Is Rush The Best Band Ever?

Good,bad,andrush

They are one of my favorite bands.

They are a very nice contrast to the stereotypical rock band.

Their music is very intellectual.

The bandmates have great camaraderie- not to mention rapport with the audience.

I understand they are not for everyone- but they suit my tastes very well.

Not sure if they are my second fave band ever. But I have liked them since I got exposed to them.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 16 2011, 04:56 PM)
Everyone knows that the best band to ever lace up spandex are the Rushgoober Progstars and a close second would be the NecroCorpse Noose-Metal Glory Boys...their "Mincing Like a Nonce" and "Out Peeping with Mother" albums are legendary...

notworthy.gif

1022.gif

"Out Peeping" on reel-to-reel is a major collector's item now. Going for thousands of dollars on eBay, and you'll have to pry my copy from MY COLD DEAD HANDS!!! AAAAAAAAAAARRRRGGGHHH!!! 1022.gif yes.gif 653.gif comp26.gif trink39.gif 1287.gif

I think you could make a solid argument that Rush is the best band ever, based on:

1. Their musicianship, and especially their influence on other musicians.

2. Total gold/platinum albums sold (number three behind behind the Beatles and Stones, right?).

3. Their unique style, espcially in their classic period (say, 2112 to Signals).

4. Their integerity and stability over the years, compared to the drama of most other bands.

Other bands may have Rush beat in some of these individual categories, but Rush's unique combination of strengths is pretty impressive.

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Feb 17 2011, 01:44 PM)
I think you could make a solid argument that Rush is the best band ever, based on:

1. Their musicianship, and especially their influence on other musicians.
2. Total gold/platinum albums sold (number three behind behind the Beatles and Stones, right?).
3. Their unique style, espcially in their classic period (say, 2112 to Signals).
4. Their integerity and stability over the years, compared to the drama of most other bands.

Other bands may have Rush beat in some of these individual categories, but Rush's unique combination of strengths is pretty impressive.

goodpost.gif

This is what I'm trying to say.

They're more balanced than ANY OTHER BAND, and yet they're not spread out to thinly; they truly have strengths everywhere. Some band might have more in one category...but Rush has quite a lot in just about every category. Hence the reason why I am convinced they are the best.

Rush is certainly my favorite band, by far. No other band even comes close.

As far as the best band ever, that's impossible to say because everyone has their own ideas of what makes a great band. If you put personal judgments aside and only consider things that are quantifiable (or at least somewhat quantifiable) like a band's longevity, influence on other musicians, consistency, creativity, originality, loyal fan base, live performance, credibility, their catalog, etc then I think its safe to put them in the top 10. Also in that list would be bands like The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, The Who and U2. I'm not really a fan of any of these other bands but I do recognize what they've accomplished during their time.

Objectively, probably not.

Subjectively, for me what Rush does musically is so "other" compared to any other rock band, I can't even compare. It's like there are bands that play rock,'and then there's Rush. To try and compare anyone to Rush is unfair to anyone else.

I could be stranded on a desert island with the Rush catalog as the only recorded music I had available and I wouldn't miss the rest very much.

Best 3-piece outfit in this Galaxy ! The very best band ever in my books (mostly because they are Canadians, land of ice and snow, they are cool and have always been, I doubt this kind of deep wisdom would ever came from the States..). This band has always touched me in some strange way deeply and made me smile-..secretly. After Rush my next group would be Pink Floyd..but that's another issue. I have been listening rock/heavy metal, prog (among other music styles) since 1976..but Rush and Floyd have stayed on top of my list..when at last the music matters.

(from a music consumer who likes so wide variety of music..)

2.gif

QUOTE (hannuFIN @ Feb 18 2011, 09:43 AM)
Best 3-piece outfit in this Galaxy ! The very best band ever in my books (mostly because they are Canadians, land of ice and snow, they are cool and have always been, I doubt this kind of deep wisdom would ever came from the States..). This band has always touched me in some strange way deeply and made me smile-..secretly. After Rush my next group would be Pink Floyd..but that's another issue. I have been listening rock/heavy metal, prog (among other music styles) since 1976..but Rush and Floyd have stayed on top of my list..when at last the music matters.
(from a music consumer who likes so wide variety of music..)

2.gif

popcorn.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Feb 17 2011, 11:54 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 16 2011, 04:56 PM)
Everyone knows that the best band to ever lace up spandex are the Rushgoober Progstars and a close second would be the NecroCorpse Noose-Metal Glory Boys...their "Mincing Like a Nonce" and "Out Peeping with Mother" albums are legendary...

notworthy.gif

1022.gif

"Out Peeping" on reel-to-reel is a major collector's item now. Going for thousands of dollars on eBay, and you'll have to pry my copy from MY COLD DEAD HANDS!!! AAAAAAAAAAARRRRGGGHHH!!! 1022.gif yes.gif 653.gif comp26.gif trink39.gif 1287.gif

If you find it BUY it whatever the cost!!

ph34r.gif

1022.gif

laugh.gif

the things that make them the best band to us are sometimes the things that make them the worst band to others... it's like some jazz, just too far out there for the average person to "get". "music isn't supposed to be that complicated", they say...

maybe they're right, which makes it pretty amazing that a crazy little canadian band like Rush can wind up among the Stones and the Beatles for most consecutive gold/plat albums sold... maybe Rush is the best band ever?

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Feb 19 2011, 10:18 AM)
the things that make them the best band to us are sometimes the things that make them the worst band to others... it's like some jazz, just too far out there for the average person to "get". "music isn't supposed to be that complicated", they say...

maybe they're right, which makes it pretty amazing that a crazy little canadian band like Rush can wind up among the Stones and the Beatles for most consecutive gold/plat albums sold... maybe Rush is the best band ever?

remember that rant alex did during la villa one time. "jazz is weird". laugh.gif

It is very hard to objectively define who is the best band of all time. It must include a lot of different elements and criteria. Sometimes I think such a thing as "best band ever" doesn't even exist. Rush is one of musically most quality bands of all time for sure, but there is not everything about a quality, there are also some other things for judging a band.

Rush is in my top 5 favorite bands and I think they deserve to be in top 10 or 15 all-time greatest rock bands. Personally I would put a few bands ahead of them. The competition of superb bands in the world of rock music is really big.

As far as I'm concerned, they're the best band. Some bands may one-up them in certain aspects, but overall their integrity, charisma, artistic/creative ability, compositional ability, instrumental ability, intellectual capacity, depth, honesty, stamina, fan base (you guys are lovely :heart: ) etc (I could go on with more specific examples), in my mind, show themselves to be far above any band I have encountered thus far. Sure there are other fantastic bands (The Beatles, for example), and greatness can mean quite a few things. Tricky question but that's what opinions are for :P :rush:
  • Like 2