Is Rush The Best Band Ever?

Good,bad,andrush

I think you could easily say "one of the best ever" and they are my favorite band. I was a huge fan before the documentary came out and after seeing that I really feel like the band is comprised of genuine, good people.

There are so many ways a band can come apart and the temptations of success that Rush has been able to avoid. Their dedication to their musical integrity is unsurpassed with any band ever, in my opinion.

Like they said in the documentary, with Rush fans there is absolute brand loyalty... and that doesn't come easy in this day and age.

2.gif

Are they the best ever? Maybe not, but collectively it's amazing the three of them found each other and are still working together. So many bands have just one member who's really good at what they do, but all three? In anyone's book, that's pretty impressive.

To me, they are definitely one of the best bands ever. And there have been times in my life when they were definitely #1, depending on my state of mind.

I agree w/the general consensus of this thread: that you can't really determine a "best" other than for yourself. smile.gif But I think most people would agree that, in rock, Rush set the bar very high.

Blue is the greatest color in history. No one can tell me any different. Red comes in second and even though Green doesnt like dealing with fans, its number 3!

Best band is totally a personal opinion and futile to debate. Music isnt a sport, and identifying yourself with "the best" of anything doesnt make your life better or worse.

I think everyone on this forum would agree they are the Best Band Ever, for us. Does it hold water with the rest of the planet, doesn't really matter I guess.

I have a T-Shirt that says "Your Favorite Band Sucks", i wear it at gigs all around the world (not trying to be a dick, just in the entertainment industry) which always gets people to ask "And whats your favorite band?"

To which I respond 2.gif This usually stops the debate.

Anyone who has heard of Rush knows they are great, they just really don't like them - something we all have to come to terms with in our own way.

If that means in terms of a band that did not compromise integrity or cater to radio and amass billboard hits, who did what they wanted to and set the blueprint for other bands on how it could be (and should be) done, then yes, Rush is the best band ever!

Oh and they're pretty damn good musicians too!

But we could be biased as Rush fans. As some have stated, ask a general music fan and Rush would not be among the firsts ones listed. Yet, they do have a lot of achievements that can back up that question!

So although, they are not THE best band ever, they are among or should be among the greats!

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Feb 16 2011, 10:51 AM)
For me I would have to say the Beatles are the best followed by Rush! However the world might place them third behind The beatles and U2!

I'm part of "the world" group smile.gif

QUOTE (ACL @ Feb 16 2011, 09:14 AM)
I think everyone on this forum would agree they are the Best Band Ever, for us. Does it hold water with the rest of the planet, doesn't really matter I guess.
I have a T-Shirt that says "Your Favorite Band Sucks", i wear it at gigs all around the world (not trying to be a dick, just in the entertainment industry) which always gets people to ask "And whats your favorite band?"
To which I respond 2.gif This usually stops the debate.
Anyone who has heard of Rush knows they are great, they just really don't like them - something we all have to come to terms with in our own way.

I don't think I'd even put rush in the top 5 wacko.gif

QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ Feb 16 2011, 03:12 PM)
I think everyone on this forum would agree they are the Best Band Ever, for us.  Does it hold water with the rest of the planet, doesn't really matter I guess. 
To which I respond  2.gif  This usually stops the debate. 

I don't think I'd even put rush in the top 5 wacko.gif

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_sz1oAbUGH5Y/TMZhDgZOVXI/AAAAAAAAACo/UmI9WnlRCeQ/s1600/shitstorm%27s+a+brewin%27.jpg

i don't have a best band, best guitarist, best drummer, etc....whatever i'm in the mood for is what i play and if i'm enjoying that song, that's all that matters. everyone has their own taste in music and what i might not like in the rush catalog someone else might love. i won't mention any particular rush songs or albums at this time. tongue.gif

Everyone knows that the best band to ever lace up spandex are the Rushgoober Progstars and a close second would be the NecroCorpse Noose-Metal Glory Boys...their "Mincing Like a Nonce" and "Out Peeping with Mother" albums are legendary...

notworthy.gif

1022.gif

This is an interesting phenomenon... I've been chatting back and forth with another guitar player on the other MB I belong to (Stephen King MB). I told him that I'd been working on Resist and posted a link to the video (acoustic version). He replied that he was familiar with the song but wasn't a Rush fan. But he noted "... I got mad respect for their skills for sure!" So even people who don't really like their music acknowledge their virtuosity. cool.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Feb 16 2011, 08:02 PM)

This is an interesting phenomenon... I've been chatting back and forth with another guitar player on the other MB I belong to (Stephen King MB). I told him that I'd been working on Resist and posted a link to the video (acoustic version). He replied that he was familiar with the song but wasn't a Rush fan. But he noted "... I got mad respect for their skills for sure!" So even people who don't really like their music acknowledge their virtuosity. cool.gif

i think many know they all have good skills but like you said, some just don't take to their music. i think alex has held back and played too conservative alot of times where he should just let go.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Feb 16 2011, 06:07 PM)
QUOTE (HowItIs @ Feb 16 2011, 08:02 PM)

i think many know they all have good skills but like you said, some just don't take to their music. i think alex has held back and played too conservative alot of times where he should just let go.

But that's one of the things that makes him so good. He doesn't overwhelm the song. He plays what fits and sometimes he is willing to lay back: he's not like some guitarists who feel that *they* are the "stars" and should always be center stage (my BIL works with one of those - ugh!). But Alex does shred pretty damn well when called for, IMHO. 1022.gif

Hey look..! I'm a Superconductor. When did that happen? laugh.gif

Edited by HowItIs

best band ever? that's a tough call, but in my opinion they have 6 or 7 of the top maybe 30 or so albums in history. Those 6 or 7 I would argue all day long as better than almost anything you can put up against 'em.

The '75-'81 Rush is maybe my favorite catalog by any band. But there are some truly great bands that have graced this world.