Greatest book you've ever read?

Good,bad,andrush

only faulkner I read was the unvanquished, it was pretty good

wanna read more but I'm waitin til I'm older and better at reading

You're waiting to get "better" at reading? And, "older"? Read everything you get your hands on. Novels, mysteries, books about wolves and polar bears, cookbooks, stuff your mom recomends.... Read that shit. A book is a book is a book. Read it. Now. Read books that you hold in your hands that have pages and shit, do that. You won't regret it. Ever.

• Like 1

no I mean I'm 17 and I don't feel like rushing through the sound and the fury, not understanding it, and then bragging to everyone I come into contact with about how I read the sound and the fury and TOTALLY GOT IT to show how I smart I am

I decided a while back I'd never be one of those people who skims through ulysses when they're as old as me and try to act like it's not hard to understand just to seem smart

I definitely challenge myself but I'm just not in the mood for anything too hard on the brain right now since I just recently read a few dostoevsky books

• Like 1

only faulkner I read was the unvanquished, it was pretty good

wanna read more but I'm waitin til I'm older and better at reading

You're waiting to get "better" at reading? And, "older"? Read everything you get your hands on. Novels, mysteries, books about wolves and polar bears, cookbooks, stuff your mom recomends.... Read that shit. A book is a book is a book. Read it. Now. Read books that you hold in your hands that have pages and shit, do that. You won't regret it. Ever.

Read that shit while you shit.

• Like 1

no I mean I'm 17 and I don't feel like rushing through the sound and the fury, not understanding it, and then bragging to everyone I come into contact with about how I read the sound and the fury and TOTALLY GOT IT to show how I smart I am

I decided a while back I'd never be one of those people who skims through ulysses when they're as old as me and try to act like it's not hard to understand just to seem smart

I definitely challenge myself but I'm just not in the mood for anything too hard on the brain right now since I just recently read a few dostoevsky books

Finally! Someone who recognizes the fact that Ulysses is not the lighthearted academic people make it out to be. For the record, I HATE James Joyce. We've had some bad experiences, and they've left permanent scars.

Finally! Someone who recognizes the fact that Ulysses is not the lighthearted academic people make it out to be. For the record, I HATE James Joyce. We've had some bad experiences, and they've left permanent scars.

I'm not saying ulysses is good or bad, I'm just saying I'm gonna wait til I'm a bit smarter before I try and tackle it because there's no point in reading something just to say you've read it. the point of reading is to get something out of what you're reading, and I know too many people who try to read the hard shit at a young age just to say they have

I'm not saying ulysses is good or bad, I'm just saying I'm gonna wait til I'm a bit smarter before I try and tackle it because there's no point in reading something just to say you've read it. the point of reading is to get something out of what you're reading, and I know too many people who try to read the hard shit at a young age just to say they have

Well, I am saying it's bad. If a giant asteroid came and hit the earth and destroyed every copy of Ulysses, it would not be a great loss to the world.

No doubt about it, Faulkner is not easy reading! I read Light In August on my own but the rest of his books I read in college classes. I needed that structure and discussion to fully understand and get through them. Has anyone ever proposed a book club thread here on the site? That would be cool -- choose and read a book together and then read it and discuss it here.
  • Like 1

Well, I am saying it's bad. If a giant asteroid came and hit the earth and destroyed every copy of Ulysses, it would not be a great loss to the world.

well what's so bad about it - the fact that it's hard? I'm not trying to start shit, I'm just wondering why you didn't like it

I'm afraid to ask what you think about Finnegans Wake. :LOL:

no one would ever agree on a book to read - and most people here only seem to read goddamn KISS biographies, so yeah might be hard to do

Hahaha! KISS bios! That's hilarious. I bet we could agree on something. If we did it with some structure and let people nominate books on a certain day or something, and then let everyone who wanted to participate vote on the book, it might work. I've run bunches of book clubs and book groups and there are ways to do it in democratic fashion and still accomplish it. You just need someone to actually run the book club and be responsible about keeping things in line and on schedule.

no one would ever agree on a book to read - and most people here only seem to read goddamn KISS biographies, so yeah might be hard to do

Hahaha! KISS bios! That's hilarious. I bet we could agree on something. If we did it with some structure and let people nominate books on a certain day or something, and then let everyone who wanted to participate vote on the book, it might work. I've run bunches of book clubs and book groups and there are ways to do it in democratic fashion and still accomplish it. You just need someone to actually run the book club and be responsible about keeping things in line and on schedule.

Were any of them on an internet forum?

You aren't a real reader of books until you've chucked a couple about the room.

I've hurled a few. Every time I read 1984 it hits the wall a few seconds after I finish it.

Were any of them on an internet forum?

I'm guessing no