American Idol- anyone?

Running Rebel

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay First round.

1. Lauren Alaina - Any Man of Mine (Shania Twain)

Wish she would have song something different but still a favorite and don't see her going home.

2. Casey Abrams - With a Little Help from My Friends (Joe Cocker)

Casey f**king Abrams

3. Ashthon Jones - When You Tell Me That You Love Me (Diana Ross)

Don't get it. One of the least favorites.

4. Paul McDonald - Come Pick Me Up (Ryan Adams)

Quirky. I think I'd listen to him but have a hard time watching him.

5. Pia Toscano - All By Myself (Celine Dion)

Amazing voice and smoking hot, but still a little disconnect and a tad rehearsed

6. James Durbin - Maybe I'm Amazed (Paul McCartney)

Keeps blowing me away. I didn't think he could really sing but his McCartney last night was probably the best thing done. Judas Priest to McCartney, seriously has some pipes.

7. Haley Reinhart - Blue (LeAnn Rimes)

Cute in a way but don't think that hard core country will go far.

8. Jacob Lusk - I Believe I Can Fly (R. Kelly)

Dude has some pipes but I think he overdid the vibrato and didn't really work for me.

9. Thia Megia - Smile (Michael Jackson)

Amazingly clear voice, but could do better.

10. Stefano Langone - Lately (Stevie Wonder)

Stevie Wonder is usually the kiss of death on this show but he did okay with it. I'm just not a huge fan of this style of music and it seemed a tad broadway.

11. Karen Rodriguez - I Could Fall in Love (Selena)

I was surprised she tooka step back. It just didn't come off that well.

12. Scotty McCreery - The River (Garth Brooks)

I don't know what the judges were listenting to, it was pretty Karaoke and bad.

13. Naima Adedapo - Umbrella (Rihanna)

Needed to breathe. Big potential fell miles short. Pretty bad at times.

QUOTE (Running Rebel @ Mar 10 2011, 10:11 AM)
Okay First round.

Wish she would have song something different but still a favorite and don't see her going home.

Casey f**king Abrams

Don't get it.  One of the least favorites.

Quirky.  I think I'd listen to him but have a hard time watching him.

Amazing voice and smoking hot, but still a little disconnect and a tad rehearsed

Keeps blowing me away.  I didn't think he could really sing but his McCartney last night was probably the best thing done. Judas Priest to McCartney, seriously has some pipes.

Dude has some pipes but I think he overdid the vibrato and didn't really work for me.

Stevie Wonder is usually the kiss of death on this show but he did okay with it.  I'm just not a huge fan of this style of music and it seemed a tad broadway.

I was surprised she tooka step back.  It just didn't come off that well.

Needed to breathe.  Big potential fell miles short.  Pretty bad at times.

Pags - I don't get her. Seemed run-of-the-mill country singing, and nothing that stood out. I have to ask myself, would I have gone to the bathroom when she's onstage or would she have demanded my attention? Answer... bathroom

Casey f**king Abrams

Pags - He's no Joe Cocker. He scared me. Decent voice, but he's trying to make you 'feel' his singing and I'm just not.

Pags - Personally, I love this song and glad she picked it. But, she didn't do a very good job with it. She's a decent singer, but nothing dazzling. She's trying to fit the 'diva' role, and she's just not good enough for that.

Pags - His singing wasn't anything interesting (to me), and his movements on stage looked more like a bad reaction to some medication he may be on. I don't get him, either.

Pags - She has some set of pipes, and is drop dead gorgeous as well. She has the glamor to go with the big voice. I love it. I do agree though - she comes off as a bit too rehearsed and fails to connect with the crowd. She needs to work on that.

Keeps blowing me away. I didn't think he could really sing but his McCartney last night was probably the best thing done. Judas Priest to McCartney, seriously has some pipes.

Pags - This guy kicks my ass. I wish I could sing like that. He's going to big things in this competition.

Pags - BOOOOOORIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNG. A song that subdued really puts the pressure on the singer to bring you in, and she did not! Fail.

Pags - The guy needs to learn that being a wrecking ball with your voice does not equate to great singing. If I had to stare at the back of his big mouth any longer I was going to puke. Killer talent, yes. But it's a weapon that should used for good, and not destruction.

Pags - I love her. She captivates me. Even a simple performance draws me in. No need to knock a wall down in order to come off as great.

Stevie Wonder is usually the kiss of death on this show but he did okay with it. I'm just not a huge fan of this style of music and it seemed a tad broadway.

Pags - He'll wind up on broadway.

Pags - She should be ashamed. It's so obvious how she's trying to suck up to Lopez and it's not even working. J-Lo didn't like it. What now?

