Disgusting foods

Good,bad,andrush

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rushforumnewuser @ Feb 26 2011, 08:37 PM)
About 25 years ago, a meal of KFC left me vomiting for 2 days with a 12 pounds weight loss. I haven't eaten it since, just the thought of it makes me queasy.

finger lickin' good?

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Feb 27 2011, 08:13 AM)
tripe

Tripe is good pickled. My great-grandmother made the_best pickled tripe. She was famous locally for her tripe and souse (a pickle hog meat food) and sold it at the farmer's market (along with a lot of other farm foods and goods).

I like Menudo and Pepperpot Soup, too. The honeycomb tripe is the best.

Tripe does have to be cleaned properly.

Edited by summer_sky

I suppose I can also mention I hate bananas almost as much as eggs. I've tried and tried to like them, because they are so good for you, but yuck. It's a combination of the taste and the texture.

It really annoys me when people put bananas in fruit salad - even if you pick them out, you still know they were there. They flavor everything they touch. However, my grandmother makes a banana bread that has so much allspice in it that it masks the banana completely. I love it.

QUOTE (summer_sky @ Feb 27 2011, 08:29 AM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Feb 27 2011, 08:13 AM)
tripe

Tripe is good pickled. My great-grandmother made the_best pickled tripe. She was famous locally for her tripe and souse (a pickle hog meat food) and sold it at the farmer's market (along with a lot of other farm foods and goods).

I like Menudo and Pepperpot Soup, too. The honeycomb tripe is the best.

Tripe does have to be cleaned properly.

never had it pickled only italian style and i didn't care for it. i'd try it pickled if it was a toothpick sample.

Edited by ReflectedLight

QUOTE (Mara @ Feb 27 2011, 08:43 AM)
I suppose I can also mention I hate bananas almost as much as eggs. I've tried and tried to like them, because they are so good for you, but yuck. It's a combination of the taste and the texture.

It really annoys me when people put bananas in fruit salad - even if you pick them out, you still know they were there. They flavor everything they touch. However, my grandmother makes a banana bread that has so much allspice in it that it masks the banana completely. I love it.

try banana cream pie. biggrin.gif i never liked bananas in a fruit salad because they turn to mush pretty quickly.

I hate mayonnaise, mustard, and vinegar, and lots of other things. I'm a pretty picky eater.

Oh, and I hate Meat Loaf, too. Every time "Paradise By The Dashboard Light" comes on the radio I dive screaming to change the station! wink.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Feb 27 2011, 08:43 AM)

I don't like bananas either for pretty much the same reason. I think I like the taste, but I can't get past the texture of it.

I also don't like carrots, cooked or uncooked. Yet, they always come in those prepackaged salads. eyesre4.gif

I don't like cooked apples. The smell and the taste are good, but the texture, just like bananas, I don't like. So apple pie is not something I'd eat.

I am a vegetarian. So this automatically excludes all meats.

So here are some vegetarian nominees:

- grits, cream of wheat, cream of corn, cream of oatmeal, cottage cheese. It is the texture. I cannot even think of them without getting nauseated.

- whole milk that has not been properly homogenized. Let's just say my mother switched us to low-fat very quickly after a bad experience, and to skim not too long afterwards. Nowadays I can only drink skim milk- and hardly ever drink liquid milk period, preferring cheese, yogurt, sour cream, and other sources of calcium. I also prefer almond milk when it comes to pouring on cereal or baking.

- avocado and guacamole. Never liked them. Won't try them. I do not need the extra fat anyway.

QUOTE (IChoseFreeWill @ Feb 27 2011, 11:40 AM)
I am a vegetarian. So this automatically excludes all meats.

So here are some vegetarian nominees:

- grits, cream of wheat, cream of corn, cream of oatmeal, cottage cheese. It is the texture. I cannot even think of them without getting nauseated.

- whole milk that has not been properly homogenized. Let's just say my mother switched us to low-fat very quickly after a bad experience, and to skim not too long afterwards. Nowadays I can only drink skim milk- and hardly ever drink liquid milk period, preferring cheese, yogurt, sour cream, and other sources of calcium. I also prefer almond milk when it comes to pouring on cereal or baking.

- avocado and guacamole. Never liked them. Won't try them. I do not need the extra fat anyway.

it's un-American to eat a vegetarian hot dog. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Feb 25 2011, 08:33 PM)
I see it's been mentioned, but I cannot let this pass.

God, but there are no words that can adequately express my utter loathing for eggs. The only way I will eat them is if all the egg essence is completely absent. In other words, I will eat them as an ingredient in baked goods, or as a binder for things like meatloaf or burgers, but that's about it. Custards and quiches are out because they are too eggy.

Really, I'd starve to death before eating eggs. My husband has to wait until I've left the house if he wants to boil one for breakfast; even the smell makes me gag. And he knows he'd better use about a half-can of Febreze to obliterate the odor.

I used to like eggs when I was a kid. I ate scrambled eggs fairly often. But then I came down with some horrific stomach virus when I was about eight, and I threw up eggs EVERYWHERE. Not to say that any vomit qualifies as "pleasant", but egg barf is particularly vile. Since then I've never been able to tolerate them.

Aww come on Mara. You're a tough gal. Don't let one bout of food poisoning get ya down. laugh.gif

I kid. I totally respect your hatred of all things egg. Personally, I love eggs. My favorite egg breakfast is: sunny side up over heavily buttered toast. Oh, and fry that egg in a serious amount of butter too.

I will eat almost anything. Any thing from any where. Consequently, I have suffered from a lot of food poisoning. There was a period there where I got it about once a month for like a year straight. I totally lack the ability to be picky about food and food vendors.

Having said that, do NOT attempt to feed me beets. I will not eat them. No. No. NO!

I've eaten octopus. I've eaten durian. I've eaten chicken from a place where every other passer by would have said, "I'm calling the food police on that place."

One thing I've learned is that something may look or smell foul but you should still try it. It might taste really, really good. It might not though, too. Taking chances and trying new things builds character.

I want to be slopping over with character.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Feb 27 2011, 10:50 AM)
So Janie, as long as "egg" is part of it, even the word itself, it's OK, right?

Sure.

And you know I'll be eating eggplant again.

One thing I've learned about food poisoning is that sometimes you have to get past that one bad experience, or two bad ones or three... I love pad thai and I remember the first time I suffered from food poisoning (which was one of the worst cases I ever had) it was really hard to eat that dish again but I love pad thai and so I forced myself to eat it again.

The other thing I learned about food poisoning is that I feel totally thin and ripped for the next few days.