Clockwork Angels - Your Expectations

That One Guy

There's been a long wait for Clockwork Angels, and it's still going to be another while. They've definitely been taking their time with it. The generally accepted rumor is that it could in fact be their last studio album. They'd love to bust out lots of material like the good old days, but the cash cow is touring.

We've heard two songs thus far from the album, and probably won't be seeing more than that until the official Clockwork Angels Tour. These two songs are generally favored, and they were definitely executed well live. There's talk from the band of an extended track appearing on the album, to everyone's delight.

What are your expectations for the upcoming album? What do you expect, what do you predict, and what's your take on it?

2.gif

There's a couple things I am hoping for. I'll jot them down.

1. Axe-shredding from Alex. His guitar was pretty pronounced on S&A, but I would love it if Alex would get more technical with his playing, like the good old days, a la Hemispheres.

2. The epic. I sure hope this much-awaited feature of the album doesn't become a pipe dream. More importantly, I wonder what the lyrical matter will be, and how the story will play out through the music.

3. Another big instrumental. All their instrumentals are nice in their own little way, but it's high time to bring out another marvel success like LVS or YYZ. The fans always want more instrumentals.

4. A resolution. Many Rush albums end on an odd note, and a bad closer song can make an album feel out of whack. They got it right with CP and VT, but closers to S&A and T4E were not as streamlined.

ranton.gif I'm basing my two expectations on the new singles and the trends from their recent albums. So we have:

1) More Peart ranting about religion

2) Very few Solos on Alex's part

3) More stuff that sounds a LOT like the new singles

4) 2-3 instrumentals

and IF...IF they follow through on their promise:

5) A 4-7 minute "epic" that will rate as "average" in my book

I'm keeping my expectations low in case we wind up with crap, but I am pleased with their new singles. Hopefully there will only be ONE instrumental, but something tells me otherwise. rantoff.gif

QUOTE (usb_connector @ Feb 9 2011, 04:19 PM)
ranton.gif I'm basing my two expectations on the new singles and the trends from their recent albums. So we have:

1) More Peart ranting about religion
2) Very few Solos on Alex's part
3) More stuff that sounds a LOT like the new singles
4) 2-3 instrumentals

and IF...IF they follow through on their promise:
5) A 4-7 minute "epic" that will rate as "average" in my book

I'm keeping my expectations low in case we wind up with crap, but I am pleased with their new singles. Hopefully there will only be ONE instrumental, but something tells me otherwise. rantoff.gif

It will be this.

Nothing epic coming from Rush anymore. That's just not how they think anymore.

If its better than the last one, that's about all I seriously hope for.

I expect that when the Clockwork Angels tour happens, the dominant theme of this forum will change from people bitching about them touring instead of recording to people bitching about there being too much new material in the setlist.

No idea what to expect, except that it might be somewhere between 2112, Vapor Trails, and Snakes & Arrows, music-and-lyric-wise.

I expect I will love at least half of the songs. That's been true for every album since FBN (okay, maybe excluding CoS).. and that's a lot!

I say bring it on. Besides, given what I see on the "Featured" rack at Best Buy, I'm pretty sure anything Rush releases will be far more impressive.

I really like the 2 new singles and think they are great songs. I've listened to them about 35 times each, and I've come to the conclusion that they are great, heavy hard rock songs, and are FAR better than some of the crap on their last 3 albums imo. The lyrics/vocals are a little bit of a turn off, but the musicianship makes up for it. I'm hoping there will be a bunch of instrumentals, like on S&A. I seriously doubt we will see a song that's longer than 7 minutes, but I would love to see an epic.

I'm staying optimistic, and if the album is like Caravan/BU2B, I think it will be a four star album.

I would be thrilled beyond belief if the album was as good as S&A, but so far we're not off to a good start IMHO.

The only way I can accurately rate the two new songs is to pretend they were on S&A. If they were, BU2B would probably be my least favorite song on the album, and Caravan would be about halfway to 2/3rds down the list. I think half of S&A was great, and Caravan would be a notch or two below those songs.

