Money for nothin' banned rom radio in Canada

Tom Sawyer

Dire Straits hit 'Money for nothing...' banned for being homophobic

Dire Straits' cult hit number 'Money For Nothing (and the chicks for free)' has been banned from Canadian airwaves, 26 years after it''s release, for being 'extremely offensive' to gays and lesbians. The song written by Mark Knopfler, contains derogatory slang and can now no longer be played in its original form, reported Daily Mail online.

Any station that wants to play the song will have to edit it or disguise the word, according to a ruling by the Canadian Broadcasts Standards Council.

The decision came after a listener complained that the broadcast of unedited version of the song, which mentions the word three times, was extremely offensive to gay, lesbian and bisexual people.

The council concluded that the word when used to describe a homosexual man, is a word "that, even if entirely or marginally acceptable in earlier days, is no longer so."

It's a "cult hit number", is that code for a steaming pile of sh*t?

It's not the first time Dire Straits have been banned. In 1989, the Supreme Court in Tuvalu, in the Pacific, banned their music on grounds of public safety. After being subjected to Brothers In Arms and Alchemy, grown men were seen to stab at their ears with sharp kitchen implements. 4 women were caught trying to staple headbands to goats also.*

(May not be true)

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jan 14 2011, 04:03 PM)

It's not the first time Dire Straits have been banned. In 1989, the Supreme Court in Tuvalu, in the Pacific, banned their music on grounds of public safety. After being subjected to Brothers In Arms and Alchemy, grown men were seen to stab at their ears with sharp kitchen implements. 4 women were caught trying to staple headbands to goats also.*

(May not be true)

rofl3.gif

You're a fan then? tongue.gif

So you don't want to come to my Dire Straits/Eagles night?

Mark Knopfler:

"The song's lyrics are written from the point of view of a blue-collar worker watching music videos and commenting on what he sees. To achieve the effect of such a layman making such casual everyday commentary, Dire Straits' lead singer and songwriter Mark Knopfler used a vocal style known as Sprechstimme.

Knopfler described the writing of the song in a 1985 interview with critic Bill Flanagan:

'The lead character in "Money for Nothing" is a guy who works in the hardware department in a television/custom kitchen/refrigerator/microwave appliance store. He's singing the song. I wrote the song when I was actually in the store. I borrowed a bit of paper and started to write the song down in the store. I wanted to use a lot of the language that the real guy actually used when I heard him, because it was more real.'"

Of course it's not homophobic. PC gone mad. Again.

To me, this is ridiculous. Seriously.

It's just another example of some people wanting every little thing on this earth to suit their specific beliefs and tastes.

They feel this hurts their 'rights'. BUT, last time I checked, free speech is also a right that everyone has. Music is all about free speech. Listen, at times, Neil Peart himself seems to take jabs at things I believe in, but I'm not going to try and get him to stop. It's not my place to do so.

If you don't like a song, then DON'T listen to it! If it comes on the radio, change the station. That simple. It's the same with shows like 'Family Guy'. They take alot of grief over the things they do from different groups of people (which I understand as they push boundries at times), but that's the thing. If you don't like it, you don't watch it. That, and it's just a freakin' cartoon. Just like in the end, 'Money For Nothing' is just a song. A song from 1985!!

Now, don't get me wrong. I am not saying or condoning what is said in the song, or the meaning behind it, because to be honest...I'm not exactly sure what Dire Straits were getting at (though the song is decent IMO).

I just find it ironic that some people feel the need to make their opinions known to the entire universe over every little thing. Sorry, all of this is just IMO. ph34r.gif

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jan 14 2011, 06:03 PM)

(May not be true)

icon_really_happy_guy.gif

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jan 14 2011, 11:33 AM)
Mark Knopfler:

"The song's lyrics are written from the point of view of a blue-collar worker watching music videos and commenting on what he sees. To achieve the effect of such a layman making such casual everyday commentary, Dire Straits' lead singer and songwriter Mark Knopfler used a vocal style known as Sprechstimme.

Knopfler described the writing of the song in a 1985 interview with critic Bill Flanagan:

'The lead character in "Money for Nothing" is a guy who works in the hardware department in a television/custom kitchen/refrigerator/microwave appliance store. He's singing the song. I wrote the song when I was actually in the store. I borrowed a bit of paper and started to write the song down in the store. I wanted to use a lot of the language that the real guy actually used when I heard him, because it was more real.'"

Of course it's not homophobic. PC gone mad. Again.

Yeah, it's not the first time that a "message" was totally lost through censorship (in this case outright banning). Reminds me of the recent re-write of Huckleberry Finn. They censor this because they feel people aren't smart enough to understand the difference between the slur and its greater meaning in the context of the work.

Good, that song blows

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jan 14 2011, 09:02 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 14 2011, 03:40 PM)
What's the offending word then?? Not "*fagg*" is it??

confused13.gif

gay is not only a meatball and gay is not only a cigarette. They're also derogatory terms for homosexual.

doh.gif

This place is weird.

Is it the forum for Canadian Rush fans?

My dad used to f-a-g for David Cameron at Eton.

I think it's ironic that Canada will let shit (Steve Miller) be played and f*ck (The Who's WHo are You) but they edit out this song. wacko.gif

QUOTE (VarianStar @ Jan 14 2011, 09:22 AM)
Oh for crying out loud, the song may be bad but it's not homophobic!

Seriously. I tend to be overtly sensitive about things offensive to LGBT people, but this is ridiculous. Yeah, there are some derogatory words in there, but look at the context they're used in. It's clearly not meant that way, and I really doubt that many LGBT people got too freaked out by that song, especially one that's so old. This just seems really silly to me.

Archived