Pags - I agree - I don't get what the judges ever heard with this guy. He sounds like a decent copy to some well known deep-voiced country singers, but so what? Country music already has those people. What is this guy bringing to the table that's original and good? I don't get it.

Pags - I may be in the minority of people who totally freaking love her. But i do. I totally freaking love her. I really, really, really totally freaking love her. She's probably my favorite. She kicked ass last night, and every other time she's opened her mouth. There something about her that grabs an audiences attention, and it works on me every time. By the way... I totally freaking love her.

--edited to correct bad spelling.

Edited by Pags

I liked Naima's reggae sequence in Umbrella. I agree with the judges that she should have done the entire song that way.

Thia has great potential - I thought she was going to sing I'll be There, which I think would have blown people away, but she did not...

I don't watch it all the time - my question is do the contestants pick their own songs, or do they have to pick from a list for that week?

James Durbin singing Judas Priest for the first time on American Idol, then slaying Paul McCartney. I'm now rooting for him to take the whole thing.

QUOTE (Running Rebel @ Mar 10 2011, 10:11 AM)
Okay First round.

Casey f**king Abrams

Don't get it.  One of the least favorites.

Quirky.  I think I'd listen to him but have a hard time watching him.

Keeps blowing me away.  I didn't think he could really sing but his McCartney last night was probably the best thing done. Judas Priest to McCartney, seriously has some pipes.

Stevie Wonder is usually the kiss of death on this show but he did okay with it.  I'm just not a huge fan of this style of music and it seemed a tad broadway.

I was surprised she tooka step back.  It just didn't come off that well.

Needed to breathe.  Big potential fell miles short.  Pretty bad at times.

Pags - I don't get her. Seemed run-of-the-mill country singing, and nothing that stood out. I have to ask myself, would I have gone to the bathroom when she's onstage or would she have demanded my attention? Answer... bathroom

Queen-Who?

Casey f**king Abrams

Pags - He's no Joe Cocker. He scared me. Decent voice, but he's trying to make you 'feel' his singing and I'm just not.

Queen-Pags, I dont know what you were listening to, but I was TOTALLY feeling it! LOVE this guy!

Pags - Personally, I love this song and glad she picked it. But, she didn't do a very good job with it. She's a decent singer, but nothing dazzling. She's trying to fit the 'diva' role, and she's just not good enough for that.

Queen--oooh bad, bad bad bad

Pags - His singing wasn't anything interesting (to me), and his movements on stage looked more like a bad reaction to some medication he may be on. I don't get him, either.

Queen-He intrigues me...dark horse methinks.

Pags - She has some set of pipes, and is drop dead gorgeous as well. She has the glamor to go with the big voice. I love it. I do agree though - she comes off as a bit too rehearsed and fails to connect with the crowd. She needs to work on that.

Queen-I was disappointed...she was way better last week. This song just needs to drop out of rotation...everywhere. (I love it, but I'm done with it)

Pags - This guy kicks my ass. I wish I could sing like that. He's going to big things in this competition.

Queen-I dig this guy, but tentatively...something's not right, and I cant put my finger on it! He's slayin everything he does, and I am SO rooting for him!!! but I get this weird vibe.

Pags - BOOOOOORIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNG. A song that subdued really puts the pressure on the singer to bring you in, and she did not! Fail.

Queen--See YA! she's got a sweet voice, but Idol she is not.

Pags - The guy needs to learn that being a wrecking ball with your voice does not equate to great singing. If I had to stare at the back of his big mouth any longer I was going to puke. Killer talent, yes. But it's a weapon that should used for good, and not destruction.

Queen-scary. frighteningly bad. You are also a contender to go home.

Pags - I love her. She captivates me. Even a simple performance draws me in. No need to knock a wall down in order to come off as great.

Queen-You lost me at Michael Jackson. lol Nice performance, a bit thin, but she'll stay.

Queen-awful. Dont know why he got a second shot.

Pags - She should be ashamed. It's so obvious how she's trying to suck up to Lopez and it's not even working. J-Lo didn't like it. What now?

Queen-bad. really bad, I felt sorry for her.

Pags - I agree - I don't get what the judges ever heard with this guy. He sounds like a decent copy to some well known deep-voiced country singers, but so what? Country music already has those people. What is this guy bringing to the table that's original and good? I don't get it.

Queen-I like Scotty...just really do! But yeah, he's a one trick pony. No American Idol here either.

Pags - I may be in the minority of people who totally freaking love her. But i do. I totally freaking love her. I really, really, really totally freaking love her. She's probably my favorite. She kicked ass last night, and every other time she's opened her mouth. There something about her that grabs an audiences attention, and it works on me every time. By the way... I totally freaking love her.

Queen-OH do I hate that song! But Naima deserves to stay.

Queen-Who?

Good voice, song did nothing for me.

