Taking Daughter to Rush Concert?

Test4Eco23

I took my 11-year-old daughter (who turns 12 today, I Love You Al) last summer to Nationwide Arena in August along with my wife and sister and she had a blast. I took all angles to make sure this was the first "real" concert she would ever see in-person because there are other groups she wanted to see like Paramore which was in town about 2 months before. I told her that night as she went to bed that now if you want to go see other concerts as long as we approve of the act it's fine... biggrin.gif

I would say if she is into Rush then go for it. Rush fans are the absolute best.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My son will turn 7 this week. There is no way I would ever take him. First off, going to see a rock show is more of a "get away" to be with my good friends(adults). That's just me. I have two other boys(both in diapers) so I don't get a "break" too often. I guess every kid is different, but my son would not enjoy a three hour rock concert. He has no interest in Rush or rock music at this point(and I don't force it on him). Right now he is obsessed with Spongebob and playing his Wii games. Maybe when he gets older and his musical tastes evolve I would take him, but never before he was 12 years old. My seven year old is in bed by 8 PM each night so how in the world could I expect him to make it through a long rock concert? confused13.gif There will be pot smoke, some foul language, some drunks, etc. In my opinion just not the place for small children. Sorry to be the party pooper since it looks like I'm in the minority. The last and most important reason why I would never take my seven year old son to a Rush(or any rock) concert would be that there is no shot in hell that my wife would allow it!!! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Mills1988 @ Mar 6 2011, 10:44 PM)
My son will turn 7 this week. There is no way I would ever take him. First off, going to see a rock show is more of a "get away" to be with my good friends(adults). That's just me. I have two other boys(both in diapers) so I don't get a "break" too often. I guess every kid is different, but my son would not enjoy a three hour rock concert. He has no interest in Rush or rock music at this point(and I don't force it on him). Right now he is obsessed with Spongebob and playing his Wii games. Maybe when he gets older and his musical tastes evolve I would take him, but never before he was 12 years old. My seven year old is in bed by 8 PM each night so how in the world could I expect him to make it through a long rock concert? confused13.gif There will be pot smoke, some foul language, some drunks, etc. In my opinion just not the place for small children. Sorry to be the party pooper since it looks like I'm in the minority. The last and most important reason why I would never take my seven year old son to a Rush(or any rock) concert would be that there is no shot in hell that my wife would allow it!!! laugh.gif

Yeah. You may get slammed...but not from me. You make good points. Although I don't thinking staying up late ONE night is that big of a deal.....

True, it should be based on whether or not you think your child would ENJOY it. It doesn't sound like yours will. Fair enough.

I would largely disagree with you about the crowd issues though. I don't see much "adult" behavior at a Rush show. Plus, most concert goers are mature enough to watch their language etc. if they see kids around.

Strangely, I run into more inappropriate behavior at a College Football game then at a Rush concert. True, they don't smoke dope at those games - but other than that it gets pretty rowdy.

You also make a good point about not wanting to "be responsible" for your child's enjoyment.

Plus, at the rate they're going, Rush will probably still be playing in a few years when your child IS old enough wink.gif

Have a great time!

Clem

I took my son at 4 years old and he had a blast. I took him again last year at 6 and he had an even better time. If fact the Manager even came out and gave him a pair of sticks. He had a cool shirt that said

" Future Drummer Need Sticks"

This year not only am I taking my son, now 7 I am taking my 4 year old daughter.

Ear plugs and bathroom breaks are a must. Look at the setlist and time bathroom breaks accordingly to slow parts of the concert, even if they say they don't have to go!!!

Here's to my son and his 3rd 2.gif concert at 7 years old!!!

If my kid was not such a huge Rush fan (he is 6 and saw his first show last year and loved every minute of it and I am taking him to Kiss tonight and he is dressing up as Gene Simmons...yeah he loves them too) he would not be going to the concert. Other than Rush and tonight with Kiss I will never take him to any other rock show till he hits the age of at least 12. That was the age of my first concert (Rush Signals tour). I am a bit more liberal but Rush and Kiss are tame crowds and most of us are a bunch of late 30's and 40 somethings hanging out and introducing our kids to the music. But again if your kid is not a super fan...don't bother. I like many go to many rock concerts to escape and have adult fun. But wow when i say my son is a fan....he is a fan. He also plays the drums (I mean he really plays) and he idolizes Neil. He knows well over 50 Rush songs and sings along...so he really does enjoy it and is not your typical 6 year old who get's bored 1 hour into the show and needs to go to the bathroom every half hour.

It really depends on your kids temperment.

Just my 2 cents.

QUOTE (Mills1988 @ Mar 6 2011, 10:44 PM)

I'm with you on this one.

Went to Kiss last night....let me tell you...there must have been a ration of 3-1 adults to kids under 10.

Total family concert experience. My son had a total blast. He was rocking out with other kids in our isle.

No foul language of any kind from Gene or Paul. They put on a great show last night.

Again when it comes to Rush and Kiss it is truly more of a family concert these days. This is not 1981, 1991 or even 2002 anymore.

80% of us have kids and are sharing our music with them to keep it going for generations.

There was no pot smoking at all at this show.

Yeah a few people were drunk but my kid had no clue and was totally focused on the show the entire night.

Edited by Todem