What's For Dinner?

The Owl

Thursday Night is Sub night

Me and the boys make a 1 1/2 sub together. We have perfected the cloning of a Jersey Mike's #5

What's that? :D

http://www.jerseymikes.com/images/products/5.jpg

The Super Sub

Provolone, ham, prosciuttini and cappacuolo

Fresh ingredients, the best deli meats make THE difference.

Thanks,

I will have try it. :D

Do you have Jersey Mikes in Alaska?

No,

That's why I asked. :P

Ok. Make sure you put on the oil and vinegar at first shot. Then dial it back from there if you can't handle it

Handle what?

BTW, do you ever toast it?

Man, don't toast your sub. Your coolness factor, which is a 10, may suffer.

• Like 1

Me and the boys make a 1 1/2 sub together. We have perfected the cloning of a Jersey Mike's #5

The Super Sub

Thanks,

No,

Ok. Make sure you put on the oil and vinegar at first shot. Then dial it back from there if you can't handle it

Handle what?

BTW, do you ever toast it?

Man, don't toast your sub. Your coolness factor, which is a 10, may suffer.

Well,

I like it both ways depending on the sub. I will take your word for it.

• Like 1

The Super Sub

Thanks,

No,

What does that mean??

• Like 1

The Super Sub

Thanks,

No,

What does that mean??

I didn't type that. My cat walked across the keyboard and that came out. Hmmmfff. Interesting. Anyway, I think what the cat wanted to communicate is this--Make sure you apply oil and vinegar on the sub when you try the sub. Then adjust to your taste accordingly. I think that's what my cat was trying to say

• Like 2

What does "Mike's Way" mean (I see that referenced on their site with no details) - is that the oil and vinegar?

I have a personal blender at home, and I love making my own sub dressing... just some olive oil, red wine (or balsamic) vinegar, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, basil. Zip it up for a second, that's a good sammich.

• Like 2

What does "Mike's Way" mean (I see that referenced on their site with no details) - is that the oil and vinegar?

I have a personal blender at home, and I love making my own sub dressing... just some olive oil, red wine (or balsamic) vinegar, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, basil. Zip it up for a second, that's a good sammich.

A personal blender? you mean this guy?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/30/Zentai_BDSM.jpg/220px-Zentai_BDSM.jpg

• Like 1

What the hell is that?!?

This:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41S05c%2BgJJL._SY300_.jpg

Oooooohhhh.

Mike's way is essentially everything on it. What you've got going on there sounds awesome.

Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 1

Anyone like fried softshell crab?

Holy shit, it sucks! Went to a sushi place and met some friends. The shell is still on, just soft and it crunches up when fried. It was in a roll I got and it was not good!

Everything else was great. Man was the saki good.

Holy shit, it sucks! Went to a sushi place and met some friends. The shell is still on, just soft and it crunches up when fried. It was in a roll I got and it was not good!

How disappointing! I've never had soft shell crab but it seems like everyone raves about it. Maybe you just had a bad one or it wasn't prepared correctly? Bummer. :(

Since tonight was Friday night I made kid-friendly finger food which I usually do every Friday. We eat finger food and watch a movie the kids pick out. I made BBQ bacon cheese burger crescent roll-ups. Really easy and surprisingly tasty. Just brown some beef, add onion, garlic, BBQ sauce and roll the mixture up with some cheese and bacon (I had leftover bacon in the fridge from earlier) in crescent dough. Bake. Voila. Of course I also made a salad so I could get vegetables into people.
  • Like 2

Being from Maryland, I had seen soft shell crab sandwiches since I was a little kid. The one time I tried it, I really didn't like it. I'll stick with jumbo lump crab cakes and cream of crab soup.

• Like 1

Since tonight was Friday night I made kid-friendly finger food which I usually do every Friday. We eat finger food and watch a movie the kids pick out. I made BBQ bacon cheese burger crescent roll-ups. Really easy and surprisingly tasty. Just brown some beef, add onion, garlic, BBQ sauce and roll the mixture up with some cheese and bacon (I had leftover bacon in the fridge from earlier) in crescent dough. Bake. Voila. Of course I also made a salad so I could get vegetables into people.

Sounds really good,

What do you mean by roll the mixture up with some cheese and bacon?

How disappointing! I've never had soft shell crab but it seems like everyone raves about it. Maybe you just had a bad one or it wasn't prepared correctly? Bummer. :(

From my experience it depends on the batter...like any fried food

Sounds really good,

Adding it with the meat mixture before rolling the entire concoction up in crescent dough.

So, unroll the crescent dough, put a spoonful of meat mixture on the wide end, sprinkle some cheese and bacon on top and then carefully roll it up from fat end to narrow end.

This may become a regular after school snack. I bet I could make a bunch the day before and pop a tray in the oven when the kids gets home.

• Like 1

Being from Maryland, I had seen soft shell crab sandwiches since I was a little kid. The one time I tried it, I really didn't like it. I'll stick with jumbo lump crab cakes and cream of crab soup.

Me too! I love both of those, loved the crab cakes at this little bar near Crofton (where I lived while in MD). When I left, I talked to them... they gave me their recipe. The secret they said was club crackers for the binding. I come close, but not quite as good...

Softshell crab I guess depends on how soft the shell is. Maybe mine wasn't as soft as it's supposed to be? The crab was good, the batter was good, the shell left gritty crap in my teeth. Not a big fan of that

Sounds really good,

Adding it with the meat mixture before rolling the entire concoction up in crescent dough.

So, unroll the crescent dough, put a spoonful of meat mixture on the wide end, sprinkle some cheese and bacon on top and then carefully roll it up from fat end to narrow end.

This may become a regular after school snack. I bet I could make a bunch the day before and pop a tray in the oven when the kids gets home.

Thanks,

What temp and for how long?

Sounds really good,

Thanks,

What temp and for how long?

375° for 15. :)

• Like 1

Boiled cabbage, carrots and red potatoes. :)

Do you mush it all together?

Cut it in big chunks before I boil it but no mushing. Cottage cheese is good with this too. :)

Boiled cabbage, carrots and red potatoes. :)

Do you mush it all together?

Cut it in big chunks before I boil it but no mushing. Cottage cheese is good with this too. :)

You boil the cabbage, carrots and red potatoes all together in one pot?

That sounds good with the cottage cheese. I'm going to have to try this sometime. I think I would like it very much. I like cold stuff mixed in with hot (i.e. coleslaw mixed in with mashed potatoes).