What's For Dinner?

The Owl

I strayed away from Raw tonight... just a lil bit :blush:

I made vermicelli noodles with cilantro, green peppers, green onions, bean sprouts, carrots, peanuts and a homemade peanut sattay sauce.

Came out pretty damn good!

:)

That sounds interesting,

Do you have a recipe? :D

The weather has turned too sh**! So it's slow cooked pot roast with all the trimmings.

Grilled mahi-mahi with fresh fruit salsa and Cointreau citrus sauce. And broccoli. And a killer Long Island.

I wish every day could be today

Damn,

That sounds awesome! The fruit salsa sounds really interesting . Do you have a recipe fro it? :D

I've been experimenting in the kitchen and had two pretty neat dishes that I kind of invented the past two weeks. At least once a week I like to cook dishes that I know my husband will really enjoy, sadly they end up being very similar and very "white" because of how picky he is but I've been sneaking extra flavors in here and there and he's starting to get used to it and be a little more open minded.

Last week I took phyllo dough and two chicken breasts, I cooked the chicken in olive oil, garlic powder, salt, pepper and marinara sauce. Then I chopped baby bella mushrooms, sauteed them in white wine and added fresh garlic and a shallot. I put it all in a food processor then made little "turnovers" with the chicken/mushroom mix and some Swiss and jack cheese. They looked horrible because it was the first time I had ever worked with phyllo dough, but they were really tasty. I smothered them in more marinara sauce so that we couldn't see how ugly they were.

Two days ago I ended up making mashed potatoes but this time I was able to sneak in sour cream and paprika and my husband ended up loving it, then I roasted baby carrots in balsamic vinegar and olive oil, made rosemary foccacia bread and then panko-crusted chicken breast. I really love breading chicken with the panko crumbs, they add a great crunch and turn a lovely golden brown. I also added a bit of flour, salt, pepper, paprika, and thyme to the breading.

• Like 2

Grilled mahi-mahi with fresh fruit salsa and Cointreau citrus sauce. And broccoli. And a killer Long Island.

Damn,

That sounds awesome! The fruit salsa sounds really interesting . Do you have a recipe fro it? :D

I don't. It was at a restaurant. Sorry!

Damn,

I don't. It was at a restaurant. Sorry!

Bummer,

Maybe you can ask the chef next time. :D

Edited by troutman

Before I go to bed last night Karen hands me a recepie from her note book and says "prep this before you go to work and we'll have it for dinner." So here it is-"Lebanese Lemon Chicken", made with 1 1/2 lbs of boneless skinless chicken breast.

Marinade: Chop 2 large cloves of garlic. Place in a bowl with 1/2 tsp salt. Mash garlic into the salt with the back of a spoon to form a paste. Add 1/2 cup EVOO, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1/4 tsp black pepper and 1/2 tsp paprika. Mix well.

Cut each chicken breast in half. Place chicken pieces in marinade and toss to coat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, place bowl in refrigerator, and marinate minimum 4 hours (this batch went 8 hours, and 12 hours won't hurt either.)

Remove chicken, place marinade in saucepan and bring marinade to a boil, skimming off the top layer of foam or scum. Grill chicken for 10 minutes per side, basting frequently with boiled marinade.

With chicken breasts alone this was yummy. Now I want to add onions and peppers and make chicken kabobs-that should be outstanding!

• Like 1

Before I go to bed last night Karen hands me a recepie from her note book and says "prep this before you go to work and we'll have it for dinner." So here it is-"Lebanese Lemon Chicken", made with 1 1/2 lbs of boneless skinless chicken breast.

Marinade: Chop 2 large cloves of garlic. Place in a bowl with 1/2 tsp salt. Mash garlic into the salt with the back of a spoon to form a paste. Add 1/2 cup EVOO, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1/4 tsp black pepper and 1/2 tsp paprika. Mix well.

Cut each chicken breast in half. Place chicken pieces in marinade and toss to coat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, place bowl in refrigerator, and marinate minimum 4 hours (this batch went 8 hours, and 12 hours won't hurt either.)

Remove chicken, place marinade in saucepan and bring marinade to a boil, skimming off the top layer of foam or scum. Grill chicken for 10 minutes per side, basting frequently with boiled marinade.

With chicken breasts alone this was yummy. Now I want to add onions and peppers and make chicken kabobs-that should be outstanding!

I am picky when it comes to chicken. This does sound tastey.

Quinoa rotelli with seasoned ground turkey, marinara sauce, baked in the oven with zucchini and fresh-grated parmesan, topped with sun-dried tomato.

:sigh:

Now I can't wait for dinner.

