A Show of Hands

micgtr71

It's my favorite era of Rush, so between what I've seen of this and the live GUP stuff, I'm in heaven. I especially love the ASOH Marathon - it's one of those great examples of Geddy multitasking, yet absolutely beaming like he's the happiest guy on earth. Along with the video that plays and the excitement of the crowd, it pushes the emotion I feel from my favorite Rush song right over the top!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The synth era is my favorite Rush era. Yes, yes, I'm a bass player first when it comes to performance, and of course pay homage to the 2112 to MP period...

But it's the sheeer musicality and sonic expression of the synth era that has not been reproduced elsewhere by any band.

Including Rush. ohmy.gif

The studio versions of the songs are like magic incarnate, but the live versions of ASOH sounds, well, cartoony, like their little cartoon avatars suggest. Great personal execution, but lacking the sonic satisfaction that only great production of studio material can relay.

ASOH is not required material. It may be inspired, but it's last in line compared with all the other live Rush material imho.

This would've been a great representation of the synth era and a damn good live album:

Side 1: The Big Money; Subdivisions; Prime Mover; Marathon

Side 2: Turn The Page; Manhattan Project; Red Sector A; Mission

Side 3: FEAR trilogy - The Enemy Within; The Weapon; Witch Hunt; Limelight

Side 4: Between The Wheels; Distant Early Warning; New World Man; Vital Signs

I love ASOH. I really started to drift from Rush during HYF, but kinda rekindled with them for a while when ASOH came out. Its really atmospheric and pulls from many of the better songs from PoW & HYF. If I could tweak the track listing on the 'CD', I would somehow fit Limelight & New World Man on there. Since Lime wasn't on ESL, those were both obvious omissions. Another from GUP, like Enemy Within would've been cool, but Closer To The Heart is the only song I would consider losing, so not enough room on the vinyl format back then.

QUOTE (Todem @ Jan 19 2011, 02:26 AM)
Leaving off:

The Analog Kid
New World Man
The Enemy Within
The Weapon
Between the Wheels
Lock and Key
Middletown Dreams

Was a major letdown for me.

But we've got almost every song of these on some DVD.

This is my favorite live, mostly because PoW and HYF are both top 5 Rush albums for me. I love ASOH and I think it has the best versions of Time Stand Still and CTTH. And the best thing about it is that there are 13 great songs and none of them is Tom Sawyer, YYZ or The Spirit Of Radio. The only bad thing I can say about ASOH is that they should have put Prime Mover on that CD.

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Jan 18 2011, 11:13 PM)
This would've been a great representation of the synth era and a damn good live album:

Side 1: The Big Money; Subdivisions; Prime Mover; Marathon
Side 2: Turn The Page; Manhattan Project; Red Sector A; Mission
Side 3: FEAR trilogy - The Enemy Within; The Weapon; Witch Hunt; Limelight
Side 4: Between The Wheels; Distant Early Warning; New World Man; Vital Signs

Yes, but I might like to add Territories to the list somewhere.

QUOTE (psionic11 @ Jan 18 2011, 10:55 PM)
The synth era is my favorite Rush era. Yes, yes, I'm a bass player first when it comes to performance, and of course pay homage to the 2112 to MP period...

But it's the sheeer musicality and sonic expression of the synth era that has not been reproduced elsewhere by any band.

Including Rush. ohmy.gif

The studio versions of the songs are like magic incarnate, but the live versions of ASOH sounds, well, cartoony, like their little cartoon avatars suggest. Great personal execution, but lacking the sonic satisfaction that only great production of studio material can relay.

ASOH is not required material. It may be inspired, but it's last in line compared with all the other live Rush material imho.

You have a very interesting observation. And I do agree with you on the sonic representation of the PoW and HYF stuff. The studio versions do sound much better.

You nailed it.

But like you said (as well as I in my post) the execution and precision of the performances are very inspiring and being a musician as well I have a deep appreciation of the playing and multi tasking going on between all of them during this concert and period of their music.

