Ghost Hunters

shaun3701

Does anyone else watch this show? A few years ago I thought it was legit, they seem to be approaching the subject rationally with a healthy skepticism, and only accepting evidence when there's absolutely no scientific way to explain it. Lately though, I have to wonder if this isn't all just a big production... is this a "reality show" or scripted entertainment?

It's TV. No reality show is truly real. Besides, it's made by Syfy. They changed their name and, IMO, it went from a downward slide to a plunge.

I think the show's kind of ridiculous. Their sensors would pick up a cockroach skittering across the floor.

I watch the show. I'm less interested in it now then when it first started. The first few seasons when you would hear an EVP, strange noise or see something they picked up on camera that was interesting I enjoyed it. Now it's just the same old, same old when it comes to what they find.

I like Ghost Hunters International a bit more. They get to go to more interesting places like castles in Europe and various other locations around the world which have way more history than anywhere they go in America.

Some stuff on the show is obvisously staged and scripted for the camera. Like when they meet in the office at the begining of the shows to discuss the case and when they show them driving to and from their investigations.

I always got the feeling that the investigations and what they find is legit though. I've always liked how they go in skeptical of the reports and try to debunk things, which they do with a good amount of success. It makes it feel like it's more real than fake because of that.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Feb 27 2011, 05:54 PM)
I watch the show. I'm less interested in it now then when it first started. The first few seasons when you would hear an EVP, strange noise or see something they picked up on camera that was interesting I enjoyed it. Now it's just the same old, same old when it comes to what they find.

I like Ghost Hunters International a bit more. They get to go to more interesting places like castles in Europe and various other locations around the world which have way more history than anywhere they go in America.

Some stuff on the show is obvisously staged and scripted for the camera. Like when they meet in the office at the begining of the shows to discuss the case and when they show them driving to and from their investigations.

I always got the feeling that the investigations and what they find is legit though. I've always liked how they go in skeptical of the reports and try to debunk things, which they do with a good amount of success. It makes it feel like it's more real than fake because of that.

yes.gif I like that the first thing they do is try to explain a "phenomenon" rather than just accept it as paranormal. That's as it should be. However....

There are more things in heaven and earth... than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

As of right now, we can't explain exactly what a "ghost" is. Maybe it really is a revenant. Maybe it's a form of energy that we can't yet measure or understand. Maybe it's bleed-over from another dimension or universe, as string theory posits. To dismiss something that has both scientific and anecdotal proof isn't skepticism, it's stubbornness. Just because we don't get it now, doesn't mean we won't. Remember, 200 years ago we had no idea about atoms, plasma... hell, a lot of what we take for granted today.

I believe there investigations are legit, many episodes have come up empty in finding any paranormal activity. Last few seasons this has been more often and makes for schla03.gif tv.

I like Ghost Lab & Paranormal State but The Haunted on Animal Planet is my current favorite.

I like Ghost Adventures, but on the same hand I do like what Ghost Hunters used to be, I still watch them both anways.

What killed it for me and Ghost Hunters was the live Halloween episode where they got the same voice "you are not supposed to be hear" twice in the course of almost a minute, and we could hear it on the live stream too. Grant's jacket lifting up with both his hands in his pockets at the same time, if that were real, I would certainly hope he put his hands out at arms length and start walking. Still happening with hands in plain sight would have been a little more believable.

On the other hand, what's starting to kill it for me and Ghost Adventures is that they are breaking their own creation, locking themselves in the building the whole night. Now they have this evp expert come in, this guy that used to live in the building, etc... I never did mind if they brought in a woman to use as a trigger object. The technology adventures has used has always kinda made me laugh, the diamond encrusted gold plated microphone supposed to pick up better evps than a regular mic, the parabot, olivius and other speech boxes. I hate the use of thermal cams as a walking camera, it needs be tripod only really.

I think the live Halloween shows in general just kinda show that this stuff you can't just turn it on at will, and I think it also shows how desperate some tv execs go for ratings sometimes. I think the other thing one needs to keep in mind, it's tv, and tv means getting viewers.

I still do watch both, haven't been keeping track of the latest TAPs episodes, I do like Ghost Hunter international, they have visited a local niagra on the lake hotspot, I think.

