Neil's new book

Rod in Toronto

QUOTE (Cygnals @ Jan 28 2011, 06:14 PM)
And strangely too, how reclusive Neil can be at times, he's probably the one member of Rush who exposes his life more to us than the the other two.

interesting observation!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Sir Lerxst @ Jan 27 2011, 08:36 PM)

You mean like this?
http://209.85.62.24/67/52/0/p212360/Neil_P...sic_Chapter.mp3
(One chapter from Travelling Music)

thanks for posting the link... I prefer to read books rather than listen to them, however, it is interesting to hear an author read his/her own work aloud. Hearing the cadence of speech and where emphasis is placed adds a certain other dimension to the work.

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jan 28 2011, 10:23 AM)
I plan to buy the book.. only after someone's finished reading it!

you cheap bastard! tongue.gif

wanna go half-sies on the book?

You can read it first while the pages are still clean and crisp. Then, when done, give to me to read and place on my bookshelf biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Cygnals @ Jan 28 2011, 11:14 PM)
And strangely too, how reclusive Neil can be at times, he's probably the one member of Rush who exposes his life more to us than the the other two.

My thoughts exactly ('cept you worded it better than I would have laugh.gif ), glad someone else picked up on that.

QUOTE (realomind @ Jan 29 2011, 10:14 AM)

My thoughts exactly ('cept you worded it better than I would have laugh.gif ), glad someone else picked up on that.

I've pointed this out before. I really don't understand why Neil Peart gets such a bad rap around here. Neil Peart has revealed more about what makes Rush unique than Geddy Lee or Alex Lifeson ever have.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jan 29 2011, 10:23 AM)

I've pointed this out before.

So have I, but I'm glad other people are picking up on this.

As "private" as he is, we actually know more about his personal life and his thoughts than we do about the other two guys, combined! He obviously has no problem sharing his life with us, it just has to be on his terms - within the pages of a book he wrote.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jan 30 2011, 09:54 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jan 29 2011, 10:23 AM)

I've pointed this out before.

So have I, but I'm glad other people are picking up on this.

As "private" as he is, we actually know more about his personal life and his thoughts than we do about the other two guys, combined! He obviously has no problem sharing his life with us, it just has to be on his terms - within the pages of a book he wrote.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (reani14 @ Jan 30 2011, 09:54 AM)
i'll get it just because it's him..

No offense to him or his writing, but I really think Rush fans are just about his only readers.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jan 30 2011, 09:59 AM)

No offense to him or his writing, but I really think Rush fans are just about his only readers.

The truth of the matter is that Neil would really rather be universally famous as an intellectual giant, rubbing elbows with the likes of Dawkins and other trendy cerveau-du-jour preachers, rather than being a "lowly" prog-rock drummer/lyricist with trekkie-like following.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jan 30 2011, 09:59 AM)

Egg Zakk Lee

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jan 30 2011, 12:17 PM)
The truth of the matter is that Neil would really rather be universally famous as an intellectual giant, rubbing elbows with the likes of Dawkins and other trendy cerveau-du-jour preachers, rather than being a "lowly" prog-rock drummer/lyricist with trekkie-like following.

Everybody needs a dream and something which to aspire, Gemini!

Neil is accomplished at his job as a prog-rock drummer/lyricist; he has achieved success in his career, so why not pursue his quest after fame as a cerveau-du-jour if only among his fandom?

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jan 30 2011, 01:43 PM)
I'm thinking of getting it and mailing it into a venue for him to sign. I'll probably never read it, but that would be cool.

Maybe if you dog-ear a few of the pages and break the spine of the book, you could fool Neil into thinking you actually read and appreciate his literary work and he'd be more inclined to take the time to give you his autograph wink.gif

QUOTE (summer_sky @ Jan 30 2011, 06:47 PM)
I'm thinking of getting it and mailing it into a venue for him to sign. I'll probably never read it, but that would be cool.

Maybe if you dog-ear a few of the pages and break the spine of the book, you could fool Neil into thinking you actually read and appreciate his literary work and he'd be more inclined to take the time to give you his autograph wink.gif

laugh.gif goodpost.gif

QUOTE (summer_sky @ Jan 30 2011, 01:47 PM)

laugh.gif

I've started his other books and found them interesting, but never found the time to finish them.

QUOTE (slappa_da_bass @ Jan 30 2011, 02:55 PM)
Question: I haven't got any of Neil's books but I'd like to change that, do you think this one would make sense to read first? Or should I start at the beginning?

You're far more intelligent than Neil, why waste your time?

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jan 30 2011, 12:24 PM)
Neil's writing is more like rambling. It's not focused or streamlined.

That's what I've noticed. It's literally the only thing that bugs me about his writing.

But -- it's a travelogue, more or less. They can get to be that way. He goes off on these tangents all the time, but his transitions are fairly clear and his writing style's intriguing enough that I keep reading.

And I had to laugh at the comment that most of his readers (if not nearly all of them) are probably Rush fans... But I've talked about his writing to some of my friends and they've expressed interest in borrowing Roadshow from me when I'm done with it. (I don't know if I'll be willing to part with it, though. ph34r.gif I rarely let people borrow things from me..)

QUOTE (slappa_da_bass)
Question: I haven't got any of Neil's books but I'd like to change that, do you think this one would make sense to read first? Or should I start at the beginning?

I started with Ghost Rider. Especially in Roadshow, he occasionally will reference back to Traveling Music or the aforementioned book, but I'd say start wherever you like.

QUOTE (slappa_da_bass @ Jan 30 2011, 02:55 PM)

Start with Ghost Rider . The first book is The Masked Rider and is about his trip in Africa schla03.gif imo.

Archived