Casey f**king Abrams

Queen-Pags, I dont know what you were listening to, but I was TOTALLY feeling it! LOVE this guy!

By far my favorite of the night.

She deserves to go home tonight. Decent choice of song but she didn't stand out at all.

J. Lo has never heard of Ryan Adams. That's the takeaway from this one.

Queen-I was disappointed...she was way better last week. This song just needs to drop out of rotation...everywhere. (I love it, but I'm done with it)

You're not going to win me over as a fan by singing Celine Dion, but she's probably the best technical singer in the competition.

Queen-I dig this guy, but tentatively...something's not right, and I cant put my finger on it! He's slayin everything he does, and I am SO rooting for him!!! but I get this weird vibe.

Great job again tonight, but I'd be more impressed if we weren't just two years removed from Adam Lambert.

Bleh.

A Space Jam shoutout on Idol? I'll take it. I thought this was over the top though.

Queen-You lost me at Michael Jackson. lol Nice performance, a bit thin, but she'll stay.

"Charlie Chapman?"

Sang well, but I hated the arrangement.

Didn't like her at all.

Queen-I like Scotty...just really do! But yeah, he's a one trick pony. No American Idol here either.

He did this well, but this is the only thing he does well. I can't wait until he has to sing ABBA or something and the judges see how one-dimensional he is.

I'll give her points for trying something different, but I thought this was a mess.

Queen-Who?

VS - Boring. I don't get her either.

Casey f**king Abrams

VS - I don't get the love for this guy. He shouted half of the song, the same as last week.

VS - I think if she had competed in a previous season, she may have actually done well. With the standouts this year though, she just doesn't make the cut.

VS - Awful. Go home.

VS - Yes she can sing, but she reminds me too much of Katherine McPhee. Both women were great singers, but lacked any emotion when singing.

VS - I love James!! He's scary talented. I can see him easily having a career after Idol.

VS - Oy! Please stop!

VS - I was impressed by Jacob until last night. He went way over the top and was completely out of control with his voice. He needs to watch James Durbin some more.

VS - I don't like her. I think she's way out of her league and needed another year or two.

VS - Stefano's another one like Ashton. Any other year he would have done well. The problem is that the kids that are good this year are GOOD.

VS - schla03.gif

VS - I really dig Scotty. I'm not a country fan at all, in fact my ex loved country and it used to drive me insane. There's something about Scotty though. I could just listen to him all night. I hope he sticks around because I look forward to his performances.

VS - To echo the words of Pags...I freaking love Naima!! She's my favorite of the season, has been from day one. This young woman has something very special. She's pure emotion, raw energy, and can sing like no other!

I agree with the stuff being said about the judges. Didn't know quite what to expect but they're proving to be really good, especially Steven Tyler. He's honest and gives good feedback but is also compassionate. Sure, Cowell was brutal at times (and I think they need that kind of honesty) but it was getting SO old, it needed to change.

Contestants - hmm well I wasn't impressed by last year's lot at all having discovered the perfection that is Adam Lambert the year before during Season 8 (first time I'd watched Idol). This year seem to be more dynamic and talented.

I love Casey, Jacob (wasn't as good last night in the UK verison) and James Durbin - chops to him for singing JP and McCartney. He could be amazing but don't know how far he'll get. Pia is amazing and I love Naima too.

This guy is still the best they've had though wink.gif yes.gif

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a62/ohdani/adam_lambert.jpg

Sorry, we're DVR'ing the show and watching it a couple of days late! My takes:

I thought she was really good. It wasn't my kind of music, but the judges were WAY too harsh with her. She's definitely in the middle of the pack, but not the bottom.

It's Casey or Jacob's competition to lose IMHO (with James Durbin as a dark horse). The guy is stellar. I didn't love it as much as some other performances of him, but some moments of it were crazy good. Casey is what Taylor Hicks should have been.

Hated the song, performance was meh - glad she got the boot.

I still really like this guy, but the song was boring as f*ck. He's a lot better than what he did this week. Ryan Seacrest imitating him was hilarious.

I thought she was one of the best women the previous week, but this week didn't quite make it. She can and will do better.

I don't see him winning this thing, but he'll get way up there, maybe even higher than I think he will. I can see him as the next Chris Daughtry in terms of success. The guy is pretty amazing.

My wife and I LOVED this performance. I thought it was one of the best of the night and Randy unfairly tore her apart. I mean, who else could pull off singing a song like that so effortlessly? I thought it sucked she was in the bottom three.

It wasn't as mindblowing as some of his previous performances, and some moments were only ok, but others were crazy spinetinglingly good. This guy will be in the top two, and could win it all.

Started off STELLAR, and then when the song got more rocking she lost it a bit. Still, arguably the best woman (girl) in the competition if she can keep her control.