• Like 1

Quinoa rotelli with seasoned ground turkey, marinara sauce, baked in the oven with zucchini and fresh-grated parmesan, topped with sun-dried tomato.

• Like 1

Uhm kind of, though not measured out.

I'm supposed to be mostly gluten free so I make a pot of regular pasta for my husband and then a pot of the quinoa (gluten free pasta). My recipe varies but here's what I did yesterday...

Everything is from Trader Joe's.

I had one package of ground 2% fat turkey

1 bag pene (if you're going with regular pasta)

1 1/2 bottles Trader Joe's organic marinara sauce

Fresh Parmesan

1 Zucchini

About two tablespoons olive oil

Garlic (you can use garlic powered or finely chopped fresh - about two cloves)

Dried oregano

Dried Thyme

Dried basil

Sea salt

Fresh cracked pepper

So I just heat up the olive oil in my pan, add the turkey and start breaking it all up like you would for a meat sauce or something, and then I add about 1/2 tablespoon of the oregano, basil, and about 1/4 teaspoon of thyme, then the salt and pepper to taste. After the turkey is close to being done I add 1 jar of sauce and stir that up and heat it.

When I'm cooking the pasta I make sure to not cook it all of the way because it still has to go in the oven.

So... I heat the oven to about 400 degrees, and then take out a baking/casserole dish and cover the bottom with pasta, then I add my turkey marinara and cover it with a layer of the fresh grated Parmesan, I do this for about three layers. I use half of my second marinara jar to pour over the top for extra moisture so the pasta doesn't dry out during baking.

Then I take the zucchini, which I've halved and cut into very thin "half moons) and sprinkle them on the top, add another layer of the cheese, pop in the oven and bake for about 5-8 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. When it comes out I sprinkle the sun dried tomato on top and personally I like to use crushed red pepper to add some bite to it.

Hope that helps, I'm not a very good recipe author, I pretty much wing it when I cook.

EDIT: I forgot to mention what I do with the garlic, it goes in the turkey while it's cooking.

EDIT: I meant half a TEASPOON of the oregano and basil.

Edited by gangsterfurious
  • Like 1

I'll also add that I don't normally use the 2% fat turkey, I was in a hurry when I was shopping yesterday so I picked up the wrong one but my husband said he really liked it and I liked it too. Normally I get the regular full-fat turkey and drain the excess fat and oil off before I add the marinara. I guess it could work either way.

I'm supposed to be mostly gluten free so I make a pot of regular pasta for my husband and then a pot of the quinoa (gluten free pasta). My recipe varies but here's what I did yesterday...

Fresh Parmesan

1 Zucchini

Dried oregano

Dried Thyme

Dried basil

Sea salt

Fresh cracked pepper

So I just heat up the olive oil in my pan, add the turkey and start breaking it all up like you would for a meat sauce or something, and then I add about 1/2 tablespoon of the oregano, basil, and about 1/4 teaspoon of thyme, then the salt and pepper to taste. After the turkey is close to being done I add 1 jar of sauce and stir that up and heat it.

When I'm cooking the pasta I make sure to not cook it all of the way because it still has to go in the oven.

So... I heat the oven to about 400 degrees, and then take out a baking/casserole dish and cover the bottom with pasta, then I add my turkey marinara and cover it with a layer of the fresh grated Parmesan, I do this for about three layers. I use half of my second marinara jar to pour over the top for extra moisture so the pasta doesn't dry out during baking.

Then I take the zucchini, which I've halved and cut into very thin "half moons) and sprinkle them on the top, add another layer of the cheese, pop in the oven and bake for about 5-8 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. When it comes out I sprinkle the sun dried tomato on top and personally I like to use crushed red pepper to add some bite to it.

Hope that helps, I'm not a very good recipe author, I pretty much wing it when I cook.

Thanks,

Gonna try to make it next week. BTW, what size of baking dish?

• Like 1

Fresh Parmesan

1 Zucchini

Dried oregano

Dried Thyme

Dried basil

Sea salt

Fresh cracked pepper

Thanks,

I think that the one I have is a 10x10 square that's about 4" deep so it doesn't get filled up all of the way, but with that portion size you could get away with a tiny bit smaller.

• Like 1

Fresh Parmesan

1 Zucchini

Dried oregano

Dried Thyme

Dried basil

Sea salt

Fresh cracked pepper

Thanks,

I think that the one I have is a 10x10 square that's about 4" deep so it doesn't get filled up all of the way, but with that portion size you could get away with a tiny bit smaller.

I have 9 x13 so I will try that.

• Like 1

Check my edits, I had to change two things!
  • Like 1

Hot blondes in the sun, brunettes in the rain.

WTF