School Assignment Help!

VaporTrails04

Hey all, back after a bit of a hiatus...doubt many noticed unsure.gif

Anywho, in my Music and Literature class we have to write a ten page lyric analysis. The requirements: Pick 5 songs that share a common thread, be it artist or theme or both. I immediately decided on Rush and I'm so excited to do this but choosing only 5 songs is near impossible. Just wondering if anybody had any input or suggestions as to which 5 should be my subjects.

I was thinking about analyzing the "epics" but, like is said, the paper is supposed to be 10 pages(12 at the most) and I'm pretty sure 5 epics would be impossible to fit into such a short length.

I would look at Moving Pictures or GUP for starters ,,,,, good music and themes on both records

Hard to list five from separate albums......

I would also look at the Themes of Losing It, Marathon, Mission, Roll the Bones, and Cut to the Chase

Sounds like a fun project ,,, keep us informed

Even if you decide not to include the other epics, 2112 is a must. Camera Eye, Hemispheres Book II, Natural Science those would be good.

Other possibilities...

Limelight, Ghost Rider, Red Barchetta, Subdivisions, Time Stand Still, The Trees, Freewill, Xanadu, Far Cry, Entre Nous, and of course A Passage To Bangkok.

You're right, it IS tough to choose just 5. But looking at just the lyrics, these are some intriguing ones:

The Trees

Open Secrets

Heresy

Chain Lightning

Carve Away The Stone

Let us know how it goes, ok? And welcome back biggrin.gif

I would avoid the epics if I were you. I did a paper on 2112 for my humanities class last term. A thorough analysis of 2112 took me about 10 and a half pages AFTER having trimmed a lot of it down (I analysed pretty much everything from the music composition to symbolism of the lyrics to why each instrument is there and so on).

The paper got me a 92% and personal praise from the teacher.

Anyways, I'd go for something along the lines of man against society.

Red Sector A

The Body Electric

Subdivisions

Tom Sawyer

2112 (I can't think of a fifth ATM)

If it were my assignment i would definitely choose five songs from Power Windows. All the songs concentrate around a central theme of power; the power of money, power of dreams, power of weapons, nationalsm, endurance, supernatural... any five songs from that album would be good choices.

These are all great ideas friends! Thank you very much! I've got a lot to think about.

I was thinking about the Vapor Trails theme, but since it's my favorite album I've pretty much analyzed that front to back already, and I would like to "explore" newer territory. The Fear idea was a good one too.

Thanks again. I'll keep you guys updated.

Perhaps a Fear quintet:

The Enemy Within

The Weapon

Freeze

Armor And Sword

Witch Hunt

The first three songs explore the fear within us and how it affects and controls us. The last two illustrate how we manifest our fears and how we abuse others to satisfy those fears. Scary stuff!! bolt.gif

Or, one could do a more positive theme: Get out there and live life! Enjoy the adventure, don't fear the bad things that happen, savor the good moments, get out there and LIVE.....

Hand Over Fist

Available Light

Time Stand Still

Marathon

Bravest Face

QUOTE (VaporTrails04 @ Jan 16 2011, 10:18 AM)
These are all great ideas friends! Thank you very much! I've got a lot to think about.

I was thinking about the Vapor Trails theme, but since it's my favorite album I've pretty much analyzed that front to back already, and I would like to "explore" newer territory. The Fear idea was a good one too.

trink39.gif

When must the analysis be ready?

Just remember the 'theme' of the assignment. Be sure to focus on the lyrics rather than the music as this appears to me to be a literary assignment. From what you stated it also appears to me that the songs don't have to be from the same artist. Please consider other bands as well.

Anyway, if I were to do a Rush literary theme, I'd probably tie in to the 'Ayn Rand' and discuss:

Anthem

Freewill

Those 3 have strong ties and then I'd probably add:

Natural Science

Something For Nothing

I agree with the "Fear" series...a solid choice, indeed.

My second choice, though not neccessarily a concept album, would be Snakes and Arrows.

I find that Snakes and Arrows really carries a common theme throughout.

I'd pick my favourite five from there.

All the best and as already posted here, be sure to check back and let us know how you made out.

~RGLT

QUOTE (Lamelight @ Jan 16 2011, 09:24 AM)
QUOTE (VaporTrails04 @ Jan 16 2011, 10:18 AM)

trink39.gif

When must the analysis be ready?

I go to a production and recording school so we're on a 10 week quarter. The first analysis is due at midter(week 5) so in about 4 weeks. The second is due as a final.

For those of you wanting the update, I've chosen my five(kinda). I was really hoping to avoid the death/Vapor Trails theme but school has kept me a bit busier than I was expecting, so I stuck with what I know the most. Here's the selection in a sort of sequencial order that I conjured up in my small brain:

Sweet Miracle/Vapor Trail/Nocturne

Ghost Rider

Secret Touch

How It is

One Little Victory

Archived