The Recipe thread

The Owl

Mayonnaise

It wasn't until I was in my thirties that I learned that mayonnaise does not have to be bought in a jar at the food market. You can actually make your own delicious fresh mayo at home.

Here is how I was taught to make mayonnaise...

You will need:

approximately 1 cup of light olive oil (less strongly flavored than regular olive oil) or other good-quality oil if you do not like the taste of olive oil. I use canola oil for a neutral tasting mayo if I am making a specially flavored mayo.

1 or 2 egg yolks (reserve whites for another recipe)

Tablespoon or so of lemon juice or vinegar of your choice (depending on what flavor you want)

A pinch of salt and finely ground white pepper

Mix egg yolk and lemon juice (or vinegar) in a mixing bowl.

Using either a whisk or hand blender or food processor VERY SLOWLY drizzle a steady stream of oil into egg mixture while beating continuously.

As mixture begins to thicken, add salt and white pepper.

If mayonnaise is too thick, a tiny bit of water can be beaten into mixture to loosen it. Just drizzle a little water at a time while mixing until you have the consistency you want.

This is your basic mayonnaise. You can add any flavoring you like... dry (or prepared) mustard, garlic, favorite herbs, a bit of ketchup, horseradish... anything really. Or use an infused oil... Garlic infused oil is a favorite of mine.

My favorite cocktail sauce is made by mixing this base mayonnaise with some ketchup (just enough for color and added flavor, horseradish and cognac. mmmm, the_best cocktail sauce to serve with shrimp. yummy!

QUOTE (summer_sky @ Feb 26 2011, 11:39 AM)
Mayonnaise
It wasn't until I was in my thirties that I learned that mayonnaise does not have to be bought in a jar at the food market. You can actually make your own delicious fresh mayo at home.

You will need:
approximately 1 cup of light olive oil (less strongly flavored than regular olive oil) or other good-quality oil if you do not like the taste of olive oil. I use canola oil for a neutral tasting mayo if I am making a specially flavored mayo.
Tablespoon or so of lemon juice or vinegar of your choice (depending on what flavor you want)

Using either a whisk or hand blender or food processor VERY SLOWLY drizzle a steady stream of oil into egg mixture while beating continuously.
If mayonnaise is too thick, a tiny bit of water can be beaten into mixture to loosen it. Just drizzle a little water at a time while mixing until you have the consistency you want.

This is your basic mayonnaise. You can add any flavoring you like... dry (or prepared) mustard, garlic, favorite herbs, a bit of ketchup, horseradish... anything really. Or use an infused oil... Garlic infused oil is a favorite of mine.

My favorite cocktail sauce is made by mixing this base mayonnaise with some ketchup (just enough for color and added flavor, horseradish and cognac. mmmm, the_best cocktail sauce to serve with shrimp. yummy!

Mayonnaise is with vegetable oil... When you use olive oil it is an aioli. Not to be a smartass...just sayin.

QUOTE (Riv @ Mar 22 2011, 04:35 PM)
QUOTE (summer_sky @ Feb 26 2011, 11:39 AM)
Mayonnaise
It wasn't until I was in my thirties that I learned that mayonnaise does not have to be bought in a jar at the food market.  You can actually make your own delicious fresh mayo at home.

You will need:
approximately 1 cup of light olive oil (less strongly flavored than regular olive oil) or other good-quality oil if you do not like the taste of olive oil.  I use canola oil for a neutral tasting mayo if I am making a specially flavored mayo. 

Using either a whisk or hand blender or food processor VERY SLOWLY drizzle a steady stream of oil into egg mixture while  beating continuously.
If mayonnaise is too thick, a tiny bit of water can be beaten into mixture to loosen it.  Just drizzle a little water at a time while mixing until you have the consistency you want.

This is your basic mayonnaise.  You can add any flavoring you like... dry (or prepared) mustard, garlic, favorite herbs, a bit of ketchup, horseradish... anything really.  Or use an infused oil... Garlic infused oil is a favorite of mine.

Mayonnaise is with vegetable oil... When you use olive oil it is an aioli. Not to be a smartass...just sayin.

excellent. Thank you for the correction/clarification smile.gif

QUOTE (summer_sky @ Mar 27 2011, 09:03 PM)
Your slow cooker recipes sounds good, CT.    I'm copying and printing it to try soon!

although it's not my recipe. I found it elsewhere and it sounded good.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/9327499/#/vid9327499

Edited by circumstantial tree

The Owl's Amazing Baked Beans.... (Serves 4)(adjust preportions for amount cooking)

- 2 cans of Bush regular baked beans (standard can size), or Van Camp's Pork & Beans

- 1/2 cup minced white onion

-1/4 cup green onion/shallots

- 3 slices of thick cut bacon, cut into pieces

- 1 tablespoon ketchup

- 1 teaspoon Louisiana hot sauce

- 1 teaspoon brown sugar

- 1 teaspoon black pepper

- 1 teaspoon garlic powder

Instructions :

In a medium size oven proof casserole dish combine beans with all ingredients except the white onion and the bacon...