My wife and I didn't get this performance AT ALL and were mystified by the judges drooling all over him afterward. I would have been happy to see him go. His sudden death performance last week was great, but he's wildly inconsistent at best.

I thought she was near the top of the pack for the women, but this song was really lacking. Hopefully being in the bottom three will light a fire under her to pick it up.

My wife and I both love this guy. I hate country music, but damn if this kid can sing! I love his deep voice. This guy will be a huge country star even if he finishes in 5th to 7th place (which he probably will, or at least should).

The dancing was pretty killer. I forgot what show I was watching (a pretty neat trick) and thought I was watching a music video. She struggled at times with the singing when she was a bit out of breath, but other parts were really great. Probably the second best female singer next to Thea, and I really hated her first performance the previous week. Now I finally understand why the judges asked her to sing again last week.

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Mar 10 2011, 11:45 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Mar 10 2011, 05:39 PM)
if pia gets eliminated i have no interest in watching it anymore. tongue.gif

I guess you'll be watching for at least another week!

One down...ASHTHON. Later diva!

^^ this

and

whoa...did not know yodeling = sexy

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ Mar 3 2011, 04:24 PM)
The judging isn't the same without Cowell but I don't think it's a coincidence that the standard has improved remarkably this season and there's far more variety in the performers.

This may be the first time we have agreed on anything!!!!!!!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Mar 17 2011, 09:09 AM)
QUOTE (alphseeker @ Mar 17 2011, 12:04 AM)
Casey Abrams did "Smells like teen spirit" -  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif  applaudit.gif

sounded pretty bad imo. the guy is talented and has a strong voice but that was just a terrible song to sing for him.

I liked it, it was radically different from everyone else's performances ohmy.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Mar 17 2011, 09:09 AM)
QUOTE (alphseeker @ Mar 17 2011, 12:04 AM)
Casey Abrams did "Smells like teen spirit" -  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif  applaudit.gif

sounded pretty bad imo. the guy is talented and has a strong voice but that was just a terrible song to sing for him.

No, the voice was horrible and he was borderline schizo but standing there playing that electric bass and screaming dementedly was hilarious - His eyes looked like he was ready to kill someone - All i can say is i enjoy whatever he throws out there strictly for entertainment value -

On a side note that 16 year old Country singer scott is going to be a major country superstar with that voice - it is a classic, infectious voice and i hate country - He may not win idol but he will be successful

I like what Running Rebel did last week with all the singers/review. Does someone have a list of all who sang? Put it up and we'll all put in our take.

Thanks! trink39.gif

Here ya go!

Overall dissapointing night with nothing really standing out. JLo is getting better. ST needs to step more. But overall still okay with the judges especially Jlo who is giving constructive critisizm.

1. Casey Fckn Abrams- I liked it but think if he had more time to finish it, it would have been better. But C'MON- NIRVANA! That was pretty awesome!

2. Jacob Lusk- Heart is so hard to do and though he's got the pipes, it came off as showgirl/gospely kind of thing and just didn't work for me. I don't see how he will translate into a pop singer at all at this point. Okay, I'll say it. It would have been better in drag.

3. Lauren Alaina-still probably my favorite and I think she is going to get better as this goes. Oozes personality and great voice.

4. James Durbin - I don't like Bon Jovi when Bon Jovi sings it, but I think he is showing he has the pipes and stage presence. He's just a doofus at times and seems to be getting a tad pretentious and overconfident.

5. Paul McDonald -Okay, the herky jerky stuff is getting old and the vocals were weak. I picture behind with an instrument and doing something different. That was kind of just weird.

6. Scotty McCreery- I am still trying to lose my disconnect with this nice kid. I have a hard time with a kid singing country about heartbreak and booze when he's never been laid or pissfaced drunk in a bar. It's country for chirssakes. Good voice though.

7. Haley Reinhart- Seems all over the board. I keep rooting for her somewhat but she keeps doing weird jazz twists and odd song choices. I like the Joplin suggestion.

8. Pia Toscano - Pretty amazing voice to do the songs she is and pull it off. I still have a slight problem at times as she seems overly focused on hitting notes versus connecting with the audience and her high end is a tad shrieky but I'm mostly upset about the restraining order she got against me.

9. Naima Adedapo - Ugh. I think there is good voice in there somewhere. We probably won't get a chance to find out though.

10. Thia Megia - C'mon. Let loose some! boriiiiingggg.

11. Karen Rodriguez - Sings better in spanish and I was dissapointed with her again. Hit the notes at the end but the rest was a mess. She's treading water here. Goofy hair and outfit too.

12. Stefano Langone - Probably the biggest surprise of the night. Kid can really sing and seems like a nice enough fella. It's not really my favorite flavor of music but he can pull it off and hit the notes.

Edited by Running Rebel