I have to laugh at Paranormal State. Anything that seems to come out of A&E is hilarious. There was that one paranormal show, it only lasted two episodes. The 3 guys visited Ohio State Reformatory and lit a small fire, locked the guy in one cell had to use a sthil saw to cut him out and then decided to do a blood letting or something, the guy cutting himself is all "this isn't how it's like on tv" no duh! Then the next ep they are out on a lake, put one guy in the lake and he's hearing voices.. bury the one guy in a coffin then suddenly need to dig him out with shovels.. laugh.gif

Haven't had much watches on Ghost Lab, it seemed pretty interesting from some snippets I've seen.

I miss old Unsolved Mysteries episodes, and those A Haunting shows, they were all recreations but man I loved those stories. Another laughable was scariest places on earth, they seemed to go to some crazy places but I'm sure MTV had their play in making sure stuff happened to boost ratings.

I just got back from doing my first ever 'ghost hunt' at Trans Allegheny Lunatic Asylum, 4 floors over 200,000 sq feet of space, crazy fun time!

I think the name of the show you were talking about was called Extreme Paranormal lasted a few episodes. I liked it thought it was different and fun to watch. Remember the show in the jail and guy with the chain saw, not sure that was at the Ohio(Mansfield) reformatory. Might of been, all the other ghost investigation groups had episodes from there(Ghost Adventures, Ghost Hunters.) One episode thought was nuts on Extreme Paranormal, guy buried alive with microphone and night vision camera old New Orleans? unmarked grave site. Crazy sh*t heard! laugh.gif

Went on a ghost tour Gettysburg me and my wife new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif Old lady our guide about fifty of us in a group walked along Baltimore street, just stopped in front of sites didn't actually go in them (Jenny Wade house, only civilian killed during battle) Couldn't hear what she was saying because there was another competing ghost tour across the street and gentleman giving that tour was louder drowning out what our guide was saying! And to top things off and talk about drowning (almost,) unbelievable rain storm hit half way through the tour a massive downpour, high winds thunder, lightning. Old Lady guide told us to get under trees, heard people in our group mumble this is nice it's lightning and were huddled under trees! Well she decided to cancel the rest of tour but still held her hand out for tips! And the real scary part was just trying to go back to our cars, Baltimore street became a river rapid with all of us forming chains holding on to each other wading as fast as we could to the sanctuary of escape to our automobiles cussing and damning all the way! No refunds either, out $50.00 bucks!!

Wow that's gotta be the most expensive 'tour' I've heard about. I think the ones up here in Ontario are around 15 bucks under or over, most you get to go into buildings but some are street walks. I've almost done a ghost tour in the rain, it ran as far as I knew, but we missed out because it was just starting as we pulled up, would have been a creepy night! No lightning though. Interesting story thanks for sharing!

Yeah that's right extreme paranormal. They bury they guy down there, then he starts freaking out and all of a sudden all they have is shovels to dig him up with, hilarious.

I am so tired of all this ghost shit. Every damn channel seems to have about forty different haunted shows. The dumbest one has to be the Animal Planet show.

The lengths that some of the paranormal believers will go to to rationalize their beliefs are sometimes so far beyond credibility it's laughable. Bottom line - if a home ever belonged to a famous/infamous person, or has even the most tenuous link to anything of historical significance, it MUST be haunted. Like Liberace's piano (no really, I caught a bit of this on one episode), or the Alamo. . .

It sort of goes like this:

Here's an old building.

People lived in it a long time ago.

They died.

It's haunted.

Buuuulllllshit.

Edited by Mara

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 3 2011, 12:41 PM)
I am so tired of all this ghost shit. Every damn channel seems to have about forty different haunted shows. The dumbest one has to be the Animal Planet show.

The lengths that some of the paranormal believers will go to to rationalize their beliefs are sometimes so far beyond credibility it's laughable. Bottom line - if a home ever belonged to a famous/infamous person, or has even the most tenuous link to anything of historical significance, it MUST be haunted. Like Liberace's piano (no really, I caught a bit of this on one episode), or the Alamo. . .

Here's an old building.
They died.
It's haunted.

Buuuulllllshit.

I think that's a generalization,you can make explanations and conclusions also if your already determined and in the mind set you don't believe.

Just like the other end of the rationale if you believe EVERYTHING is paranormal related!

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 3 2011, 12:41 PM)

Here's an old building.
They died.
It's haunted.

Buuuulllllshit.

Neil, is that you?

I know... ghosts = spirits = religion, therefore Neil hates ghosts!