Rush Workout Songs

Zanadoo

I'm almost positive there's been a thread about this in the past and I tried to look for it but I just couldn't find it. If someone has a link to it, post! But since I don't, what are the best Rush songs to work out to?

Tom Sawyer, spirit of radio, freewill, all the instrumentals, all of s&a, all of vt, animate, dreamline, marathon (if running), time stand still (if running; trust me, it makes the scenery look beautiful), 2112 overture/temples, the first album, anthem, a drum solo, Bastille day, and finally the driving songs, red barchetta and driven.

That's what's on my exercise playlist, but I mainly use it when running.

Straight out of my workout playlist:

-BU2B

-Caravan

-2112 Overture/Temples

-Spirit of Radio

-One Little Victory

-Animate

-Beneath, Between and Beyond

-La Villa Strangiato

-Marathon

-Chain Lighting

-War Paint

-Scars

-Hand Over Fist

-O Batarista (yes, I listen to a drum solo while I work out)

-Peaceable Kingdom (it has a great beat to follow for heavy weight lifting)

-Secret Touch

-Earthshine

I find that VT and Presto goes really well with weight lifting routines. For cardio, I normally go for bands with a faster tempo like Dragonforce.

I've always thought "Freewill" and "Limelight" work well for this. They seem to have the same attitude and energy.

OLV and Marathon are great for cardio work.. except that when I'm at the "Y" I have to keep myself from singing along. It's so tempting!

When I head into the weight room anything upbeat goes.

Superconductor, Time Stand Still, Red Barchetta (good warm-up to a workout), Dreamline, Animate, The Color of Right, Grand Designs, Red Sector A, Everyday Glory, Cut to the Chase, are a bunch that I use to work out too because the tempo is pretty fast, and doesn't have many transitions to slower parts of the song.

Half the World is a good workout song, but I sort of got burned out by it.

VaporTrails and Counterparts both do it for me when I'm lifting. Just good, hard, straight ahead rock without all the keyboards and proggy stuff (not that I don't like that stuff too, just not as much when I'm working out). I don't listen to music when I'm out running.

Yep. I started a thread about this in October:

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?show...720&hl=exercise

Here's my post:

I adopted a routine in which I walk to the beat of the music: slow-medium-fast-fast-medium-slow. Slow to stretch and warm-up, then work up to speed and then slow down again. It comes to about half an hour and a mile total (up the road and back) for the following playlist:

> Subdivisions (I start with this because I can walk slowly to it as I think about the pedal part and am not compelled to walk to the actual beat)

> Bravado (speeds up a bit, good solid beat)

> Leave That Thing Alone (faster still and my uphill portion)

> Red Sector A (I used to have Far Cry here but it's a bit too fast)

> Roll The Bones (slightly slower than RSA but still moving)

> Resist (cool down and get the mail)

It really helps to walk to the music as it gives me something to concentrate on besides steps and the like. I often play some air drums/guitar/bass while I walk which must look very odd to people who see me. Oh well, I'm enjoying myself and getting back in shape.

I did a long run to the whole MP album once. Best run of my life. Every song just put an added pep to my step(s).

Anthem always pumped me up (literally in lifting weights)

Something For Nothing

Between Sun & Moon

Earthshine

etc.

I have one of those newer ipods about the size of a stamp that I loaded all my Rush on to run with. I set up lists but find myself simply getting on an album kick. Lately it's been ATWS and CP. It depends on the mood but I like to switch it up alot.

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Mar 1 2011, 01:04 AM)
...It really helps to walk to the music as it gives me something to concentrate on besides steps and the like. I often play some air drums/guitar/bass while I walk which must look very odd to people who see me. Oh well, I'm enjoying myself and getting back in shape.

Oh, my gosh.

I air-drum all the time to whatever I'm listening to, or I'll signal with my hand when the melody is going up and down and I probably look really bizarre to the people driving by in their cars. I love walking down busy streets, though (somethin' about them!) and I don't care who sees. xD

Was kind of embarrassing once a couple years back when some dude leaned out the window as he drove past and fox-whistled at me. I was probably dancing whilst walking. Again.

Animate

Marathon

Overture/Temple

The Spirit of Radio

Subdivisions

Distant Early Warning

Kid Gloves

Limelight

Tom Sawyer

YYZ

La Villa Strangiato

Circumstances

Working Man

Driven

The Big Money

Red Sector A

Force Ten

Anthem

Bastille Day

I usually have this as a playlist and shuffle it whenever I work out.

My MP3 player is loaded with all of Rush's live albums for my workouts. I like the cheering, thinking that the crowds are cheering me on to get in shape.

Sometimes I time myself through Rush songs. I can say that I can run a mile in under "Xanadu" on Exit Stage Left.

The music - plus eliminating soft drinks and eating better - is helping me. I've lost more than 30 pounds since late-November, when I weighed in at 234. This morning, I weighed 201.8. I'm struggling to shake off the current weight plateau and get under 200 pounds.

The fat TB you see below is a thing of the past. I need to load an updated photo of myself.

I plan to run in my first 5K on March 26. I'm figuring based on my recent 1- and 2-mile runs, it might take me a bit over 40 minutes to finish. Not exactly world record time, but the goal is to finish.

Here's the first cut of songs for the run, in playing order and time:

1. One Little Victory (RIR), 5:32

2. Xanadu (ESL), 12:09

3. Malignant Narcissism/De Slagwerker (S&AL), 10:41

4. Natural Science (RIR), 8:34

5. Marathon (ASOH), 6:39

Total time: 41:35

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Mission!!! The S&A Live version is the power song on my Nike iPod. It gets the blood flowing and adrenaline pumping every time it comes one.

Good luck, tubelobarchetta! Rooting for you!

QUOTE (Earthshine Emmeline @ Mar 3 2011, 04:15 PM)
Not sure about workouts songs but I listen to 2112 Overture/ Temples of Syrinx whenever I want to get pumped for a math test XD

z7shysterical.gif

I love us rush fans.

I do the same before academic competition, but usually with hemispheres. Occasionally 2112 or tfol, if i have time for all three I love hearing the rush epics back to back.

Archived