Is Rush The Best Band Ever?

Good,bad,andrush

Maybe not your favorite band ever...but are they truly the best?

First, there are only three people in this band. They have stuck together for almost forty years. They're all good people. Of course, there's not really proof of that, and that doesn't really have much to do with the actually BAND Rush, but it's a nice touch.

All three are virtuoso musicians, and there's really no denying that. All three are commonly ranked as the best of their respective instruments; not always the best, but commonly in the top ten. I know popularity isn't everything, but they're popular enough to be able to be possibly considered the best.

They're very influential musicians, having influenced MANY other musicians. They are also innovative and creative, adding their own style while touching the surface of many other genres, proving they can possibly play any type of music. Their music, when orchestrated, sounds very beautiful (even to my grandfather, who abhors anything that isn't classical), proving that their music is complex, harmonious, and intelligently written.

They have a lot of albums and a lot of songs, and each of their albums are different; they never quite stick to one sound. Live, they are outstanding.

Is anybody out there truly better? I can really say a lot more, but I shouldn't have to.

If you think someone is better, please state why. I'm pretty convinced now...that they're the best.

• Like 1

Why yes, yes they are. tongue.gif

Three great musicians and yet, they are greater than the sum of their parts.

They're my favorite band, by far.

The "best"? I guess it depends on the criteria.

While Rush is my favourite band, and they've done amazingly well and are extremely talented for three guys that have stuck together for over 30 years, it really depends what you mean by the "best band". Rush surely didn't innovate, but they took what was on the table and did some great things with it.

Do I think they are the best band ever? IMO, they come third. The Beatles as the greatest band because while Rush's library is diverse, The Beatles have stepped into a lot of different genres and made major hits among them. While they may not be the most talented on their instruments in terms of virtuosity, they managed to write in such a way that they could deliver what they wanted with what they had. They also introduced the ever-popular Sitar to mainstream Western music.

Led Zeppelin in second because they pretty well wrote the book on Rock and Roll (with the help of some others) and they influence can be heard in bands all the way up to today.

Edited by usb_connector

I think labelling anything "the best" is a futile and asinine endeavor. No matter what you say, no matter what argument or criteria you use, there will always be dispute. You commend their skills as musicians, yet many bands are loved for their lack of musical prowess. Where I see great emotional depth in Geddy's vocal performance on something like Cygnus X-1: Book I: The Journey, many people just hear some dude who's balls must be in a vice grip. Subjectivity is a beautiful thing, because it is through challenge and endurance against naysayers that personal truths are realized.

That being said, I dub 2.gif as my second favorite band, clocking in only after the Fab Floyd.

Edited by zogoto

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Feb 15 2011, 07:52 PM)

The "best"? I guess it depends on the criteria.

they criteria is pretty much everything you can think of. I can't see why they aren't.

I forgot to mention that their music and lyrics are both emotionally moving and intellectually stimulating...

I also forgot to mention their music is held dear by many fans (that's us.) Songs like Subdivisions, Bravado, The Pass...their many songs like these also indicate each fan can have a DIFFERENT favorite song, which means many things to that certain fan.

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Feb 15 2011, 08:23 PM)
QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Feb 15 2011, 07:52 PM)

The "best"?    I guess it depends on the criteria.

they criteria is pretty much everything you can think of. I can't see why they aren't.

I forgot to mention that their music and lyrics are both emotionally moving and intellectually stimulating...

I also forgot to mention their music is held dear by many fans (that's us.) Songs like Subdivisions, Bravado, The Pass...their many songs like these also indicate each fan can have a DIFFERENT favorite song, which means many things to that certain fan.

Any fan base for any band can rationalize like this.

Objectivity is the key. But what is the criteria for objectivity?

You can't say which band is the "best ever." Its all a matter of personal preference. You can have your favorites, and even those can change over time. You can even have large numbers of people agree with each other that a particular band is their favorite. But we all know that this will not make that particular band the best ever.

If Rush is your favorite band right now, or always has been, and maybe always will be, that should be enough for you. Don't seek out others who will tell you that your favorite band is the best ever. What's the point in that? Do you need reassurance that you are not wasting your time by not listening to the best ever band?

We all love, or at least like Rush. And chances are that at some point, Rush has been most all of ours favorite band. Yes was my favorite band for a long time, then Rush, then Genesis, then Yes again, then Rush. Now its Joe Bonamassa. Next week, month, or year, it could be Radiohead, or some band I've yet to hear. Its all about what speaks to you at the moment.

Enjoy it, and don't worry about who's best.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Feb 15 2011, 06:16 PM)
The Beatles are the "greatest" band of all time. Practically everyone likes them, and they influenced almost every band/musician. However, Rush is my favorite band.

goodpost.gif I like this. Well said!

Also:

12 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users):

progrush2112, Sir Lerxst, Litehawk, ALifeson85, subdivisor, the oaks, Oracle, usb_connector, Xanadoood, realomind, driventotheedge, zogoto

PARTY! common001.gif cheer.gif trink39.gif

Edited by progrush2112

QUOTE (progrush2112 @ Feb 15 2011, 06:01 PM)
12 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users):
progrush2112, Sir Lerxst, Litehawk, ALifeson85, subdivisor, the oaks, Oracle, usb_connector, Xanadoood, realomind, driventotheedge, zogoto

PARTY! common001.gif cheer.gif trink39.gif

waaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! cheer.gif bncegrn.gif common001.gif joker.gif cheer.gif bncegrn.gif common001.gif joker.gif cheer.gif joker.gif cheer.gif joker.gif bncegrn.gif common001.gif

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/e/f/1/ef1488d7420e6067b9e92d807ff155da.gif http://content.ytmnd.com/content/e/f/1/ef1488d7420e6067b9e92d807ff155da.gif http://content.ytmnd.com/content/e/f/1/ef1488d7420e6067b9e92d807ff155da.gif

There is no such thing as a "best band ever". There are a massive number of criteria against which you could rate bands, but to reach the conclusion that they are the best ever, is impossible.

Certainly, there are better guitarists than Alex, better bassists than Geddy and better drummers than Neil in terms of level of ability on their instruments, however the combination of their individual (pretty damn good) talents does lead to a satisfying level of musicianship - and some great music.

Rush is not the best band in the world, because there isn't one, is impossible to define.

They are in my book. I've listened to Rush FAR longer than I've ever listened to another artist, they have the only music forum I've fallen for, they have the most gorgeous man I've ever laid eyes on AND I look forward to seeing them. Plus, I was beside myself with joy when Caravan and BU2B was released.

Are they the best band? To me? Yes, and I think highly of my opinions, so...

tongue.gif

QUOTE (usb_connector @ Feb 15 2011, 07:08 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 15 2011, 08:27 PM)

Objectivity is the key. But what is the criteria for objectivity?

There is none. I took a humanities course last term which studied how to objectively look at music. The conclusion at the end is that you can TRY to look at it objectively, and some people are better than others, but there is no absolute way of doing it because no matter what people will always be influenced by what they've been exposed to in their culture and by their own personal tastes.

yes.gif

Exactly. Music is one of those things that cannot be judged objectively. Witness all the scuffles over various songs that we have here on TRF. Because music is, by its very nature, subjective.

Is Rush the best band ever? For me, while they are currently highest on my pedestal, there are other bands I love. But I can't rate the handful of my favorite bands. It's much too subjective for me.... wink.gif

Edited by HowItIs