Alex Lifeson confirms Vapor Trails re-mix.

D3strukt

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Phantom @ Feb 5 2011, 06:12 AM)
My brother is a recording engineer, who listened to this album with me, in studio when it first came out. Commented to me that there was definitely an " overcompression ". Emailed him yesterday to ask if from what he knew of the process, could the work be " fixed " without re-recording.... Got this email this morning...

" I have been a recording engineer for over 30 years. My brother is a huge Rush fan and sent me this link/thread. If this is the album I'm thinking of, I had the opportunity to host a workshop with Paul Northfield shortly after it's release. He wasn't there for the mastering process and was very dissappointed in how it turned out. It was severely over compressed making it very loud but with very little dynamic range. The same thing was true of the first DVD they put out ( the one from Brazil? )

It can definitely be fixed without re-recording anything. It may be able to be fixed with re-mastering alone, or depending on how much compression was done in the mix, remixing.

Overcompression is a common issue these days. If you listen to an old cd, and compared it to something more recent, you'll see what I mean. New CD's are much louder but have no dynamic range. This is a problem in the music industry in general. The thing is, a band like Rush can really sound great with a dynamic mix and mastering job, and the technology has never been better able to provide this. My hat's off to them for going back and trying to improve on it "

I'm encouraged by what my brother has to say about the likelihood of the album being fixable. He's highly regarded in his industry as being among the best at what he does....

Rush should hire him to re-mix !!!!

That's a great explanation of what happened to VT. The band doesn't have to re-record a single note of the album; it's a problem with the mastering and that can easily be fixed.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 5 2011, 07:19 AM)
If I recall correctly, the band has mentioned re-mixing this album before, and it didn't happen then.

Somehow I doubt this is going to actually happen, or in anything resembling the near future.

First off, they're too busy making money touring to even record their new album, much less go back and re-mix an old one that they'll be lucky to sell a few thousand copies of. No money, no motivation. Just my opinion...

I think the band are going to leave the re-mixing work in the hands of Rich Chycki.

Alex and Rich Chycki are the ones pretty much involved in the audio mix of things regarding the albums and DVD's.

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Feb 5 2011, 11:57 AM)
QUOTE (Phantom @ Feb 5 2011, 06:12 AM)
My brother is a recording engineer, who listened to this album with me, in studio when it first came out. Commented to me that there was definitely an " overcompression ". Emailed him yesterday to ask if from what he knew of the process, could the work be " fixed " without re-recording.... Got this email this morning...

" I have been a recording engineer for over 30 years. My brother is a huge Rush fan and sent me this link/thread. If this is the album I'm thinking of, I had the opportunity to host a workshop with Paul Northfield shortly after it's release. He wasn't there for the mastering process and was very dissappointed in how it turned out. It was severely over compressed making it very loud but with very little dynamic range. The same thing was true of the first DVD they put out ( the one from Brazil? )

It can definitely be fixed without re-recording anything. It may be able to be fixed with re-mastering alone, or depending on how much compression was done in the mix, remixing.

Overcompression is a common issue these days. If you listen to an old cd, and compared it to something more recent, you'll see what I mean. New CD's are much louder but have no dynamic range. This is a problem in the music industry in general. The thing is, a band like Rush can really sound great with a dynamic mix and mastering job, and the technology has never been better able to provide this. My hat's off to them for going back and trying to improve on it "

I'm encouraged by what my brother has to say about the likelihood of the album being fixable. He's highly regarded in his industry as being among the best at what he does....

Rush should hire him to re-mix !!!!

That's a great explanation of what happened to VT. The band doesn't have to re-record a single note of the album; it's a problem with the mastering and that can easily be fixed.

In that case, they can leave off 23 Geddys per song and hack off four or five songs completely...

QUOTE (RushFanForever @ Feb 5 2011, 12:09 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 5 2011, 07:19 AM)
If I recall correctly, the band has mentioned re-mixing this album before, and it didn't happen then.

Somehow I doubt this is going to actually happen, or in anything resembling the near future.

First off, they're too busy making money touring to even record their new album, much less go back and re-mix an old one that they'll be lucky to sell a few thousand copies of.  No money, no motivation.  Just my opinion...

I think the band are going to leave the re-mixing work in the hands of Rich Chycki.

Alex and Rich Chycki are the ones pretty much involved in the audio mix of things regarding the albums and DVD's.

well they've still got to pay him to do it, and they'll probably lose money on the whole venture. don't hold your breath...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 5 2011, 12:37 PM)
There was the R30 tour which supported an EP of cover tunes, then the (IMHO) unnecessary 2nd leg of the S&A tour, and now not one, but TWO tours supporting a single.  For me their last 3 tours supported nothing but two new songs.  And the theme of the last two tours?  The Time Machine Tour - nostalgia for past glories like Moving Pictures in its entirety.

