The power of RUSH.

Hoovermac

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Jan 25 2011, 01:22 PM)
I'm a little creeped out by the crying as well. This forum creeps me out sometimes.

Although I've never personally cried to music (reread the first post laugh.gif ), I see how some people do. How is it any different than crying while watching a movie, show, reading a book, etc. People are emotional creatures, and for many people, music can relate to some personal experiences. For example, try listening to the song Here Today by Paul McCartney after losing someone close to you.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (g under p @ Jan 25 2011, 12:54 AM)
I'll try to be brief....

I'm a nurse caring for a 77 year old patient who has altzheimer and a holocaust survivor. His 6 hour testimony is in the Holocaust Museum in DC. Some time after he told me his story of his survival I thought is was from a hollywood movie.

Anyway, one day just to past the time I slipped in Grace Under Pressure and just let it play. When it reached Red Sector A I was particularly interesting in seeing his reaction. Surprisingly he had none he just quietly asked "play that one again". I did and the tears started to roll and I cried right along with him, all he could say was....."it's true, it's true". He asked what was the name of the song and I told him and he just shook his head. I printed out the words to RSA and he wouldn't stop reading them.

He lost his mother, father and a brother. He was able to escape with only his sister and had to be seperated from her just to survive. That was almost two years ago and his wife not too long ago asked me to work with him again. I was the only one who could find ways to keep him calm in diffcult situations he faced every day dealing with this disease. He had to be hospitalized as the disease consumed his mind. I'm going to try and see him now that I'm back here in the DC Metro area just so I can maybe bring a spark back into his life.

He was no rocker but he sure loved listening to that album just I do too.

Peace

And that, my friends, is the power of Rush. I've been listening to Grace Under Pressure a lot recently, and it is one of my favorite albums.

There's a few Rush songs that get to me sometimes.....Time Stand Still, Afterimage, Mission, Presto, Available Light, How It Is, Vapor Trail...

The bridge part of Face Up I've always really liked...."you get all squeezed up inside like the days were carved in stone/you get all wiled up inside and it's bad to be alone/You can go out and take a ride and you get out on your own/you get all smoothed out inside and it's good to be alone".

Those words and the music they put to it hit so close to home, especially when I have that cranked up loud on a weekend ride alone just to get away from home and clear my thoughts

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jan 25 2011, 07:13 PM)
Rush does have emotional songs like Afterimage and The Pass, but none of them are so emotional that they make me cry. I just don't get that sad or emotional from a song, by Rush or any other band.

That maybe true to some extent however, when you hear a story like I did from my former patient in detail it's quite easy to get emotional. I cried with him in feeling his pain for what he went through at such a young age and the hellish disease that was eating away at his mind.

The song Red Sector A only reminded both of us what it was like to escape and survive the nightmare of the Holocaust.

Peace

QUOTE (Hoovermac @ Jan 25 2011, 03:10 PM)
I'm a little creeped out by the crying as well. This forum creeps me out sometimes.

Although I've never personally cried to music (reread the first post laugh.gif ), I see how some people do. How is it any different than crying while watching a movie, show, reading a book, etc. People are emotional creatures, and for many people, music can relate to some personal experiences. For example, try listening to the song Here Today by Paul McCartney after losing someone close to you.

Yes, but that's different. Rush's music is not meant to evoke an emotional response, but largely an intellectual one. I've heard numerous people on here say they've cried over 2112. Like, really?

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Jan 25 2011, 07:13 PM)
Rush does have emotional songs like Afterimage and The Pass, but none of them are so emotional that they make me cry. I just don't get that sad or emotional from a song, by Rush or any other band.

i know how you feel. i get emotional when i hear bytor and the snowdog. 1022.gif

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Jan 25 2011, 09:30 PM)

Yes, but that's different. Rush's music is not meant to evoke an emotional response, but largely an intellectual one. I've heard numerous people on here say they've cried over 2112. Like, really?

A mastery of one's range of human emotions is a very cerebral accomplishment. Probably the single most overlooked and unfulfilled duty in current human culture. I mean, your own user name comes from a song with an overflowing bevy of poignant lyrics on emotion and the human condition -- were you just not paying attention?

QUOTE (slappa_da_bass @ Jan 25 2011, 09:58 PM)

A mastery of one's range of human emotions is a very cerebral accomplishment. Probably the single most overlooked and unfulfilled duty in current human culture. I mean, your own user name comes from a song with an overflowing bevy of poignant lyrics on emotion and the human condition -- were you just not paying attention?

Because it is an intelligent song with several allegorical and metaphorical meanings means that it should make me emotionally invested and, to that effect, make me cry? It's not an emotional song in the least, as aren't a majority of Rush songs, so I see no point to be so emotionally moved by it.

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Jan 25 2011, 10:14 PM)

Because it is an intelligent song with several allegorical and metaphorical meanings means that it should make me emotionally invested and, to that effect, make me cry? It's not an emotional song in the least, as aren't a majority of Rush songs, so I see no point to be so emotionally moved by it.

I never said anything about needing to cry. You said "Like, really?", a expression of great disbelief, in response to the idea of someone crying to 2112. Part of 2112 is extremely emotional, about giving up on life in a world not suited for the character in the song. If you don't cry, okay, but your emotions probably don't bring you to that point about much, if anything in life. But to act like the concept is completely foreign belies your username and the song it springs from. That was my point.

QUOTE (slappa_da_bass @ Jan 25 2011, 10:23 PM)

I never said anything about needing to cry. You said "Like, really?", a expression of great disbelief, in response to the idea of someone crying to 2112. Part of 2112 is extremely emotional, about giving up on life in a world not suited for the character in the song. If you don't cry, okay, but your emotions probably don't bring you to that point about much, if anything in life. But to act like the concept is completely foreign belies your username and the song it springs from. That was my point.

