Neil Redux

GhostGirl

Y'know, I think it's really great that this thread has been so active lately, I really enjoy reading everyone elses thoughts and opinions. So, thanks y'all! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I know there's a link somewhere out there to Neil reading an excerpt from one of his books, and I have to say it'd be wonderful if there were audio book versions out there with him narrating. (Although, I certainly wouldn't expect that of GR, I think that'd be a step too far, understandably.)

QUOTE (realomind @ Mar 5 2011, 08:14 AM)
Y'know, I think it's really great that this thread has been so active lately, I really enjoy reading everyone elses thoughts and opinions. So, thanks y'all! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I know there's a link somewhere out there to Neil reading an excerpt from one of his books, and I have to say it'd be wonderful if there were audio book versions out there with him narrating. (Although, I certainly wouldn't expect that of GR, I think that'd be a step too far, understandably.)

I know, right? Neil deserves love, too! biggrin.gif

There are excerpts of Neil reading his books on his website, I believe. If there were (or will be) real audiobooks of Neil's writing, I'd certainly listen to them. Neil is so well-spoken and eloquent, it amazes me. He, Geddy and Alex have such soothing voices. [Geddy most of all, but that's not for this thread. tongue.gif] Maybe not Ghost Rider, which is incredibly personal, but his other books, certainly. cool.gif

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Mar 4 2011, 10:13 PM)

Thinking tonight how it bothers me that people should think ill of me. I give them everything onstage, every night, but some want - demand - more. Another unbridgeable divide.
Humphrey Bogart quote: "The only thing I owe the public is a good performance.

It actually saddened me a little, since it seems quite a few people do think ill of him, without even knowing him (as he mentions in the previous paragraph). Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but when it becomes a personal attack, I think that's just going too far.

I'm with you completely, CM! It really angers me when certain people on this board start ragging on Neil. It's all I can do to stay civil. Honestly.

Not long after I joined, there was a thread bitching and moaning about the lyrics of BU2B (and, of course, Faithless). I pointed out that he certainly had the right to be cynical and even a little bitter giving what had been dealt him. Someone (can't remember who) actually wrote that "he should be over it by now, it was 12 years ago." Can you imagine?? That's possibly the most callous thing I've ever read on the Web (been on for over 20 years, too). I was drop-jawed. I had to just leave the thread before I wrote something to get myself banned.

Now I'm rambling! laugh.gif

But, by goddess, don't eff with my band!!! no.gif angry.gif

just want to make sure all you ladies have seen this interview

Neil on Pamela Wallin (who goes out of her way to pronounce his name correctly) - a five-parter, and he's absolutely eloquent and adorable:

Part I (watch 'em all, though, it's a Neilfest): http://www.youtube.com/user/xxxx15us#p/u/10/HyOBNL1PHus

this YT channel belongs to snowdog, he's been posting rare footage like crazy -- he's up to 57 clips, and there's a thread elsewhere on TRF with links. i had no idea Neil was on Politically Incorrect!

WOW.

Oh, wow! I had no idea Neil had been on PI, either. Very interesting... Thanks for the links. I've added them to my favorites cool.gif

So, remember this picture?

http://i56.tinypic.com/unac6.jpg

Well, I asked my daughter, who speaks (and reads and writes) some Japanese if she could give us an idea of what this says. After some deliberation, she says that this is from a magazine article about Rush. The larger print here labels Neil as the "drummer /one who keeps rhythm." The smaller print is simply some bio information.

So, there we have it biggrin.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Mar 6 2011, 06:27 AM)
So, remember this picture?

http://i56.tinypic.com/unac6.jpg

Well, I asked my daughter, who speaks (and reads and writes) some Japanese if she could give us an idea of what this says. After some deliberation, she says that this is from a magazine article about Rush. The larger print here labels Neil as the "drummer /one who keeps rhythm." The smaller print is simply some bio information.

