Nitrous Oxide for Labor Pain Relief

CeeJ

I've never given birth to a baby (no, really...I haven't!), but I've had nitrous oxide at the dentist. Years ago, I remember it numbed the pain, and also put me in a slightly fuzzy, floating-on-clouds kind of state. When I had it a couple of years ago during a tooth extraction, the fuzzy effect was barely noticeable.

I imagine the pain experienced during most childbirths is considerably more severe than having a tooth pulled. Would the amount of gas needed to numb the pain of childbirth make the woman "fuzzy" enough to be sort of "out of it" for the childbirthing experience?

Unless we have a doctor in the house who sees this thread, I'm not expecting a definitive expert answer. I'm just curious is all.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 7 2011, 12:29 AM)
I've never given birth to a baby (no, really...I haven't!), but I've had nitrous oxide at the dentist. Years ago, I remember it numbed the pain, and also put me in a slightly fuzzy, floating-on-clouds kind of state. When I had it a couple of years ago during a tooth extraction, the fuzzy effect was barely noticeable.

I imagine the pain experienced during most childbirths is considerably more severe than having a tooth pulled. Would the amount of gas needed to numb the pain of childbirth make the woman "fuzzy" enough to be sort of "out of it" for the childbirthing experience?

Unless we have a doctor in the house who sees this thread, I'm not expecting a definitive expert answer. I'm just curious is all.

I think that n.o was the main drug in what they used in the old days. My mom was asleep for all her births, including me. It was called twi-nite sleep or twi-lite sleep, something like that. In the right dosage, it just puts you out. I have no idea if the labor continues as normal, or if they have to use forceps. I would imagine without the mother's help in pushing, it's going to lead to forceps, which I can't understand.

As far as "Would the amount of gas needed to numb the pain of childbirth make the woman "fuzzy" enough to be sort of "out of it" for the child birthing experience?"

I can not give you that "definitive expert answer" but I can tell you some of what I have read.

This is not to "numb" the pain. This is to make you "fuzzy" enough to get through the pain with each contraction.

Contraction starts and mothers starts to breathe through the mask through the contraction. This will keep her "fuzzy" enough to get through. This isn't a "pain free" option. This is a "pain relief" option that also keeps your baby safe. As the contraction is coming to an end, the mother stops breathing in the Nitrous Oxide, by removing the mask. This is all on her. She has control of the mask and how "fuzzy" she becomes.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jan 7 2011, 01:26 PM)
QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jan 7 2011, 01:22 PM)
I feel the childbirth argument is SOCN territory...

confused13.gif

It's about forms of childbirth, NOT forms of abortion or any kind of laws. Why would it need to be moved???

I tend to agree. At this point, this thread is totally fine out here. Mara's thread was in danger of going into SOCN territory at one point, but thankfully it didn't.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 7 2011, 02:29 PM)
Mara's thread was in danger of going into SOCN territory at one point, but thankfully it didn't.

Well, that's why I said what I did. That thread plus ANOTHER thread trying to sway opinions on the same topic that's pretty personal seems it could get out of hand. But, I'm not an admin; just a regular stating my opposing opinion, likewise.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 7 2011, 03:29 PM)

confused13.gif

It's about forms of childbirth, NOT forms of abortion or any kind of laws. Why would it need to be moved???

I tend to agree. At this point, this thread is totally fine out here. Mara's thread was in danger of going into SOCN territory at one point, but thankfully it didn't.

How are either threads political? They're not even religious. It's a RANDOM topic, isn't it? With RANDOM opinions being posted that are neither religious or political. Now dissenting opinions on anything have to be moved to SOCN? I seriously don't get this?

As to another thread being made to SWAY opinions... that's ludicrous. It was made as to NOT continue the HIJACK of the original pain thread. Let's not get silly.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jan 7 2011, 03:04 PM)

confused13.gif

How are either threads political? They're not even religious. It's a RANDOM topic, isn't it? With RANDOM opinions being posted that are neither religious or political. Now dissenting opinions on anything have to be moved to SOCN? I seriously don't get this?

As to another thread being made to SWAY opinions... that's ludicrous. It was made as to NOT continue the HIJACK of the original pain thread. Let's not get silly.

I never considered this a SOCN topic. I actually thought

about if it belonged in NWW. The reason I didn't put it there was cause I

thought might not be read by some.

confused13.gif

You know....I made a harmless reference to the other thread, only because things that were discussed in there clearly inspired this one. I purposely didn't get specific because I didn't want to hijack CeeJ's thread here. You could have recognized that and just let it go.

