Candlebox

briremo

I know there's a bunch of people who hate on Kevin Martin and the guys as grunge posers, but I can hardly think of a live band that rocks harder than them.

I loved their last album "Into the Sun" and hope they tour again soon. If you guys haven't seen them live, check it out!

that's where I first got turned on to them. That was Roll The Bones or Hold Your Fire. I cant remember.

Anywho, Candlebox has a bunch of good tunes and like I said; live, they are unbeatable

I had their first album back in the 90's and I LOVED it. Almost every song is great, and the guitar playing is just amazing, imo. I still consider it one of the better rock albums to come along in a long time biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Cygnalschick @ Jan 2 2011, 11:52 AM)
I had their first album back in the 90's and I LOVED it. Almost every song is great, and the guitar playing is just amazing, imo. I still consider it one of the better rock albums to come along in a long time biggrin.gif

then you simply hafta get the latest "Into the Sun" disc. Really great!

Here's the hell of it. They got called grunge poseurs/grunge lite... but they're not a grunge band. Maybe more of a rock jam band with a few jazz touches, at least early on. I haven't heard much of theirs lately, I'm slacking. I think they would have done better judged on their own merits. Not as a "grunge" band on Madonna's label. Stigma city. Saw them live in '94. They took Alice In Chains place at a gig in Memorial Stadium in Seattle. Layne was... sick. They kicked out an awesome set that was perfect for the outdoor summer show vibe.

Guess I'll have to check out their new album. I wasn't aware.

QUOTE (briremo @ Jan 2 2011, 08:42 PM)

I'll check it out biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Cygnalschick @ Jan 3 2011, 11:17 AM)
QUOTE (briremo @ Jan 2 2011, 08:42 PM)

I'll check it out biggrin.gif

Hey, Lu!! bekloppt.gif

Candlebox is a REALLY good live band. I saw them in 1996 and again in 2006. Kevin Martin (? I think that's the singers name ?) can still belt out a tune perfectly. They were just as good in '06 as they were a decade earlier.

QUOTE (briremo @ Jan 1 2011, 10:54 AM)
that's where I first got turned on to them. That was Roll The Bones or Hold Your Fire. I cant remember.

Anywho, Candlebox has a bunch of good tunes and like I said; live, they are unbeatable

Well, it definitely wasn't HYF since they weren't around then.

Saw them open for RUSH during the Counterparts tour. They were pretty damn good I thought.

saw them in '94 with Rush and thought they were average. then I saw them again when they reunited in 2006 and they blew me away.

Kevin Martin is now fronting a band with the old members of the band LIVE called the Gracious Few. It's really good!

Check it!

The Gracious Few

I too saw them open up for Rush during the Counterparts tour. I thought they were pretty good. Not blown away enough to go buy one of their albums (I was in college at the time and that would cut into beer money) but glad I saw them.

I was at the Charlotte show. They played the intro to Fly By Night but quickly stopped after about 10 seconds (with an appropriate humor-intended comment along the lines that "we better stop before they kill us"). Did they do this at other shows as well????

I didn't even know they were still around. I might have to check some of the new stuff out. I remember the song 'Far Behind' being a huge hit for them. The rest of that album was pretty solid from what I remember.

Were they the last band to ever open for Rush?

Archived