Slowed down Rush sounds like Black Sabbath

furie

whoa.... I feel like I'm trippin'...

spit6ph.gif

uhmmm, yeah, Lerxst's licks sure sounds like Tommy Iommi on downers... And, the same can be said about Geddy vs Ozzie vocals...

Man, ar eyou messin' with my mind duuuudddeeeee.... cool10.gif spit6ph.gif

Working Man, Stick it Out, and BU2B are all VERY Sabbathy tunes. I would'be be surprised if they WEREN'T influenced by Sabbath, at least a little bit. It makes sense too. Rush have a really heavy sound, especially pre synth - post synth. Much heavier than Zeppelin.

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Feb 26 2011, 09:58 PM)
QUOTE (Mr. Krinkle @ Feb 26 2011, 11:51 PM)
What's Sabbath at half speed like? wacko.gif

it's the voice of Satan giving secret messages

firedevil.gif You rang?

A lot of guitar music can sound like Sabbath when slowed down. Makes the guitar sound de-tuned, like Iommi plays. Iommi typically de-tunes down to a C-sharp.

actually that was only for MOR - Sabotage. Technical Ecstasy was in E as was Never Say Die!

Heaven and Hell through Reunion are in Db. And the last album with Dio, The Devil You Know is in C.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Mar 1 2011, 03:35 PM)
actually that was only for MOR - Sabotage. Technical Ecstasy was in E as was Never Say Die!

Heaven and Hell through Reunion are in Db. And the last album with Dio, The Devil You Know is in C.

Dude, you gotta be a guitarist to know this! laugh.gif Weren't their first three albums in C-sharp?

QUOTE (ozzy85 @ Mar 1 2011, 06:32 PM)
QUOTE (D3strukt @ Mar 1 2011, 03:35 PM)

Dude, you gotta be a guitarist to know this! laugh.gif Weren't their first three albums in C-sharp?

I am a guitarist.

Black Sabbath and Paranoid are in E. Tony downtuned a half step down on both of those tours to save Ozzy's voice.

Then he downtuned even more, which was because his fingers hurt (you know the infamous story about his tips.).

Then around the time of Sabotage, he got lighter gauge strings, which enabled him to play in E without ripping his fingers to shreds.

Take for example this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiShfBmb-oA...46A7C25F547661D

and then this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbzPzTDCqik&feature=related

Lol.

On another note, Geezer Butler is a damn god. Him and Ged are like my two favorite bassists, ever. But I think Geezer has a better tone.

Does anyone else think Tony and Geddy need to do some serious work together?

I mean Alex makes good metal riffs and all, but get the master in there, and you've got some damn good riffs.

Hell Alex could even take some pointers from Tony. (in the Metal blues sense, anyway.)

Archived