Shall I continue, or can we leave it at that and let this thread get back on topic? Your choice.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 7 2011, 04:15 PM)

confused13.gif

You know....I made a harmless reference to the other thread, only because things that were discussed in there clearly inspired this one. I purposely didn't get specific because I didn't want to hijack CeeJ's thread here. You could have recognized that and just let it go.

Shall I continue, or can we leave it at that and let this thread get back on topic? Your choice.

The second part of my post was in reference to the post that Iluvgeddy made. Thought that was clear.

Hate the hijacking, but because of her posts, i would LOVE to know how either threads are considered political, religious, or anything that would need to get it moved to SOCN. Where's the problem in wanting to know that? If you have an answer, i don't mind hearing it. Ceej hijacked the pain thread, apologized for it and then took it to pms, but then the hijack continued when others continued speaking about it anyway. She started another thread to continue her point about the dangers of drugs being used in childbirth. BIG DEAL. It's not political at all, and since it's not going anywhere toward abortion... other than the mention that one of the drugs involved in epidurals was approved for abortions, rather than pain relief in labor... there's no connection to anything political and Iluvgeddy's request was silly.

I'm fine with the continuance of the hijack if you have an answer.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jan 7 2011, 03:32 PM)

confused13.gif

The second part of my post was in reference to the post that Iluvgeddy made. Thought that was clear.

Hate the hijacking, but because of her posts, i would LOVE to know how either threads are considered political, religious, or anything that would need to get it moved to SOCN. Where's the problem in wanting to know that? If you have an answer, i don't mind hearing it. Ceej hijacked the pain thread, apologized for it and then took it to pms, but then the hijack continued when others continued speaking about it anyway. She started another thread to continue her point about the dangers of drugs being used in childbirth. BIG DEAL. It's not political at all, and since it's not going anywhere toward abortion... other than the mention that one of the drugs involved in epidurals was approved for abortions, rather than pain relief in labor... there's no connection to anything political and Iluvgeddy's request was silly.

I realized the second part of that post (in bold up there) was in reference to ILG's post. I chose to not comment on that at all.

What I did comment on was whether this thread or Mara's thread was in any way political enough to need a move to SOCN. You didn't think so, and I agreed with you. And yet, here we are discussing it anyway. Seems kind of pointless, no?

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 7 2011, 04:36 PM)

confused13.gif

I realized the second part of that post (in bold up there) was in reference to ILG's post. I chose to not comment on that at all.

What I did comment on was whether this thread or Mara's thread was in any way political enough to need a move to SOCN. You didn't think so, and I agreed with you. And yet, here we are discussing it anyway. Seems kind of pointless, no?

Okay, confused, but okay.

Here is another way of getting through some of that labor.

Hypnosis for childbirth

If you check out this link there are actually 2 free MP3's you can download.

1 talks about what this is and the other trains you to relax

smile.gif

Neat concept.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jan 7 2011, 03:40 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 7 2011, 04:36 PM)

confused13.gif

Okay, confused, but okay.

Yeah, there's a lot going on in here. I explained to both you and ILG that these two threads were, at this point, fine out here. If they get to the point where they break off on a tangent and need to be moved, we'll deal with it then.

That's it. Let's move on. (EDIT: I see CeeJ is doing just that. Excellent.)

And yeah, this could have been posted in NWW, and maybe it's more up that section's alley, but it's okay here.

I feel the topic is comparable to the breastfeeding/bottle debate which gets political (trust me, been there and not on this forum).

If it has not yet - fine, great and dandy. I'm getting out before I have more demands to explain myself over a simple statement.. eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jan 7 2011, 03:53 PM)
I feel the topic is comparable to the breastfeeding/bottle debate which gets political (trust me, been there and not on this forum).

If it has not yet - fine, great and dandy. I'm getting out before I have more demands to explain myself over a simple statement.. eyesre4.gif

Political, or just heated? Heated is okay out here, political is not. These two threads could have turned political, but they didn't -- they simply got heated.

I understand your concerns and you DO have the right to post your opinions, but no need to worry about this. Whenever a thread goes political, we move it, and no one gets hurt. cool.gif

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jan 7 2011, 03:53 PM)

I really don't care if you wanna talk in here or not but I do have a question...

Is a forum still an online discussion site where people can hold conversations in the form of posted messages?

If you see a topic and wanna contribute or ASK a question, you do. It's what these boards are for, aren't they?

No one said you had to come into this thread. See YA!!!

Archived