So, there we have it biggrin.gif

Your daughter is so cool. I'd love to know Japanese. [i only know a handful of words and phrases. When spoken, it's relatively easy, but when written, it's total gibberish to me. I couldn't translate this page if I tried. wacko.gif] It's a fascinating language created by a fascinating people. And the fact that it's in a Neil Peart article makes the language even more epic. tongue.gif

By the way, has she said anything about my chibi? biggrin.gif

QUOTE (evilsugar25 @ Mar 6 2011, 07:04 AM)
just want to make sure all you ladies have seen this interview

Neil on Pamela Wallin (who goes out of her way to pronounce his name correctly) - a five-parter, and he's absolutely eloquent and adorable:

Part I (watch 'em all, though, it's a Neilfest): http://www.youtube.com/user/xxxx15us#p/u/10/HyOBNL1PHus

this YT channel belongs to snowdog, he's been posting rare footage like crazy -- he's up to 57 clips, and there's a thread elsewhere on TRF with links. i had no idea Neil was on Politically Incorrect!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NaP0jNsDvA

WOW.

Cheers for the links evilsugar25 new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Like you were saying, I had no idea Neil had been on Poilitically Incorrect either, that was really cool! Man, I'd love to see Neil on Real Time w/Bill Maher, that'd be very interesting to watch. One of the few things I miss about living in the US is HBO and Bill's show.

Gonna go and check out the rest of the youtube footage now, wow, what a treat!

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Mar 5 2011, 07:32 PM)
I'm with you completely, CM! It really angers me when certain people on this board start ragging on Neil. It's all I can do to stay civil. Honestly.

Not long after I joined, there was a thread bitching and moaning about the lyrics of BU2B (and, of course, Faithless). I pointed out that he certainly had the right to be cynical and even a little bitter giving what had been dealt him. Someone (can't remember who) actually wrote that "he should be over it by now, it was 12 years ago." Can you imagine?? That's possibly the most callous thing I've ever read on the Web (been on for over 20 years, too). I was drop-jawed. I had to just leave the thread before I wrote something to get myself banned.

Now I'm rambling! laugh.gif

But, by goddess, don't eff with my band!!! no.gif angry.gif

The heck!? He should be "over it"?! Wow. That's just.. wow.

How can someone say something like that? He lost his wife and daughter in the span of about a year. And then his dog died. I mean, my God, I'd be driven to madness if I lost people that close to me. And this is from a purely psychological standpoint, but you literally can't just "get over" a trauma like that. Whatever idiot said that needs to go back to his Psych course - or at least educate himself on PTSD.

People make me mad sometimes. Most people are great, but some have no filter!

On a lighter note, thanks for the links!! I hadn't seen that Politically Incorrect (I didn't even know such a show existed, eek) but that was great! The other one I'd seen and loved. I think it's funny how Neil seems to "talk with his hands", or at least use a lot of gestures, especially when he's in a situation he seems comfortable in. (I do that too, lol.) I've seen a few Rush interviews where I really questioned the thought put into the questions asked, but that was a good one.

In fact, that interview makes me want to go grab a copy of The Masked Rider. I've done a lot of mission work in the past few years and I think it'd be very interesting to see Neil's views on that part of the world.

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Mar 6 2011, 09:08 PM)
On a lighter note, thanks for the links!! I hadn't seen that Politically Incorrect (I didn't even know such a show existed, eek) but that was great! The other one I'd seen and loved. I think it's funny how Neil seems to "talk with his hands", or at least use a lot of gestures, especially when he's in a situation he seems comfortable in. (I do that too, lol.) I've seen a few Rush interviews where I really questioned the thought put into the questions asked, but that was a good one.
In fact, that interview makes me want to go grab a copy of The Masked Rider. I've done a lot of mission work in the past few years and I think it'd be very interesting to see Neil's views on that part of the world.

i love Bill Maher and watched that show pretty regularly, so i was shocked i had missed it all this time. wow.

yes, Neil is so cute when he's excited about saying something -- he kind of bounces up and down and talks really fast... and i noticed in an effort to calm his hands he SITS on them alot! so adorable.

do get The Masked Rider, if that is the only NP book you don't have. definitely an interesting read. as a matter of fact, based on my interest in his trip, i picked up a book first published in 1897 yesterday, called "Travels in West Africa" by Mary Kingsley. she was a female traveller at the end of the 1800s (extremely rare!) and i'm trying to dig thru to find out if Neil ever read or referenced her work as part of his inspiration to go there. (i kind of feel i read that, but i'm not sure where).

anyway... i think its time for some eye candy.... brb

here we go:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d65/evilsugar25/neil-in-junior-high.jpg