Honestly, I'm hoping for 2 or 3 great songs. I would be more than satisfied with that at this late point in their career. I wouldn't have thought before S&A that they were even capable of that, since the last material of theirs I liked or loved prior to S&A was on CP, but S&A gave me hope that they've still got some great songs in them. I would love another great instrumental or two, and I would love one or two great songs with vocals. I'm cautiously optimistic that this could happen, only cautiously because of the first two songs we've heard. Only time will tell...

I am expecting between 7 and 10 songs...1 will be an epic, 1 or 2 instrumentals, a slower song about something unusual, the rest will have the flavor of Caravan and BU2B. there will be at least 2 solos. I predict about the same amount of folks that did not like S & A will have the same complaints about CA. I will give it a chance and listen to it many times before I form an opinion but I think I will like it based on the 2 songs already released. Then the CA tour begins and people will bitch that jacob's Ladder is not being played and will want the band to change out some songs for Far Cry, faithless and Workin Them Angels...because they are so awesome!

1022.gif

i don't care for the two new songs so my expectations aren't high. a few things i would like to see is less singing, more room for playing, hoping neil isn't going to try and jam a novel into every song, singer friendly lyrics which will make geddy sound better and make his job easier, less guitar layering, more melodic structures.

Expectations? It's gonna be great, as evidenced by the two singles. Add to the rocking sound the fact that it's a steampunk-inspired CONCEPT ALBUM, and we have reason to be optimistic.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Feb 9 2011, 06:46 PM)
Expectations?  It's gonna be great, as evidenced by the two singles.  Add to the rocking sound the fact that it's a steampunk-inspired CONCEPT ALBUM, and we have reason to be optimistic.

goodpost.gif yes.gif

I expect a Rush album. There will be some songs I like more than others. I expect this will be a story - as I keep saying, BU2B is a character singing - and will follow an epic arch. I expect thoughtful lyrics, awesome drums, shredding from Alex and great bass lines from Geddy.

But I know there will be endless griping here on the Forum.... b_sigh.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Feb 9 2011, 08:46 PM)
Expectations? It's gonna be great, as evidenced by the two singles. Add to the rocking sound the fact that it's a steampunk-inspired CONCEPT ALBUM, and we have reason to be optimistic.

Point well taken, but I like the whole idea of "no expections, no disappointment" because if the album is awesome then no expectations suddlenly become "OMG OMG OMG THIS IS AWESOME".

I did the same thing with AC/DC's Black Ice and now it's one of my favourite non-Rush albums.

QUOTE (usb_connector @ Feb 9 2011, 09:11 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Feb 9 2011, 08:46 PM)
Expectations?  It's gonna be great, as evidenced by the two singles.  Add to the rocking sound the fact that it's a steampunk-inspired CONCEPT ALBUM, and we have reason to be optimistic.

Point well taken, but I like the whole idea of "no expections, no disappointment" because if the album is awesome then no expectations suddlenly become "OMG OMG OMG THIS IS AWESOME".

I did the same thing with AC/DC's Black Ice and now it's one of my favourite non-Rush albums.

it's ok to go in with no expectations but make sure not to listen to a word alex says about any new material. it totally throws you off.

QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ Feb 9 2011, 06:00 PM)
How can you not love CoS?

Because I'm an individual with my own personal tastes in music..?

I like "The Necromancer". And most parts of "Fountain of Lamneth". So it's not like I despise the whole album.

No expectations really. I love Caravan/BU2B. Better than anything on S&A. If the rest of the album is as good and Peart's drumming is as impressive it will be one of their 2 or 3 best since Power Windows. My only hope and what I've missed since HYF is some lengthier guitar solos.

I'm taking a "wait and see" attitude...meaning, I'm not buying it the day it comes out. This will be a first for me in the 29 years of being a Rush fan. I'll wait and hear the reviews from other fans first. And depending on said reviews, will determine whether or not I will even buy a CD.

Personally, I don't really feel that I can "expect" anything from Rush other than that they will always do their own thing. 99.9% of the time, I dig it. They've created so much awesome music, and the two new singles kick ass, so I don't think I will be disappointed. smilies-8579.png

QUOTE (usb_connector @ Feb 9 2011, 11:19 PM)
I'm keeping my expectations low in case we wind up with crap, but I am pleased with their new singles. Hopefully there will only be ONE instrumental, but something tells me otherwise.

My thoughts exactly. Except hopefully there won't be instrumentals.

Archived