In a frying pan fry the bacon until half cooked, then add the white onion... continue cooking until the onions are caramelized....

Add the Onions and Bacon (Including the Bacon Grease) to the baked bean mixture and stir all ingredients together....

Bake at 375 for half an hour (stirring occasionally..)

-------------------------------

Amazingly Unhealthy (the bacon grease is to blame) but so damn good..

The Owl's Grilling sauce/ SOP

This is a cooking/basting sauce recipe, good on Pork, Beef, and Chicken... not really a sauce for dipping after the food is cooked... the sauce will be thin, so a grilling mop works better than a brush..

Ingredients

- 1 whole white onion minced

- 1 Tablespoon of Minced Garlic

- 1 Teaspoon of Bacon Grease

- 1 stick of Butter or Margarine

- 1 Cup of Italian Salad Dressing

- 1/4 cup of plain white vinegar

- 1/4 Cup of Worcestershire sauce

- 1/4 Cup of A1 Steak Sauce

- 1/2 Cup of Kraft BBQ sauce

- 2 Tablespoon of Lemon Juice

- 1 Cup of Beer (Bock Beer works the Best) (alterable due to what you're cooking)

- 1 teaspoon of Garlic Power

- 1 teaspoon of Black Pepper

- 1 teaspoon of McCormick BBQ seasoning (or whatever your favorite BBQ seasoning is)

Instructions

In a saucepot saute onions and fresh garlic in your bacon grease until caramelized....Add your stick of butter until it melts... Add all other ingredients and allow to cook down (and reduce slightly) for about 20 minutes... use this concoction on your meat as it cooks... baste to preference, I baste on every turn, but it does not overpower the meat..

- Levels of Beer or Water are adjustable due to what you're cooking, if you are cooking a brisket for 12 hours you might want a little bit more beer or water than what is recommended. If you are quick cooking some steaks, or chicken breasts you do not need as much..... basically the longer you are cooking for the thinner (via more liquid) the sauce needs to be...

in a pan add olive oil and saute onion and garlic. add 5 stem tomatoes cut into quarters and cook for 3-4 minutes. add zucchini and cook for another 5 minutes. add 1 can of reduced sodium college inn chicken broth and cook until zucchini is tender. add 1 can of cannelini beans and cook for another 3-4 minutes to bring everything together and cover.

cook penne pasta in separate pot of boiling water. when pasta is finished cooking add to zucchini/bean mixture and toss. sprinkle some fresh basil and toss again. serve and sprinkle with pecorino romano.

crushed red pepper optional. trink38.gif

I found a great salmon dish in BHG cookbook that I make at least twice a month. So yummy, fast and simple:

Drizzle baking dish (I use Pyrex) with olive oil. Place cherry or grape tomoatoes in the bottom along with a clove (or two) or garlic and one shallot, all finely chopped. Top with salt, pepper and oregano if you wish. Bake at 375F (I think that is the temp? Somewhere around there!) for 10 minutes until tomotoes start to sizzle (and your house smells delish).

Season salmon w/ salt and pepper. Top the tomotoes with salmon and cook in oven until salmon is done.

I serve mine with basamati rice and salad.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Apr 13 2011, 11:03 AM)
I found a great salmon dish in BHG cookbook that I make at least twice a month. So yummy, fast and simple:

Drizzle baking dish (I use Pyrex) with olive oil. Place cherry or grape tomoatoes in the bottom along with a clove (or two) or garlic and one shallot, all finely chopped. Top with salt, pepper and oregano if you wish. Bake at 375F (I think that is the temp? Somewhere around there!) for 10 minutes until tomotoes start to sizzle (and your house smells delish).

Season salmon w/ salt and pepper. Top the tomotoes with salmon and cook in oven until salmon is done.

so you're laying the salmon on the bed of cooked tomatoes? the tomatoes don't burn when you put the salmon in the oven?

turkey meatloaf

1- 1.5 lbs ground turkey

1 egg

1/2 bag of fire roasted peppers and onions (frozen bag from trader joe's, saute in pan than add to meatloaf)

1/4 cup of italian breadcrumbs

1/4 cup of leftover tomato sauce or jarred sauce

mix ingredients together and shape

375 for 1/2 hour, remove and lightly brush ketchup all over.

cook another 1/2 hour or until done.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 13 2011, 05:31 PM)
QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Apr 13 2011, 11:03 AM)
I found a great salmon dish in BHG cookbook that I make at least twice a month.  So yummy, fast and simple:

Drizzle baking dish (I use Pyrex) with olive oil.  Place cherry or grape tomoatoes in the bottom along with a clove (or two) or garlic and one shallot, all finely chopped.  Top with salt, pepper and oregano if you wish.  Bake at 375F (I think that is the temp? Somewhere around there!) for 10 minutes until tomotoes start to sizzle (and your house smells delish).

Season salmon w/ salt and pepper.  Top the tomotoes with salmon and cook in oven until salmon is done.

so you're laying the salmon on the bed of cooked tomatoes? the tomatoes don't burn when you put the salmon in the oven?

they don't for me, no. unsure.gif