OOPS! not that one!! z7shysterical.gif (awwwww HS Yearbook Neil)

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d65/evilsugar25/neil_80_smile.jpg

better. wub.gif

heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif heart.gif

Edited by evilsugar25

http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx318/realomind/37626_113999355315723_100001169771361_97842_8112223_n.jpg

http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx318/realomind/n1202058826_30088166_7944.jpg

Edited by realomind

http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx318/realomind/29148_101901676525491_100001169771361_15571_4487611_n.jpg

http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx318/realomind/58035_1649073901253_1069134437_1804054_6057582_n.jpg

Nothin' new, but, nice all the same wink.gif

• Like 1

http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx318/realomind/pewtour12.jpg

http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx318/realomind/rush-colour145.jpg

• Like 1

QUOTE (evilsugar25 @ Mar 8 2011, 03:42 AM)
QUOTE (realomind @ Mar 7 2011, 10:15 PM)

Nothin' new, but, nice all the same wink.gif

nice! i don't have either of these - thank you!

no worries! trink39.gif

I am really enjoying watching these old clips. Really cool stuff. But, while watching the Pamela Wallin interview, it really struck me that we lost THAT Neil when he lost his family. He's so open and gregarious and funny and just looking like he's really enjoying himself. Having missed most anything (okay pretty much everything) about Rush during the late 80s and 90s, I never saw this "version" of him. Now I understand why he refers to himself pre-GR as "that guy." It really makes me sad. Now yes, I know he is happy again and has love and a family... but he's a different man. Maybe that's one reason I love to see him smile - it reaffirms that, deep down, "that guy" still exists in some way.

Geez, I can't really explain this... I hate to dwell on the past and revisit "all that" but... I don't know. I'm losing my facility to be clear right now. I'm sorry. But if anyone can really grok this, it's the Neil ladies.

So, enough of that.. how about a couple of pictures?

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/Rush/news_neilpeartapp.jpg

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/Rush/PC300135.jpg

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Mar 8 2011, 12:45 AM)
I am really enjoying watching these old clips. Really cool stuff. But, while watching the Pamela Wallin interview, it really struck me that we lost THAT Neil when he lost his family. He's so open and gregarious and funny and just looking like he's really enjoying himself. Having missed most anything (okay pretty much everything) about Rush during the late 80s and 90s, I never saw this "version" of him. Now I understand why he refers to himself pre-GR as "that guy." It really makes me sad. Now yes, I know he is happy again and has love and a family... but he's a different man. Maybe that's one reason I love to see him smile - it reaffirms that, deep down, "that guy" still exists in some way.

Geez, I can't really explain this... I hate to dwell on the past and revisit "all that" but... I don't know. I'm losing my facility to be clear right now. I'm sorry. But if anyone can really grok this, it's the Neil ladies.

i totally understand what you are saying. it's impossible for someone to have been through what he has and not be changed; especially when you are as sensitive (his word, not mine!) as he is, obviously one to think (and think, and think...) about things.

it is amazing the life he's had when you look at it. no need to recap here, but it's quite something for a farm boy from Canada. ultimate highs and ultimate lows. to me, that is an experience that an old, evolved soul draws on this planet.... old.gif

well hm. now i might be the one who's rambling. fing.gif but yes, obviously he's always going to carry some weight with him (and he knows that others know, and empathize, and that keeps it present between he and everyone, always). even though he has a whole new life now, which is so beautiful. and yes, the spark of that giddy, silly, smiling, smartypants still shines through. and more and more frequently as time goes by.

this picture gives me a lump in my throat. it almost feels too private to look at, but it fills me with love:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d65/evilsugar25/face-to-face.jpg

AAAANYWAY -- only ONE MONTH and two days until the MSG show. i'm so pumped. and i think i just scored a second row Geddyside for Baltimore today.

one of my all time, faves, i like to pretend NP is looking at *me* across the room like that... sigh... heart.gif

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d65/evilsugar25/rush_70s_dressingrm_circus.jpg

time for more YouTube! popcorn.gif

• Like 1

QUOTE (evilsugar25 @ Mar 8 2011, 03:09 AM)

i totally understand what you are saying. it's impossible for someone to have been through what he has and not be changed; especially when you are as sensitive (his word, not mine!) as he is, obviously one to think (and think, and think...) about things.

