Writing Alex from a 10yo?

april81972

My son Jakob is 10 years old and is a budding guitarist. His favorite guitar player is (duh) Alex Lifeson. Today after school he was part of a meeting of a handful of kids who discuss how to make school a better place. The topic discussed was role models. My son's said his role model is Alex and his teacher told him to write a letter to him telling him that.

How does he write a letter to Alex with a chance that he'll actually read it?

Thanks very much in advance for any help.

Dave Hull

That is so extremely cool and I think Alex would really be touched.

Try PM'ing Skip Daly. He's interviewed Alex before and might have a suggestion for you. His username here is sdaly.

Also remember, from your ten-year-old son's point of view, actually composing the letter, sealing it up in an envelope, and mailing it can be much more symbolic and satisfying than actually receiving any type of response. A 10 year old can easily be distracted by the next big thing.

It's the adult in us that's actually expecting and interpreting some kind of meaningful response...

Yes?

boarder.gif

Edited by psionic11

Thank you all for your replies. Proves that Rush fans are the best in the world.

When I finished watching BTLS I thought it might make an impression on Jakob. He was absolutely glued to the screen. The only thing I told him before he sat down to watch it was that 'this is how it should be done.'

psionic11 is right on target. I remember sending a letter to my favorite baseball player once, forgetting that I even sent it about 15 minutes after it went out the door. About 6 months later I received a letter from the player (Dale Murphy of the ATL Braves) and of course an autograph or two. I thought that was the coolest thing ever.

I'll keep you all posted.

QUOTE (Hear Again @ Feb 15 2011, 09:43 AM)
www.anthementertainmentgroup.com/
contact us

Take Care

this sounds like a nice and promising offer...

good luck to Jakob!

QUOTE (Hear Again @ Feb 15 2011, 07:43 AM)
www.anthementertainmentgroup.com/
contact us

Take Care

I'd try this. The folks at Anthem are pretty good about forwarding things.

Good luck!! biggrin.gif

So Jakob has written three letters to Alex to go out to different addresses. I thought some of you who replied to the original post might be interested to read what he wrote:

Dear Mr. Lifeson,

Hi, my name is Jakob. I live in Mt. Laurel, NJ. Rush is the best band ever! I am writing you because we have a program at school called W.A.T.C.H. It stands for words, actions, thought, character and heart. One of my assignments was to write to a role model in my life. I also play guitar, and I want to be a guitarist just like you. I got the guitar on Christmas and I learned Working Man. Right now I'm learning Limelight. I also play Working Man on Rock Band with my brothers. I hope someday I will see you in a concert! Are you going to write a new song soon? Please write back.

Your fan,

Jakob smile.gif

Thanks again for all of the replies. I'll keep you posted if he receives a reply.

Dave

That is a wonderful letter -- I don't see how Alex could resist. wink.gif

Good luck Jakob!

QUOTE (april81972 @ Feb 27 2011, 03:52 AM)
Dear Mr. Lifeson,

Hi, my name is Jakob. I live in Mt. Laurel, NJ. Rush is the best band ever! I am writing you because we have a program at school called W.A.T.C.H. It stands for words, actions, thought, character and heart. One of my assignments was to write to a role model in my life. I also play guitar, and I want to be a guitarist just like you. I got the guitar on Christmas and I learned Working Man. Right now I'm learning Limelight. I also play Working Man on Rock Band with my brothers. I hope someday I will see you in a concert! Are you going to write a new song soon? Please write back.

Your fan,
Jakob  smile.gif

Great letter! I really hope that Alex has time to reply him soon.

Good luck! trink39.gif

To All, an update...

A letter postmarked from Toledo, OH with a Canada return address came for Jakob in today's mail. Jakob originally sent three letters, one to the management firm in Canada, one to MSG and one to the venue in Toledo (that was my strategy...less extra stuff going on in a smaller city).

A simple card with frayed edges with the man facing the star logo (raised) on the front was inside the envelope.

Inside it says:

"Jakob,

Happy strumming!"

Perhaps this pick will help you out.

Best wishes,

Alex Lifeson"

(signed)

The pick has Alex's signature on one side and the Time Machine logo on the other. Definitely looked used.

Coolest thing ever for this kid. Thanks to all who replied with their suggestions. This proves that Rush is by far the greatest and classiest band on the planet.

Cheers,

Dave

QUOTE (april81972 @ Apr 23 2011, 09:31 AM)
To All, an update...

A letter postmarked from Toledo, OH with a Canada return address came for Jakob in today's mail. Jakob originally sent three letters, one to the management firm in Canada, one to MSG and one to the venue in Toledo (that was my strategy...less extra stuff going on in a smaller city).

A simple card with frayed edges with the man facing the star logo (raised) on the front was inside the envelope.

Inside it says:

"Jakob,

Happy strumming!"

Best wishes,

Alex Lifeson"
(signed)

The pick has Alex's signature on one side and the Time Machine logo on the other. Definitely looked used.

Coolest thing ever for this kid. Thanks to all who replied with their suggestions. This proves that Rush is by far the greatest and classiest band on the planet.

Cheers,
Dave

This put a huge smile on my face! Nice work!

Aww, what a brilliant result! Really happy to hear that Jakob got a reply back from Alex, I never tire of hearing positive stories like this, love it!

QUOTE (april81972 @ Apr 23 2011, 12:31 PM)
To All, an update...

Inside it says:

"Jakob,

Happy strumming!"

Best wishes,

Alex Lifeson"
(signed)

Cheers,
Dave

This is massively cool.