Song That Made You Realize There Was More Music

furie

What was the song that made you realize that there was more music out there than what your parents were listening to? What were you first exposed to?

For me it was a Queen mix tape a friend on the bus to school gave me.

Most of my musical taste comes from my Dad... Classic Rock and Prog Rock... which accounts for most of what I listen to... He dosen't get into Metal much... but I do....

Probably "Dead!" by My Chemical Romance in January of 2008. Without it, I would have never discovered some of my favorite bands like Radiohead, blink-182, Depeche Mode, Muse, Coldplay, and many others.

Also, thanks to MyChem, I discovered bands like The Smiths, Black Flag, and The Misfits, as well as Morrissey.

I rejected everything my parents listened to until I was about thirteen. laugh.gif So this doesn't really apply to me.

I've liked some modern, mainstream tunes (and a bunch of dance/random foreign tunes) since I was young. I got into Europop around.. fourteen? And my parents have never heard of Caramell or Origa, so... xD

Michael Jackson. I remember the day after he died that my aunt came over and started talking about it. She brought over the 'Thriller' and 'Dangerous' CDs of hers and let me borrow them. I listened to both albums and was just blown away. That would lead me finding other artists and that's pretty much how I got into the habit of listening to new artists.

My parents always have had a big influence on me when it comes to listening habits. My dad is responsible for half the artists I listen to. My mom got me into Journey and a lot of the other "hit radio" stars you might hear. I haven't really rejected anything they've given to me music wise because, without them, I honestly would be clueless.

My parents listened to Johnny Cash and Marty Robbins - So it was all good - I still listen to Cash today - But Zeppelin and Aerosmith was my turning point in 73 and 74 - Plus i got hooked on America's "horse with no name" that one sticks out to me as really becoming interested in music -

Then everything changed when punk evolved -

It's funny though my kids are 24 and 26 and they still listen to my favorite music / the Cure / Smiths / Clash etc...

I tried to find an answer for this and couldn't. I guess it's because I have a brother and sister both about 10 years older than me so there was always "younger" music being played. My brother was into Sabbath, Zep, and harder stuff while my sister was more into the Beatles, Chicago, Earth, Wind, and Fire, etc...

My dad listened to country music, especially John Denver, Hank Williams, and Crystal Gayle. My mom's taste were more The Beatles, The Eagles, and 70's pop music. SO pretty much anything and everything I listened to on pop radio, I felt like it wasn't too far out of my mom's sphere, at least.

But when I first heard "Heart of the Sunrise" on the Classic Yes album, I knew I'd heard something different from what either of my parents listened to regularly.

"Cow" by Gene Loves Jezebel. Everything changed for me musically after hearing that one song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRbChTTHAEw (I'm not sure why the person who uploaded this put "Extended Version", it's the original version found on the album)

I remember a few songs that I heard on the radio that liked back when I was a kid:

Games Without Frontiers - Peter Gabriel

Another Brick in the Wall (part 2) - Pink Floyd

Let My Love Open the Door - Pete Townshend

Fly By Night - Rush

Those were some of the songs that got me started on the right foot. smile.gif

QUOTE (-Ender- @ Mar 1 2011, 09:02 AM)
My dad listened to country music, especially John Denver, Hank Williams, and Crystal Gayle. My mom's taste were more The Beatles, The Eagles, and 70's pop music. SO pretty much anything and everything I listened to on pop radio, I felt like it wasn't too far out of my mom's sphere, at least.

But when I first heard "Heart of the Sunrise" on the Classic Yes album, I knew I'd heard something different from what either of my parents listened to regularly.

My parents both listened to country music. Road trips were pure torture. Driving to my grandparent's house was a four hour trip listening to Dolly Parton, the Statler Brothers, and Alabama! 062802puke_prv.gif

I am the youngest of several kids, they listened to all the pop 70's stuff. We all played musical instruments. My parents listened to R & B and country. The radio was always on. But in 1978 I heard something that was unlike anything I had ever heard before. I heard a preview of a new album by Rush called Hemispheres. They were playing Circumstances. I was hooked. And the rest, as they say, is history.

I'm very pleased to report that I never had to come to this realization...

my mother, an avid music lover, turned me to on music for as long as I can remember. When I was 4 years old, I was spinning 45rpm singles on her record player by myself cool.gif

My parents always listened to country but one of my very first musical memories is my brother coming home all excited with a buddy, they had this record he just bought. he puts it on and his buddy goes "sounds like church music".

my brother says"it gets better listen!" lol!

the tune was 'Lazy' from Deep Purple's 'Machine Head'. he listened to that album all the time and when he wasn't there, I had it on. to this day that whole album is burned into my subconcious smile.gif

My son is four, and the little guy begs me to play Run To The Hills from Iron Maiden every time he gets into the car. He says "This is rock n roll, right Dad? So this is cool!" laugh.gif

It warms the cockles of my heart when I hear him screaming "RUN FOR YOUR LIIIIIIFFFEEE" in the back seat. smile.gif

Archived