it is amazing the life he's had when you look at it. no need to recap here, but it's quite something for a farm boy from Canada. ultimate highs and ultimate lows. to me, that is an experience that an old, evolved soul draws on this planet.... old.gif

well hm. now i might be the one who's rambling. fing.gif but yes, obviously he's always going to carry some weight with him (and he knows that others know, and empathize, and that keeps it present between he and everyone, always). even though he has a whole new life now, which is so beautiful. and yes, the spark of that giddy, silly, smiling, smartypants still shines through. and more and more frequently as time goes by.

Beautifully said, evilsugar25. I agree with all of that. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

It saddens me to watch videos prior to 1997, especially in the early 90s, knowing what happened to Neil. He's smiling and joking, almost carefree, in the majority of those interviews. Just knowing that a few years down the road all that happiness will be virtually stolen from him is heart-breaking. sad.gif

But despite all of that, he has again found happiness and love. He has a family again and is working with the band that we all know and love, again. The man he once was still exists. "That guy" is still in him. Neil is a person of incredible character to have survived all he survived. If a God does exist, God bless him. heart.gif

Whoa, I'm so sentimental today. laugh.gif

QUOTE (NobodysHeroine @ Mar 9 2011, 01:46 PM)
QUOTE (evilsugar25 @ Mar 8 2011, 03:09 AM)

Beautifully said, evilsugar25. I agree with all of that. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

It saddens me to watch videos prior to 1997, especially in the early 90s, knowing what happened to Neil. He's smiling and joking, almost carefree, in the majority of those interviews. Just knowing that a few years down the road all that happiness will be virtually stolen from him is heart-breaking. sad.gif

But despite all of that, he has again found happiness and love. He has a family again and is working with the band that we all know and love, again. The man he once was still exists. "That guy" is still in him. Neil is a person of incredible character to have survived all he survived. If a God does exist, God bless him. heart.gif

Whoa, I'm so sentimental today. laugh.gif

You girls are right. Sometimes I get overly maudlin unsure.gif

Watching the interview with John Roberts from CNN from last September, I could see "that guy" reappearing. Neil talked more than anyone else! I wonder if he has any Italian back there in his heritage... he talks with his hands so much laugh.gif Of course, that's what he does all the time, doesn't he?

That picture of he and his new baby... I get the same feeling when I see it. It's so wonderful. I feel so happy for him. wub.gif

Anyroad.... this is one of my favorite pics of The Professor at work. It encapsulates the precision and care that he puts into his job of "hitting things with sticks"

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/168374_171994849504121_100000808219598_328473_7512665_n.jpg

... oh, but you do so much more. yes.gif

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss329/GoodCompany/Neil%20Peart/post-18-1152591388.jpg

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss329/GoodCompany/Neil%20Peart/practicing.jpg

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss329/GoodCompany/Neil%20Peart/90pic14.jpg

Aww. wub.gif

• Like 1

QUOTE (Force Ten @ Mar 12 2011, 01:51 PM)

Aww. wub.gif

Awwwww, cheer up, Pratt. The Neil nymphs don't want to see you sad. Even I don't, and I'm a Geddy girl. hug2.gif

QUOTE (NobodysHeroine @ Mar 12 2011, 01:07 PM)
QUOTE (Force Ten @ Mar 12 2011, 01:51 PM)

Aww.  wub.gif

Awwwww, cheer up, Pratt. The Neil nymphs don't want to see you sad. Even I don't, and I'm a Geddy girl. hug2.gif

Aww..

I second that, Kahme.

So many emotions in this shot. I doubt it was intentional in the most basic sense of the word, but what a fantastic capture nonetheless. Shots like these make me want to be a photographer!

(...They also make me sigh and smile kind of sadly. Neil just has that effect on me. laugh.gif)

I'm about forty pages away from completing Roadshow! I'll be sad when it's over.. so I'll just re-read it. Or something. Such a fascinating read. I want so much to just write him a letter, just a note, saying thank you, but words just wouldn't be adequate.

I hate how I can write novels, stories, essays, poems, etc. as easily as breathing, but trying to write a letter to someone I admire so deeply is such a challenge!