Fair enough. But for some people, it DOES spring such an emotional response that it does make them cry, and it seems a little extreme.

people who cry from listening to songs make me wonder how they function in everyday life. I mean, if a song makes them cry... what do they do when they turn on the evening news? Or see a dead cat in the road? They must go ballistic.

QUOTE (cygnus_thegodofbalance @ Jan 25 2011, 10:25 PM)
QUOTE (slappa_da_bass @ Jan 25 2011, 10:23 PM)

Fair enough. But for some people, it DOES spring such an emotional response that it does make them cry, and it seems a little extreme.

And again my point is it probably just resonates with said person's own personal life more than your own. I doubt that same person cries to *every* Rush song, or even most of them; maybe even just that one. But different people have different life experiences. It may be difficult but you have to try to understand that, to be empathetic.

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but to clarify, I don't start weeping every single time I hear a song that hits me emotionally. Generally it depends what kind of day I'm having or what's on my mind, or if something's happened (as several people before me mentioned).

And keep in mind "emotional" doesn't always have to pertain to a negative emotion! Being at a Rush concert and getting little chills up your spine during a song you really like; getting some kind of adrenaline rush is definitely an emotional response, too. It's just a really good one.

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Jan 25 2011, 11:23 PM)
I can't speak for anyone but myself, but to clarify, I don't start weeping every single time I hear a song that hits me emotionally. Generally it depends what kind of day I'm having or what's on my mind, or if something's happened (as several people before me mentioned).

And keep in mind "emotional" doesn't always have to pertain to a negative emotion! Being at a Rush concert and getting little chills up your spine during a song you really like; getting some kind of adrenaline rush is definitely an emotional response, too. It's just a really good one.

I know what you mean, after hearing for the first time The Camera Eye. I was like wow and I had to take moment and sit down to gather myself. I can't wait to do it ALL again in the opener come March 30 in

South Florida.

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jan 25 2011, 08:28 PM)
people who cry from listening to songs make me wonder how they function in everyday life. I mean, if a song makes them cry... what do they do when they turn on the evening news? Or see a dead cat in the road? They must go ballistic.

Look, you don't understand. We get that. Let it go.

Like CM says, we don't cry EVERY time we hear a certain song. And it's not always sadness. But your continued insistence that those of us who do feel emotion from music are weird in some way is bordering on obnoxious. So enough already, please.

Go check out a book on psychology....

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Jan 25 2011, 11:57 PM)
QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jan 25 2011, 08:28 PM)

Look, you don't understand. We get that. Let it go.

Like CM says, we don't cry EVERY time we hear a certain song. And it's not always sadness. But your continued insistence that those of us who do feel emotion from music are weird in some way is bordering on obnoxious. So enough already, please.

Go check out a book on psychology....

Bordering? laugh.gif

And please, don't taunt him with education, it only angers him.

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jan 25 2011, 10:28 PM)

I hope if and when I get a title on this board, it's Cries At 2112. tongue.gif Yeah, I'm over-the-top with bad jokes too. Like others have said, just the way I am...part of it's that I'm a chick, and a hormonally-soaked one at that. At times it's extremely inconvenient, and absolutely, I wish I could just turn it off, because it can impede rational thought. But many other times, I'm grateful I feel as strongly as I do...it's a great motivator and makes for a wild ride.

Anyway, thanks for reminding me that the other folks at the Rush show might not appreciate me acting like the two guys from I Love You, Man (okay, even I'm probably not that bad). At least we all have Rush in common even though we get something very different from them. Or is it from ourselves.

See, I think too d**n much too. wink.gif

QUOTE (slappa_da_bass @ Jan 25 2011, 10:26 PM)
QUOTE (1 of the 7 @ Jan 26 2011, 12:22 AM)
I'm a chick, and a hormonally-soaked one at that

Hoboy, let's keep it PG-13 here blush4.gif

laugh.gif

That IS PG-13! laugh.gif

But, yeah, that has some to do with it. I remember when I was pregnant, I went to see Edward Scissorhands and I blubbered like a baby at the end. Also, I'm an old lady and as you age that threshold gets smaller and smaller. Add recent losses of family and friends and... well... sad.gif

Man there are some idiots on here. What's to understand? Some people are more sensitive than others and that doesn't make them weird. I think it makes them more compassionate and human. And it is definitely a great thing if you can feel music on a deeper level.

QUOTE (g under p @ Jan 24 2011, 11:54 PM)
I'll try to be brief....

I'm a nurse caring for a 77 year old patient who has altzheimer and a holocaust survivor. His 6 hour testimony is in the Holocaust Museum in DC. Some time after he told me his story of his survival I thought is was from a hollywood movie.

Anyway, one day just to past the time I slipped in Grace Under Pressure and just let it play. When it reached Red Sector A I was particularly interesting in seeing his reaction. Surprisingly he had none he just quietly asked "play that one again". I did and the tears started to roll and I cried right along with him, all he could say was....."it's true, it's true". He asked what was the name of the song and I told him and he just shook his head. I printed out the words to RSA and he wouldn't stop reading them.

He lost his mother, father and a brother. He was able to escape with only his sister and had to be seperated from her just to survive. That was almost two years ago and his wife not too long ago asked me to work with him again. I was the only one who could find ways to keep him calm in diffcult situations he faced every day dealing with this disease. He had to be hospitalized as the disease consumed his mind. I'm going to try and see him now that I'm back here in the DC Metro area just so I can maybe bring a spark back into his life.

He was no rocker but he sure loved listening to that album just I do too.

Peace

That's a great story smile.gif

Archived