Again, that's fine and that's their prerogative, but that's not the Rush I knew growing up where they toured to support new albums...

But you even admit that this is just the way you're choosing to see things. The actual facts are that Feedback is an album, even if you don't consider it one, that doesn't change the fact that it is an album, so therefore R30 was supporting an album. S&A was also a tour in support of a new album, yet somehow you're saying the second leg invalidates that completely. While the Time Machine tour is not promoting an album, they specifically let it be known beforehand that they were trying something new by touring in order to get in their best playing condition before finishing the new album. Yes, they've added a second leg, because the tour is successful. That in no way means CA is not coming out. Doing this one tour that is not promoting a new album does not make them a nostalgia act. If "for you the last three tours supported nothing but two new songs", it's unfortunate that you see it that way, but it's just your perception, not the truth.

laugh.gif

gang up on me all you want, i still see things the way i see them. rush are cashing in and touring without really releasing any new material - S&A leg two and Time Machine leg one and two. like i said, that's their prerogative. they can do what they want. some people want to look on the bright side of it, always give them the benefit of the doubt no matter what and be deliriously glass half full about anything Rush. that's fine too, that's your prerogative. i'm just being realistic from what it looks like to me.

What exactly are we giving them the benefit of the doubt for? I have no doubt they are doing exactly what they want to do, which is consistently how they've behaved for 30+ years. I don't see how touring is less noble than recording.

So they want to play more shows and people want them to do it. Where is the issue? That some fans would rather have a new album? You can't please everyone, and Rush has never tried.

And anyway, Rushgoober, you already know you aren't going to love the new album so it shouldn't be too much of a dissapointment!

Since I haven't heard the remixes since they were released, I just dug up my copy of Retrospective 3 and listened to the remixes and originals side-by-side.

Call it a draw. There are things I like about the remixes (more layers, and the drums sound much more defined), but there's still not nearly enough bottom end for them to be definitively better than the original.

To me it's like the Beatles mono and stereo reissues. It's worth having both.

QUOTE (Shreddy Lee @ Feb 4 2011, 02:02 AM)
QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Feb 3 2011, 08:47 PM)
The remixes sounded a lot clearer, but they're stripped of their "balls". It's like they took a couple VT tracks and tried to make them sound like Presto.

Yep, that about sums it up perfectly.

Exactly my thoughts too.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Feb 5 2011, 09:40 PM)
RE:Work schedule: You'd think no band has ever toured more than one year on the same album before. Christ.

Sure, some do when they have a wildly successful album that warrants it. S&A was not that album. When I saw them that tour, most of the audience got real quiet when they played their new songs. Only the hardcore fans who would show up no matter what got excited. For the Time Machine Tour, there was no album at all.

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Feb 5 2011, 10:05 PM)
I have no doubt they are doing exactly what they want to do, which is consistently how they've behaved for 30+ years. I don't see how touring is less noble than recording.

So they want to play more shows and people want them to do it. Where is the issue? That some fans would rather have a new album? You can't please everyone, and Rush has never tried.

I also have no doubt they're doing exactly what they want to do and that they always have. Continuing to tour instead of recording is a choice, and it's usually the choice of a nostalgia act. More or less noble? I would say less, but that's obviously debatable.

In terms of "some fans would rather have a new album," I would say it's more "most fans," as evidenced by these two polls:

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=33283

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=52058

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Feb 5 2011, 10:05 PM)
And anyway, Rushgoober, you already know you aren't going to love the new album so it shouldn't be too much of a dissapointment!

Not true at all. Of the 13 songs on S&A, I thought 6 of them were really great, and 2 others were very good. They proved conclusively that they can still make some great music. It's easily their best since CP, and before that HYF. And while yes, I don't think CA is off to a great start, I'm still very hopeful that there will at least 2 or 3 great songs on there, hopefully more. I can only imagine that had they been releasing albums more than once every five years, they would have produced even more great music, just with the law of averages if nothing else.

What happened to the days when Geddy's bass work was interesting with only one recorded part instead of three bass tracks all over the place and the same with Alex's guitar, one track with minimal overdubs not endless multi-tracking without space and choirs of Geddy's on every song? Bring back the keyboards and cut the multi-tracking guitar nonsense!

QUOTE (New Digital Man @ Feb 6 2011, 10:57 AM)
What happened to the days when Geddy's bass work was interesting with only one recorded part instead of three bass tracks all over the place and the same with Alex's guitar, one track with minimal overdubs not endless multi-tracking without space and choirs of Geddy's on every song? Bring back the keyboards and cut the multi-tracking guitar nonsense!

i'd like to see that. allow more space, less guitar layering, and less ooo's and ahh's from geddy. plug it in and jam and turn off the computer. comp26.gif

Archived