QUOTE (Lamelight @ Jan 19 2011, 05:06 AM)
Leaving off:

The Analog Kid
New World Man
The Enemy Within
The Weapon
Between the Wheels
Lock and Key
Middletown Dreams

This is my favorite live, mostly because PoW and HYF are both top 5 Rush albums for me. I love ASOH and I think it has the best versions of Time Stand Still and CTTH. And the best thing about it is that there are 13 great songs and none of them is Tom Sawyer, YYZ or The Spirit Of Radio. The only bad thing I can say about ASOH is that they should have put Prime Mover on that CD.

I know.....I did acknowlegde that. I was just reflecting at the time it was released. I really though we would get some more stuff and that it would be a double disc. But they were not going to make a 4 album set and vinyl was still hanging on in 1988.

QUOTE (Todem @ Jan 19 2011, 05:46 PM)
QUOTE (Lamelight @ Jan 19 2011, 05:06 AM)
Leaving off:

The Analog Kid
New World Man
The Enemy Within
The Weapon
Between the Wheels
Lock and Key
Middletown Dreams

I know.....I did acknowlegde that. I was just reflecting at the time it was released. I really though we would get some more stuff and that it would be a double disc. But they were not going to make a 4 album set and vinyl was still hanging on in 1988.

My bad, didn't think of that perspective

Edit: And didn't read your post too well

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jan 18 2011, 02:34 PM)
The only Rush live album I listen to with any regularity is All the World's a Stage. I can't remember the last time I listened to A Show of Hands.

I'm in this camp.

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Jan 18 2011, 11:59 PM)
Anyways. Ahem, I know you were joking, but I intend on getting my hands on the album eventually. After all, I'm not talented enough to rip audio from a DVD into a format my MP3 player can recognize and I need more CDs for my collection anyways.

..I just can't find albums anywhere (and I don't like buying online. I want to feel the case in my hands).

If you don't have a Best Buy nearby (we have one, and they pretty much have every Rush album), why not use Amazon? You'll feel the case in your hands in five or so business days. laugh.gif I used them when I was buying Yes albums, and was never disappointed. If you do, order through the link on TRF, they get some of the proceeds without you having to pay anything extra.

Also, no, I wasn't joking. Wearing merch and obsessing over Rush doesn't make you a Rush fan - you have to buy all of their albums, even if you think they stopped making good albums in 1981.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jan 19 2011, 09:12 PM)
Anyways. Ahem, I know you were joking, but I intend on getting my hands on the album eventually. After all, I'm not talented enough to rip audio from a DVD into a format my MP3 player can recognize and I need more CDs for my collection anyways.

..I just can't find albums anywhere (and I don't like buying online. I want to feel the case in my hands).

If you don't have a Best Buy nearby (we have one, and they pretty much have every Rush album), why not use Amazon? You'll feel the case in your hands in five or so business days. laugh.gif I used them when I was buying Yes albums, and was never disappointed. If you do, order through the link on TRF, they get some of the proceeds without you having to pay anything extra.

Also, no, I wasn't joking. Wearing merch and obsessing over Rush doesn't make you a Rush fan - you have to buy all of their albums, even if you think they stopped making good albums in 1981.

I'll probably end up giving in and going through Amazon. And I live near a Best Buy, actually within walking distance, but they never have the albums I need in stock. That, and the ones the offer via the internet, I'd have to pay shipping. Which is a pain in itself.

My funds are limited. Cut a girl a break?

(But I think I already know the answer to that question...)

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Jan 19 2011, 10:48 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jan 19 2011, 09:12 PM)

I'll probably end up giving in and going through Amazon. And I live near a Best Buy, actually within walking distance, but they never have the albums I need in stock. That, and the ones the offer via the internet, I'd have to pay shipping. Which is a pain in itself.

My funds are limited. Cut a girl a break?

(But I think I already know the answer to that question...)

I'm kidding. It's all good, I know what you mean about being limited - it took my dad and I a few years to buy Rush's discography. I wish we could have gone every weekend, but it was more like once, maybe twice a month, so it took longer. But eventually we - or I, by that point, since I'd started saving my own money - got all of them.

Also, try and do Best Buy's store pickup, which is like ordering online, but without the shipping charge. You'll have the satisfaction of leaving Best Buy with CD in hand, and you'll only have paid for the CD, no shipping. There's more info on that on Best Buy's site, if you need to clarify anything about it. I might try that with some stuff I'd like to buy.

Archived