probably read these a hundred times when I was a kid.

The vampire novels by Anne Rice

The Chronicles of Narnia

Ringworld by Larry Niven

The Discworld books by Terry Pratchett

The Incarnations of Immortality books by Piers Anthony

Really can't pick just one. Obviously everyone else is having the same problem. Here are some of my favorites. I tend to be a big fan of book series' and several of these are from my childhood.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy

The Jungle Books - I probably read these a hundred times when I was a kid.

The vampire novels by Anne Rice

The Chronicles of Narnia

Ringworld by Larry Niven

The Discworld books by Terry Pratchett

The Incarnations of Immortality books by Piers Anthony

:haz: :haz: :haz:

• Like 1

I won't call this one of the greatest books I've ever read, because it isn't a novel, it's a book of poetry:

Cotton Candy on a Rainy Day, by Nikki Giovanni

It can be read from cover to cover in about an hour, but good God, it's powerful. I read it for the first time when I was about twenty, I think, and I picked up a first edition of it a couple of years ago.

Edited by Blue J

you mean lunar park? awesome book, have you read his others?

All of them. Bloody Dream Theater album confused me!

haha, I had a feeling that was what did it

I liked all of BEE's books except imperial bedrooms

nice trainspotting quote by the way