Depressing songs

HowItIs

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I played a LOT of depressing music between the years of 2004 and 2008. Bad bad time for me. Lots of Indigo Girls, Porcupine Tree, and Radiohead.

These days I'm in a much better place so I can only listen to those artists (or at least those particular songs) every so often.

Radiohead - Let Down

Porcupine Tree - Heart Attack in a Layby

Indigo Girls - Ghost

One of these days I'll do my "stalker" version of Genesis' "Please Don't Ask".

QUOTE (Lamelight @ Jan 14 2011, 11:23 AM)
QUOTE (Ultra @ Jan 14 2011, 05:00 AM)
Joy Division -

Yes. I'd say especially New Dawn Fades and Twenty Four Hours.

Ha, I just realized I didnt actually write down a song name. I do remember considering a lot though. Heh, maybe its better to leave it blank, pretty much anything by them would fit.

One song that always gets me half-depressed, half-nostalgic is

by blink-182. I used to listen to this song all the time when I was younger, so there is a lot of memories attached to it, hence the nostalgia. The song itself is about a suicide, hence the depression.

Pretty much anything by Slowdive puts me in a melancholic mood.

is a really dark song that often puts me in a similar mood. One of their demos,
, is one of those songs that sounds happy, but it is melancholic at the same time, at least for me. Very dreamy stuff.

Finally, stuff by Robin Guthrie tends to be moody. Specifically, he has a song called "The Day Star", which is not on YouTube, that is pretty emotional. Another one would be Conquering The Romantic. Great atmospheres.

I have tons more stuff, too. I enjoy sad music, actually. It tends to be extremely beautiful.

Our Lady Peace - Clumsy is a downer. It sounds good though. I rarely seriously listen to lyrics. If I did there would be a lot of songs like this that I really like that I wouldve missed out on.

QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ Jan 12 2011, 10:36 PM)
Sussodio - Phil Collins

This song is AWFUL. It makes me want to cry.

This has brought me to tears as well. Especially when I consider he did this less than a decade after Sqonk.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jan 13 2011, 12:41 PM)
I know .01% of the people on this board are country fans (I'm included) but Whiskey Lullaby is wicked depressing!  By Brad Paisley and Allison Kraus

I love that song! I've been listening to it for years, and it's one of my favorite Brad Paisley songs.

QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Jan 14 2011, 08:08 PM)
One song that always gets me half-depressed, half-nostalgic is Adam's Song by blink-182. I used to listen to this song all the time when I was younger, so there is a lot of memories attached to it, hence the nostalgia. The song itself is about a suicide, hence the depression..

<3

blink-182 - Adam's Song, GO! (about a boy wanting to get his mother away from an abusive father), Stay Together for the Kids (a father writing to his ex-wife about the effects of their divorce on the children)

Fall Out Boy - Calm Before the Storm (I listened to it after my last game seeing Bobby Cox as the manager of the Braves, which we lost, so it's depressing for me)

Morrissey - Tomorrow, Hold on to Your Friends

The Smiths - The Headmaster Ritual

Just a few off the top of my head.

leaving hope (it's on nine inch nails still album) i first heard it on wednesday and i just broke down (haven't cried for as long as i can remember) a stunningly beautiful piece of music (in my opinion)

Pretty much anything by Slowdive puts me in a melancholic mood. Avalyn I is a really dark song that often puts me in a similar mood. One of their demos, I Saw The Sun, is one of those songs that sounds happy, but it is melancholic at the same time, at least for me. Very dreamy stuff.

I'm pretty impressed by these guys. They remind me of Sigur Ros, but a little more streamlined. Plus I love anything in that shoegaze/dream pop realm.

Where can I find I Saw The Sun? I checked their wiki page but found nothing about that song. It's really good

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Jan 16 2011, 07:45 AM)
Pretty much anything by Slowdive puts me in a melancholic mood. Avalyn I is a really dark song that often puts me in a similar mood. One of their demos, I Saw The Sun, is one of those songs that sounds happy, but it is melancholic at the same time, at least for me. Very dreamy stuff.

I'm pretty impressed by these guys. They remind me of Sigur Ros, but a little more streamlined. Plus I love anything in that shoegaze/dream pop realm.

Where can I find I Saw The Sun? I checked their wiki page but found nothing about that song. It's really good

Yeah, I love them!

And "I Saw The Sun" is an unreleased track, most likely just a demo, that was found on some tapes way back when. It and a bunch of other unreleased goodies have been compiled on the unofficial bootleg, aptly titled, I Saw The Sun. I have not yet been able to find it in lossless format, but it is posted to this blog entry for download in MP3 (192 kbps):

http://teenshoegaze.blogspot.com/2010/10/s...eleased_15.html

trink39.gif

I always get bummed out when I hear Cats In The Cradle by Harry Chapin. I don't particularly care for it, but the soft rock station they pipe into the office plays it regularly. Every time I hear it, I just want to run home and hug my kids.

And for depressing songs, look no further than the Cure or Joy Division.

Almost any song or cover by Cat Power (I think it's just her sound), but this one really gets me down:

I saw him perform this live and I think it was the most moving experience I have been witness to in my life.

There are more (a lot by Pink Floyd), but those are most notable on my iPod.

QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Jan 21 2011, 04:59 PM)

Yeah, I love them!

And "I Saw The Sun" is an unreleased track, most likely just a demo, that was found on some tapes way back when. It and a bunch of other unreleased goodies have been compiled on the unofficial bootleg, aptly titled, I Saw The Sun. I have not yet been able to find it in lossless format, but it is posted to this blog entry for download in MP3 (192 kbps):

trink39.gif

I love Slowdive. One of their more depressing songs is "Erik's Song" from their "Just for a Day" CD.

I bought that album back in 2003 just before the tragic fire at the Station Nightclub fire in Warwick, Rhode Island.

Every time I hear that particular song, I think of that tragedy.

Erik's Song

QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Jan 21 2011, 04:59 PM)

Yeah, I love them!

trink39.gif

Awesome! I'm d/ling now.

I've been listening to Just For A Day for a week or so now and have been letting it sink in slowly. Such dreary, emotional music. I prefer stuff like this to upbeat music anyday

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jan 21 2011, 05:08 PM)
I always get bummed out when I hear Cats In The Cradle by Harry Chapin.  I don't particularly care for it, but the soft rock station they pipe into the office plays it regularly.  Every time I hear it, I just want to run home and hug my kids.

Yes!

This is one of my all-time favorites. I don't usually enjoy music for the lyrics but this one just gets me.....makes me sad about my father who is no longer with me and my 16 month old son.....it's all so true and it's such a vicious cycle

The Necromancer and Fountain of Lamneth both have kind of depressing sounds to them in a good way. Not so much the lyrics, but the music and overall feel of the songs

Also:

No Excuses-Alice in Chains

All about Lane Stayley succombing back to heroin, and we all know how that turned out sad.gif

Welcome to the Black Parade-My Chemical Romance

The song, not the album as much....I inerpret it as a father having high hopes for his boy and the boy feeling left he's letting his dad down

The Tourist-Radiohead

A lot of Radiohead sounds like this, but just has kind of a depressing and emotional feel to it

1979-Smashing Pumpkins

Seems like that was a pretty crappy year for ol' Billy Corgan

The Cure - Plainsong

"I think it's dark and it looks like rain"

You said

"And the wind is blowing like it's the end of the world"

You said

"And it's so cold

It's like the cold if you were dead"

And then you smiled

For a second

"I think I'm old and I'm feeling pain"