Money for nothin' banned rom radio in Canada

Tom Sawyer

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 14 2011, 08:08 PM)
QUOTE (VarianStar @ Jan 14 2011, 09:22 AM)
Oh for crying out loud, the song may be bad but it's not homophobic!

Seriously. I tend to be overtly sensitive about things offensive to LGBT people, but this is ridiculous. Yeah, there are some derogatory words in there, but look at the context they're used in. It's clearly not meant that way, and I really doubt that many LGBT people got too freaked out by that song, especially one that's so old. This just seems really silly to me.

This is not about taking things in context. It's simply PC run amok, by a council/panel, no less. The song has been around FOREVER and now it's offensive? The tail is indeed wagging the dog!

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jan 14 2011, 06:13 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 14 2011, 08:08 PM)
QUOTE (VarianStar @ Jan 14 2011, 09:22 AM)
Oh for crying out loud, the song may be bad but it's not homophobic!

Seriously. I tend to be overtly sensitive about things offensive to LGBT people, but this is ridiculous. Yeah, there are some derogatory words in there, but look at the context they're used in. It's clearly not meant that way, and I really doubt that many LGBT people got too freaked out by that song, especially one that's so old. This just seems really silly to me.

This is not about taking things in context. It's simply PC run amok, by a council/panel, no less. The song has been around FOREVER and now it's offensive? The tail is indeed wagging the dog!

Context plays a HUGE role. If the offending word was used in an overtly offensive way, it would be a whole different story. TONS of rap songs contain the N-word, and those songs aren't always exactly banned because of the context. It depends who uses it and how and why. Now I'm not saying your PC gone amok argument has no merit, as it certainly does. Sometimes things are taken way too far - point in fact, a 25 year old song being banned retroactively. Regardless of how you frame it, however, I think we can both agree it's pretty ridiculous.

You know...this whole political correctness thing....f**k it. JUST f**k IT! If I want to say gay, I WILL! Next thing we know, cops will be writing out tickets for using derogitory words because "oh boo hoo they offend people" Those people need to grow the f**k up and stop bitching and crying over f***ing WORDS.

Honestly, shut up!

I will say and do whatever I please and I'm not changing for anybody else! America should follow suit! Put the pledge of allegience back in schools (yes, with "GOD" ohmy.gif in it!) I WILL use the words "gay" and "queer". You gay? Great, I'm totally cool with that! ...still using the words though. Get over it. [/rant]

Sorry, but P.C. really grinds my gears angry.gif

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Jan 15 2011, 06:15 PM)

yes.gif Same here trink39.gif

You know...this whole political correctness thing....f**k it. JUST f**k IT! If I want to say gay, I WILL! Next thing we know, cops will be writing out tickets for using derogitory words because "oh boo hoo they offend people" Those people need to grow the f**k up and stop bitching and crying over f***ing WORDS.

Honestly, shut up!

I will say and do whatever I please and I'm not changing for anybody else! America should follow suit! Put the pledge of allegience back in schools (yes, with "GOD" ohmy.gif in it!) I WILL use the words "gay" and "queer". You gay? Great, I'm totally cool with that! ...still using the words though. Get over it. [/rant]

Amen brother!

Honestly, shut up!

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ Jan 15 2011, 12:14 AM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jan 14 2011, 09:02 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 14 2011, 03:40 PM)
What's the offending word then?? Not "*fagg*" is it??

confused13.gif

gay is not only a meatball and gay is not only a cigarette. They're also derogatory terms for homosexual.

doh.gif

This place is weird.

Is it the forum for Canadian Rush fans?

My dad used to f-a-g for David Cameron at Eton.

Isn't life strange?

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Jan 15 2011, 04:15 PM)

Honestly, shut up!

I don't care if you use any of those words, but your usage of ZED instead of ZEE isn't working for me, buddy. You're an American for Christ's sake. angry.gif

tongue.gif

QUOTE (PhilipYYZ @ Jan 15 2011, 11:07 PM)
This is why Canada sucks. The US wouldn't even let this happen.

Yep, you got it. This place blows!!

sarcasm.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jan 16 2011, 01:01 AM)
QUOTE (PhilipYYZ @ Jan 16 2011, 12:07 PM)

Are you joking? That crap could easily happen in the states

Yes, and I'm surprised it hasn't already.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jan 16 2011, 01:28 AM)

confused13.gif

gay is not only a meatball and gay is not only a cigarette. They're also derogatory terms for homosexual.

doh.gif

This place is weird.

Isn't life strange?

It so appears to be.

The Moody Blues are a great bunch of Irons.

QUOTE (Cosy Toes @ Jan 16 2011, 11:50 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jan 16 2011, 01:28 AM)

confused13.gif

doh.gif

This place is weird.

Isn't life strange?

It so appears to be.

The Moody Blues are a great bunch of Irons.

Knew you'd get that one! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Jan 17 2011, 06:46 AM)

Well, I remember in the early 90s a Tom Petty lyric "roll another joint" was altered and morphed into various creatures that were ALL incomprehensible. War on drugs and evil Petty lyrics and all sarcasm.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jan 17 2011, 06:26 AM)
QUOTE (Tarkus406 @ Jan 17 2011, 06:46 AM)

Well, I remember in the early 90s a Tom Petty lyric "roll another joint" was altered and morphed into various creatures that were ALL incomprehensible. War on drugs and evil Petty lyrics and all sarcasm.gif

My radio station must be really cool then because they let that slide and also the gay part of Money for Nothing. I dunno if anybody complains about it either.

I find this just ridiculous. There are songs on the radio about abusing women, dealing drugs and murder while dropping the n-bomb and they're banning a song for using gay.

Like King Whompus said, if you don't like what you hear, change the station.

QUOTE (usb_connector @ Jan 20 2011, 11:20 PM)

Like King Whompus said, if you don't like what you hear, change the station.

I don't disagree with this AT ALL. However, this opinion has NEVER worked (in regards to people agreeing and being satisfied that is) and WILL NEVER work in the way western culture generally works

Archived