Prog drummers

Akron162

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (beforeandafter2112 @ Mar 13 2011, 01:01 AM)
Well, acording to Classic Rocks' Prog mag,
the top 5 drummers

1 Mike Portnoy
2 Gavin Harrison
3 Neil Peart
4 Nick D'Virgilio
5 Jake Bradford-Sharp
653.gif

http://www.rushisaband.com/view_full.php?i...31+Best+Bassist

Now the bitching will begin that Portnoy beat Neil laugh.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 13 2011, 03:14 PM)
QUOTE (beforeandafter2112 @ Mar 13 2011, 01:01 AM)
Well, acording to Classic Rocks' Prog mag,
the top 5 drummers

1 Mike Portnoy
2 Gavin Harrison
3 Neil Peart
4 Nick D'Virgilio
5 Jake Bradford-Sharp
  653.gif

http://www.rushisaband.com/view_full.php?i...31+Best+Bassist

Now the bitching will begin that Portnoy beat Neil laugh.gif

Portnoy bet Neil? Blasphemy rage.gif

Nah, just messing...

I think my list goes somewhat like this:

Gavin

Neil (I like Neil just a little better than Gavin mainly because of neil's drumming on Bravado; so melodic somehow)

Danny carry

Bruford (can't decide between him and Danny for third)

And then Collins/Portnoy (don't know which I like better in terms of taste)

QUOTE (Akron162 @ Jan 22 2011, 05:07 PM)
The other day i was listening to some metal bands, and i notice something that i didn't notice before: all their drummers are awful. They just stick to 2 or 3 movements to the entire song, and in the best case, they just beat the bass drum faster as they can. i always believe that what makes a good drummer is not the fast the play but the quantity of things they can do at the same time, or the quantity of rhythms that pull out in one song. At that point i can say that the best drummers are the ones in prog. They really were machines, they were able to play 20 minutes whitout stop, sound like they had 4 arms and play fast and rhytmically at the same time.

So, tell me what you think of this? You think that some metal drummer can be compared to any prog drummer? What is your favorite in any case?

I love prog rock drummers such as Peart and Bruford (as well as jazz drummers such as Cobham and Jones) but there are many amazing metal drummers as well. Just take Tomas Haake from Meshuggah as an example. He uses the bass drums quite often but he focuses on control rather than speed. Or there's Martin Lopez (former drummer of Opeth) who blends jazzy drumming with a metal style. As far as long songs and endurance go, I can point to Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater in Octavarium and A Change of Seasons as well as Jason Rullo of Symphony X in The Odyssey. It is true though that some drummers (especially in tech-death bands such as Nile and Obscura) do pound on the bass drum as hard and fast as possible but that is only because of the aggressive nature of the song. But metal is a very virtuosic style of music that more often than not demands creativity and technical proficiency rather than pure aggressiveness.

QUOTE (bigkostas @ Jan 30 2011, 12:54 AM)
Dont forget Scott Rockenfield and Mark Zonder.

cheers........................

I agree that Mark Zonder deserves some kudo's. He's a very creative player.

Alan White deserves a honourable mention too.

Where is Mark Zonder anyway? What has he been up to? I heard he quit Fates Warning some time ago to rejoin his high school band or something, but that was the last I've heard of him, and that was a few years ago.

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Jan 30 2012, 11:16 AM)
Where is Mark Zonder anyway? What has he been up to? I heard he quit Fates Warning some time ago to rejoin his high school band or something, but that was the last I've heard of him, and that was a few years ago.

Zonder's drumming with Manchester (UK) band Ten. They're a poppy hard rock band who've been around for ages.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jan 30 2012, 06:37 AM)

Zonder's drumming with Manchester (UK) band Ten. They're a poppy hard rock band who've been around for ages.

Hey, thanks...I'd say Mark is WAY too talented to be playing on a pop/hard rock band. It doesn't seem challenging enough for him, although I haven't heard any of their songs. I wondar what motivated him to leave Fates Warning, which I thought was one of the coolest bands on the planet. Perfect Symmetry, Parallells, A Pleasant Shade of Grey, are all perfect prog metal albums!

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Jan 30 2012, 12:24 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Jan 30 2012, 06:37 AM)

Hey, thanks...I'd say Mark is WAY too talented to be playing on a pop/hard rock band. It doesn't seem challenging enough for him, although I haven't heard any of their songs. I wondar what motivated him to leave Fates Warning, which I thought was one of the coolest bands on the planet. Perfect Symmetry, Parallells, A Pleasant Shade of Grey, are all perfect prog metal albums!

They're not really my thing. The only album I have with Zonder on is by At War With Self.

I think he's just guesting on the Ten album as he is a friend of one of the band members.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jan 30 2012, 12:10 PM)
It has to be Mr. Bruford.

And one more guy, who flies way under the radar, but I've seen him play live 3 times from no more than 10ft away....Guy Evans. The man's a demon.

Living proof it's not how big your kit is, it's how you use it....

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Jan 22 2011, 07:15 PM)
It's gotta be Gavin Harrison. The dude can do anything, and he's incredibly musical as well. The middle of What Happens Now? by Porcupine Tree is totally off-the-charts inspiring.

GH gets my vote!

Billy Cobham. After Buddy Rich, nobody has ever picked up a pair of sticks and played like that, in Any type of music.

QUOTE (jesse2112 @ Jan 29 2011, 04:48 PM)
QUOTE (Cygnals @ Jan 26 2011, 06:38 PM)
Agreed with what has been posted but I would also include Danny Carey of Tool.

goodpost.gif

Yup, another Prog Monster of a drummer.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 30 2012, 04:18 PM)
Billy Cobham. After Buddy Rich, nobody has ever picked up a pair of sticks and played like that, in Any type of music.

goodpost.gif

Though I wouln't file BC under prog, he's more a LOUD fusion player.

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Jan 22 2011, 06:15 PM)
It's gotta be Gavin Harrison. The dude can do anything, and he's incredibly musical as well. The middle of What Happens Now? by Porcupine Tree is totally off-the-charts inspiring.

yes.gif Another vote for Harrison.

QUOTE (Soni @ Jan 30 2012, 01:56 PM)

goodpost.gif

I am going by the fact he was very progressive when he first came out.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 30 2012, 08:28 PM)
QUOTE (Soni @ Jan 30 2012, 01:56 PM)

goodpost.gif

I am going by the fact he was very progressive when he first came out.

He was a Jazz-Rock Fusion pioneer. He's as Prog as they come.